1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site down as I edited footer of premium theme

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by amol.gupta, Sep 6, 2009.

hi,
    I have landed into a wierd situaltion.
    I tried to edit the footer of my theme to remove the sponsors link of the theme.But now I am unable to access the site and the following message flashes on the site.
    The site is all down and I dont even have the ftp access

"This theme is released free for use under creative commons licence. All links in the footer should remain intact. These links are all family friendly and will not hurt your site in any way. This great theme is brought to you for free by these supporters"

What should I do.Please help urgently

amol.gupta, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  2. Anterpreet

Anterpreet Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, that was an encrypted code, you first need to decode it and then remove the sponsored link

BTW i suggest you to use some other theme as encrypted codes can also affect your blog security

Anterpreet, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  3. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Delete the theme by going into your Cpanel?

Why do you not have FTP access though?

gr8liverpoolfan, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  4. amol.gupta

amol.gupta Member

Best Answers:
    I did that and now its all fine ....thanx a lot guyz..

amol.gupta, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Next time follow this tutorial to remove encrypted footer links:
    http://www.wlug.net/remove-encrypted-footer-links-wordpress-themes/
    However, you should include the links somewhere on your blog since this is the agreement for using the theme.
    It's kind of an oxymoron, "The theme is free to use under Creative Commons" however "Footer links must remain in tact."

Once you have been blogging for a while, you will want to avoid these type of themes since you usually don't want someone elses link in my footer pushing insurance or hosting. There are plenty of premium themes out there in all price ranges $20 and up that you can use to avoid the hassle.

hmansfield, Sep 6, 2009 IP
    sumanhaldar likes this.
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dont try removing the links is what you should do, or dont use those themes and pay for one to be made for you.

pipes, Sep 6, 2009 IP
  7. masud7827

masud7827 Active Member

Best Answers:
    try some other theme

masud7827, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  8. amol.gupta

amol.gupta Member

Best Answers:
    I think the theme developer and the sponsors of those theme deserve the links so I have kept them in place.FOSS spirit!!
    To resolve the problem,I just deleted the theme folder from /wp-content/themes and uploaded the original theme again.It worked great for me!
    Thanks to everyone who helped!

amol.gupta, Sep 7, 2009 IP
  9. armana

armana Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi.. it is easy for solving this problem. You just rename sbbgr.cuc (footer.php) to be sbbg.cuc(foote.php) on encrypt code. then you copy 1 file footer.php to your theme (so you have 2 files, foote.php and footer.php). Now you can re-designed footer.php as you want. REMEMBER.., DONT EDIT footer.php. For more detail, you can visit my site <a href="http://de-expert.web.id/cara-mengatasi-footer-php-yang-terkunci"><strong>here</a>. archive is in indonesian language, you can ask help google to translate it . thanks

armana, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  10. armana

armana Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi.. it is easy for solving this problem.

You just rename sbbgr.cuc (footer.php) to be sbbg.cuc(foote.php) on encrypt code. then you copy 1 file footer.php to your theme (so you have 2 files, foote.php and footer.php). Now you can re-designed footer.php as you want. REMEMBER.., DONT EDIT foote.php.

For more detail, you can visit my site CARA MENGATASI footer.php YANG TERKUNCI | Trying To Be An Expert-Mani. archive is in indonesian language, you can ask help google to translate it . thanks

armana, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  11. Dwaighty

Dwaighty Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I'm re-opening this thread as I recently had the same problem and my solution could help others.

First of all, it wasn't a premium theme, it was a free theme published under the GPL license, downloaded from newwpthemes[.]com. I have nothing against crediting the author of a template with a backlink, but having 4 NOT topic-related site-wide links in the footer is bad for SEO for their low quality and bad for my visitors for linking me to such shady sites.

The links in the footer.php were not encrypted, but if you modified them (for adding a link of your own for example) the whole website became inaccessible and displayed the message listed in the first post.

To fix this you have to delete the encrypted bits of code that verify that the footer is preserved intact, which is about everything that uses the eval( ... ); function in the following files:
    - functions.php (4 occurences)
    - header.php (2 occurences)

Dwaighty, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  12. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    The solution is pretty easy.
    Don't use that theme. There are 1000's of themes out there.

hmansfield, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  13. mhinesjr

mhinesjr Peon

Best Answers:
    I know this posting was a long time ago, but I just had to thank Dawighty for your comment. It really helped me when I was in a bind. My site has been up for nearly a year, with hundreds of hits per day, and when I edited the footer to add in info about the site, it all went down.

Other people's comments about "just use another template" obviously aren't helpful, but your advice was perfect.

Thanks again!

mhinesjr, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  14. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    There are other reasons why you shouldn't use those free themes besides just the footer links. Some of these free themes contain malware. If you think just getting around the footer links will make you proud, fat, and happy ... go for it. But, at least you have been forewarned.

It would also be appreciated that you not openly promote any of these themes, for the safety of others.

If you want in depth knowledge of what these free themes can do, follow the link in my signature line. I felt strongly enough about this subject to use up valuable linking space there.

Dodger, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  15. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Going against the terms of the license is stealing. Karma will get you one day.

It may not be "helpful", but it's still true.

kiramanic, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  16. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    FREE themes aint free, because you have to give credit for the theme creator, sponsors or whatever they might be.

If you can't have those links, that choose either premium themes or create yourself.

But as already mentioned, if you remove those links, it means stealing, and i absolutely agree with kiramanic above, don't steal, because you would not want anyone does the same to you!

KimiGermany, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  17. cybercop007

cybercop007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Edit function.php all your error message gone..............
    have fun

cybercop007, Apr 19, 2011 IP
  18. danny30

danny30 Member

Best Answers:
    Hi dwaighty, i know you posted this a long time but i am having the same problem and can't access my site, it says "All the links in the footer should remain intact. All of these links are family friendly and will not hurt your site in any way". if i paid you maybe $10 could you go into my site with a guest password i can provide and delete those files to make my site accesible and also get rid of the ads on the footer?
    If you could help it would be very much appreciated as I really need to get my site back online and preferably without all the ads on the footer.

Many thanks

Danny

danny30, Oct 20, 2012 IP
  19. gabbar77

gabbar77 Peon

Best Answers:
    I once removed the encrypted code successfully....I searched for "eval" in header and functions and removed the accompanying code...if you can attach header and function file maybe i can tell what exactly to delete.

gabbar77, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  20. eshopper2

eshopper2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 509"]Thanks a lot[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

eshopper2, Nov 22, 2012 IP