1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by PwrUps, Oct 16, 2006.

I've been thinking about learning another language lately, and thought about maybe learning Ruby next...

I currently know PHP and was wondering the differences between Ruby and PHP, like speed-wise, difficulty-wise, etc.

Also if anyone can point me in the direction of tutorials for Ruby (like newbie tutorials), that'd be greatly appreciated.

PwrUps, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  2. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    It's not directly ruby, but 37signals.com did the rails framework and have lots of really usful observations about website development.

mhdoc, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  3. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are freelancer - there are more php projects, then ruby, but ruby projects are more interesting and harder

intoex, Oct 17, 2006 IP
    PwrUps likes this.
  4. PwrUps

PwrUps Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea, I've noticed there aren't as many Ruby projects, but I'm just interested in learning another language, I'm also thinking about maybe learning ASP instead of Ruby... which one do you think I should learn?

PwrUps, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  5. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    On what level do you know PHP? Learn it more professionally, make couple of serious projects on it using OOP, MVC, Smarty, Zend or other frameworks, for example cakephp. Ruby - don't know, it's fast to develop at first stage, but then.... :)

intoex, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  6. PwrUps

PwrUps Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess I should probably look into that more. I can easily get the basics of PHP done, and along with simpler OOP (nothing too complex with that yet). I should probably look into learning more of OOP and learn it more professionally. Thought Ruby might be a nice little thing to learn on the side.

PwrUps, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  7. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    Define aim why are you learning - to start some project, or to work somewhere? Ruby is good for rapid development, but it's slow for large projects

intoex, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  8. PwrUps

PwrUps Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I started to learn PHP a while back so I can make my websites do more and make use of databases and junk.

I was looking into Ruby to just expand my knowledge a bit... No real particular aim, just to learn something new and try it out.

PwrUps, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  9. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    try to start more serious project using your current knowledge in php

intoex, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  10. accel

accel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.webref.eu/ruby-on-rails-tutorial.php

Rgds

accel, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  11. RZ-1

RZ-1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its a great idea to learn another programming language. It'll give you more ways to think, and it keeps things fresh. Otherwise, its easy to start programming in a mindless cruise-control type of way.

You can do amazing things in ruby with very little work. Why not try a small tutorial and then see if you can find a project that fits a similar model.

RZ-1, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  12. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I read, Ruby is ungodly slow... compared to perl, php or even java.

It's like python, it looks funny in comparison to more C style syntax. Completely object oriented like Java.

nddb, Oct 25, 2006 IP