1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make people write posts on my forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by lelkoun, Feb 12, 2011.

I have created a forum similar to DP 3 months ago. There are 300 registered users, but almost anyone is willing to write threads and posts.

Do you have any idea how to encourage the people to write posts?
    Thanks.

lelkoun, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  2. mike323

mike323 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried gun point?

mike323, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  3. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could always threaten them with death like Mike said. If blood and guts are not your thing, then try black mail.

Seqqa, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  4. Scula

Scula Peon

Best Answers:
    I would start threads and answer other peoples threads.

Also, when doing this, make sure your user name doesn't have admin in it...it will look more natural and encourage more people to post.

Scula, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  5. fancymouj

fancymouj Peon

Best Answers:
    Hire few forum poster and paid .. active them for at least month and i hope you will get few results soon..

fancymouj, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  6. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    pay them! pony up the goodies!

thesickearth, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  7. Joatmon

Joatmon Peon

Best Answers:
    I must agree that money is enough motivation to make people do nearly anything, so offering a select few posters small amounts might do the trick in getting others to post and accelerate the overall growth of your forum.

Joatmon, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  8. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a catch 22 situation, people won't post on forums that aren't active. And a lot of the registrants are likely to be spam.

Steve Marino, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  9. KeithKramer

KeithKramer Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been running my forums for 2 years. I have a radio show and invite listeners to go there. I am constantly putting new content on the forums, and sometimes I get so frustrated I want to pull my hair out. It gets viewed a lot, but not that many people post on a regular basis. It's a LOT OF WORK and involves a lot of promoting on other sites as well. Facebook has been great. If you have a lot of friends on Facebook, promote the living CRAP out of your forum on FB. That has been the most successful way to get new posters on my forums.

KeithKramer, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do you have anything on your site that people want and can't already get other places?

For example we have things like: http://tools.digitalpoint.com/tracker.php
    For example we have things like: http://tools.digitalpoint.com/phonehome.php

In fact this forum started as a support venue for our already existing users.

If you don't have something unique that people want, what good reason would they have to go there when there are already a million other established forums?

digitalpoint, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  11. lelkoun

lelkoun Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your replies.

I've implemented several tools on my forum (whois, IP address geolocation, word & char text counter, etc.), but none of them is so unique as your keyword tracker or computer locator.

You have a good point, I will think about it.

lelkoun, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  12. Fabulous

Fabulous Member

Best Answers:
    Host posting competitions and make interesting threads. If all else fails, hire a few forum posters. Plenty on here.

Fabulous, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  13. Mike224

Mike224 Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think its as easy creating new tools that other sites dont have (compared to back in the day when digital points was created),
    but having useful tool is definitely a discussion point (having active users already on the forum also helps to keep the posts flowing)

* Yes, the 'free' tools / services will help
    * You need content (and lots of it) that's easy to discuss. Hot topics / debatable threads
    * Pay forum posters (at least to begin with) there are many forum poster at digital points:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102
    You can also pay for forum posts or post exchange with sites like Quality Posts
    ( I wouldnt bother paying for low quality posts, but use posters with real and relevant content creation skills)
    - You need users. People dont want to talk in an empty forum and the content on the forum attracts people..

Mike224, Feb 13, 2011 IP
    lelkoun likes this.
  14. DmitryS

DmitryS Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think giving members some insentive to post will encourge them. Just try this for 1 year and when forum is active stop this

DmitryS, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  15. Language Master

Language Master Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Posters will not share their stuff in non active forums, So you should start with asking your close friends to join there and start working with you, try to post your work in similar sites and referring to your site inside the rar's files or the files / articles you share.

Language Master, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  16. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, why don't you develop some new features for your forum?

ForgottenCreature, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  17. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    unique features and tools cost money. not once did I come to dp for features/tools, nor have i used any of their
    tools. The op's site has to go through its life struggle just like all other new forums these days...its not as easy
    starting a forum today then lets say 5 years ago, but like others have said, content is important, backlinks is important.
    of course if you had some type of useful software to offer that would give you easy backlinks, then that would be a plus.
    I do not have a lot of members myself, but i do have a couple members that come to my forum, and we talk
    quite offten, just keep doing what you are doing...post, advertise, market, success is not going to come overnight....

dscurlock, Feb 21, 2011 IP
  18. sstudios

sstudios Peon

Best Answers:
    Try creating interesting topics and threads that may encourage members to post.

sstudios, May 14, 2011 IP
  19. FirstHYIPList

FirstHYIPList Peon

Best Answers:
    Conducting some contest would help such as Reward for top 10 Poster each month

FirstHYIPList, Jun 13, 2011 IP
  20. BuzzHost

BuzzHost Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think make is the right word for what you are wanting. :) Trying using something like "get"
    example "how to get my forum member to post in my forum" it is a much nicer way to approach this subject to say make them sound a bit dominant and makes us feel like we are being forced or pushed to do something we really dont wish to do.

To answer the actual question even though it was worded to me incorrectly I would say this would be a good starting point.
    If you have actual members on the forum they are there for some reason whether it be of there personal interests or for additional info on a particular subject, so try to post yourself and start conversations about the reason these people have come to your forum to start with.
    One thing I have learnt over the years about running a forum is that it is hard work you cant simply just open up a forum and expect other to do the posting.
    I would bet if you start a thread on what ever the main subject of the forum is and giving some insight to the subject and you opinion on it and ask other what they think you will get a response to it.
    Also dont stop there keep doing this people will eventually start their own threads as you start getting activity on the forum it just doesn't happen over night be patient.
    Hope this helps :) Dont give up just yet though keep trying you will get there in the end

P.S.
    I agree with this and several others who pretty much said the same thing as me

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    BuzzHost, Jul 26, 2011 IP