1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thumbnail problem

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by dlatua, Feb 15, 2011.

Is there any way to get thumbnails automatically from youtube videos?
    Currently I am using Video Thumbnails plugin, it creates an image of the video but not a thumbnail.
    The theme I am using requires a custom field "thumb" to insert a thumbnail to a post.
    So is there any way how can I create automatically thumbnails?

Thank you

dlatua, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    There are actually several thumbnails for YT videos. A main thumbnail, and four others (unsure about the total number) taken at different times during the video. In order to get the URIs of the thumbnails, you need to use a little scripting and the Gdata library that Google offers. The script just basically uses an API the queries the YT database and returns XML data about the video.

Dodger, Feb 15, 2011 IP
    dlatua likes this.
  3. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That is too complicated for me lol :eek:
    If I hire someone to do this, how much money should I offer?

Thank you

dlatua, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    That would depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Also, what theme are you using right now? You said the theme did not support thumbnails, and it would be helpful to know the theme to get a better idea of what you are up against.

Dodger, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just reading through some of that plugin, and it really does not make thumbnails as you might expect. It grabs what YouTube calls a thumbnail, which is quite large dimension-wise. The author cited using the timthumb script for shrinking the thumbnails. Another option is to kludge this by setting up a width for the image, without a height. You would set the width to the actual thumbnail size you want and the height will automatically scale on its own.

Dodger, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  6. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I know that plug-in doesn't do what I want, firstly I used it just to grab the image that it creates and to manually add it as a thumbnail, but doing this manually is just a waste of time :eek:
    Thank you for your help!

dlatua, Feb 15, 2011 IP