1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Keyword Research?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by ZacharyN, Feb 5, 2011.

Hey guys, complete IM newb here. Through my research I keep coming up with some important things to look out for before marketing/purchasing a site. Keyword research and finding the right niche is one of these. To risk sounding stupid, I was hoping some one could point me in the right direction learning about keywords, using them in google ad words etc.

Any help on this IM topic would be great help!

I looked at the 10 steps to choose right keywords and most of it was hard to handel mentally, is there anything out there more basic? So basic, on an elementary level, I am starting from scratch and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance.

ZacharyN, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  2. Amy Garrizon

Amy Garrizon Peon

Best Answers:
    Use google keywords tool to find out which keywords you should focus on.

Amy Garrizon, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  3. ZacharyN

ZacharyN Peon

Best Answers:
    Is the tool used to figure out which keyword best fits your website/niche to use in advertising? I am thoroughly and completely confused with SEO and keywords and what these tools are used for/do.

ZacharyN, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  4. Spidman

Spidman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well you're in the SEO Forums. Generally, you want your website to rank top 10 (ideally #1) for a good keyword. A good keyword is one that gets a lot of searches therefore you would get a lot of traffic.

If you're doing Adsense on your website then you also want to look for KWs with high CPC. But, traffic is #1. People will rank with keywords that get zero traffic and that's pointless.

Spidman, Feb 5, 2011 IP
    ZacharyN likes this.
  5. ZacharyN

ZacharyN Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Spidman, that did clear up a lot of confusion I had on the subject. Generally speaking, what would you say a number+ is for a keyword that "gets a lot of searches"

ZacharyN, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  6. Spidman

Spidman Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that would really depend on what you're trying to do. Why are you trying to rank this site? What's this site for?

You can make sites that profit by Amazon affiliate income, Google Adsense income, Ebay partnership, CPA offers, and a million other ways.

You need to struck a balance between ranking for a keyword that gets a lot of traffic but also doesn't have extremely difficult competitors. If the top 10 sites for that keyword have really strong backlinks, PR, content, and etc. then you should probably move on.

Spidman, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  7. sliperdm

sliperdm Peon

Best Answers:
    im also just starting out with kw research. what currently im doing is that i find any articles url and paste it into google kw tool and see what's kw coming out. but it quite hard really, i can say i only manage to find 1 good kw from 20 url articles.

any other great method to share? :)

sliperdm, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  8. ZacharyN

ZacharyN Peon

Best Answers:
    "If the top 10 sites for that keyword have really strong backlinks, PR, content, and etc. then you should probably move on."

Regarding this, how do you go about checking the competition and how strong they really are. Is there a tool out there that you could point me to?
    I really want to get into flipping forums, IM them up, building the user base and selling. How do you check the strength of the competition once you have found the keyword you want to target?

ZacharyN, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  9. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Download the free trial of MarketSamurai, or use TrafficTravis (free version is enough). I'm not sure about TrafficTravis, but MS will highlight the fields green for good and red for bad. You should first look at the amount of backlinks and the type (edu, gov would be bad), also if it's listed in DMOZ or Yahoo. Don't get intimidated by the number of pages or the backlinks to the domain (not page).

bob25, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  10. hillaryjohnson

hillaryjohnson Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey....

Here are some main points of tips which can help you in searching right keyword...
    1 Determine your target audience
    2 Guess what they’re searching
    3 Make a keyword list
    4 Check search volume
    5 Check competition
    6 Make your final cut

these all steps are very important for searching right keyword..

I mostly use //adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal to get proper idea by just insert a word or URL of website.

hillaryjohnson, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  11. Fadi4u

Fadi4u Active Member

Best Answers:
    Choosing Right Keywords For your site is one of the most crucial factor that should not be neglected in any case.. Let me Explain the Steps to Choose the right keywords for Your Website..

Go to Google Keywords Tools External
    List Down The Niche Based Keywords
    Select Locations and Languages
    Determine the Local Monthly Search Volume and Global Search Volume..
    Determine How Many Competitors are Running PPC Campaigns.
    Select Most Appropriate Keywords for Meta.

Fadi4u, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  12. Scrilla650

Scrilla650 Peon

Best Answers:
    There are courses dedicated to this but here a few basics to start with:

1) Research long tail keywords (3-5 words long) - They're usually cheaper, a lot more focused and have very little competition. The Google keyword tool is pretty much all you need.

ex) camera tripods vs lightweight camera tripods for canon 5D

2) Test - You might find a keyword with very little competition and gets you tons of clicks, but doesn't convert well. If you get 100 clicks and no sales, then it's time to drop that keyword.

Scrilla650, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  13. vanclute

vanclute Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing I believe it's worth considering is that if you use the same methods and tools as everyone else, it stands to reason you'll get roughly the same results. Which in the end means you're fighting over the same keywords as everyone else!

I find it's worth knowing how to look "off the beaten path" so to speak. I have my own methods for this, as does everyone else I know who does any "serious" keyword research. Many of us (myself obviously included) even developed our own tools to automate our methods.

These videos might help you... they're the tutorials for my private paid keyword tool, but might still turn you on to some "out of the box" ideas:

www.kwbot.com/tutorials/

Hope that helps!

vanclute, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  14. Atco-maart

Atco-maart Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to find targeted audiences and also you want to promote your site in local so use Google Insight search and also Google Trends its really helpful to you....

Atco-maart, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  15. George28

George28 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use google keyword tool and word tracker for researching keywords.You can also check with your competitor keywords.

George28, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  16. NEFTALI

NEFTALI Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes keyword research and learning where to invest your time when developing a site or a blog that will capitalize on it is easy enough... but you need a grasp of the 1,2,3's

There are several variables that others have pointed out such as

• PR (page rank),
    • Backlinks (links on other sites leading back to your site from related site)
    • Competition (how many other sites are fighting to use the same keywords)
    • Long tail keywords (phrases of 2,3 or more words where the keyword you want is being used)

and others... point being you need to understand the basics and then know how to interpret the results with FREE tools such as those provided by Google Trends/ADwords and others.

But, there is a better and much easier way to do this... both the interpretation and just plain ole having it all explained. The tool I use is called Market Samurai.

Market Samurai is sort of an army Swiss knife when it comes to researching not just keywords, but

finding relevant content
    monetizing your site
    finding relevant content
    sizing up the competition
    tracking the daily demand for a chosen keyword
    and much much more

BUT

the number one reason I can recommend this useful tool is a place called the Dojo. The Dojo is Market Samurai's inhouse series of training tutorials where the entire process of keyword research is explained.

You can check out their Dojo for FREE and heck if you don't want to use their tool Market Samurai the apply what you do learn to any other FREE tool you end up using. However, there's a lot to be gained by trying out their tool for FREE for 7 days. After 7 days if your not convinced you'll still be able to keep the Keyword portion of the tool for FREE.

It's a win win situation:)

NEFTALI, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  17. HavenX

HavenX Member

Best Answers:
    When researching for keyword try to find minimal keyword competition best describe your site this way people will always remember your site with that keyword your using.

HavenX, Feb 16, 2011 IP
  18. ZacharyN

ZacharyN Peon

Best Answers:
    @all - So helpful, thank you for your step by step instructions. You have made keyword research extremely clear to a newb, I believe I have a pretty good understanding of the steps to take to make sure the website has potential. Reading the steps, and the tools - market samurai I will surely test drive that one.

Thanks again @bob25, NEFTALI, hillaryjohnson, Fadi4u, I apologize for such a late response

ZacharyN, Feb 20, 2011 IP
  19. noel2345

noel2345 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great this is an absolutely awesome information for some new to start with.

noel2345, Feb 25, 2011 IP
  20. noel2345

noel2345 Peon

Best Answers:
    These steps have really helped me

noel2345, Feb 25, 2011 IP