1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many of you are flagged by akismet?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by simply-the-best, May 22, 2009.

Hi

Looks like it is a very nice thing catching a lots of spam everyday.
    How many of you are in the spam list of akismet?

Regards

simply-the-best, May 22, 2009 IP
  2. richromo

richromo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I find myself there. I have emailed Akismet and am told they are not a blacklist list and that some sites must feel that I am submitting spam comments which I have never done. Not sure what to do at this point.

richromo, May 22, 2009 IP
  3. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I spend a LOT of time commenting on blogs but thankfully have never been flagged. I stick to relevant blogs and often make comment posts (huge comments).

jitendraag, May 22, 2009 IP
  4. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'm not yet blocked. I have a friend who got the blank page thing done by askimet, but he was sending many comments for days and months.

JamesColin, May 23, 2009 IP
  5. Gallito

Gallito Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't been banned yet, I usually try to add to the conversation when I post a comment so I doubt it gets marked as spam too often.

Gallito, May 23, 2009 IP
  6. Jessemn

Jessemn Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't been blocked either. Although I don't comment as much as I used to...

As the moderator of a social bookmarking site that uses Askimet to verify links I can say that there are a lot of blogs out there that have been flagged. I make it pretty obvious when somebody submits a "spam" link (I flat out tell them that their link was flagged as "spam". I feel like if you're spamming your blog bad enough to get flagged then chances are you deserve it. Add to the conversation or don't post.

Jessemn, May 24, 2009 IP
  7. indyguidedotinfo

indyguidedotinfo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    so the white screen means your flagged? I get that all the tiime. pisses me off!. I don't even spam. well maybe once or twice i did

indyguidedotinfo, May 24, 2009 IP
  8. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    I know it has been almost a year ago but now I am facing the same problem - any updates at your end what could help me out?

Thanks

zlori, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  9. fslballouch

fslballouch Peon

Best Answers:
    the never take me down

fslballouch, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  10. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    Ninety nine percent of the comments we get on our blogs are spam. They are all localised and of very little interest to anyone other than the locals. But the locals don't speak net yet. And despite this we get a lot of comments. We couldn't do without Akismet. So the question that needs to be asked is why, if these people are trying to build links, do they not understand that they are intruding and making a nuisance of themselves. Why do they not understand that Akismet changes the game plan and makes it a whole lot more complicated for people to learn how to learn to speak net.

khanter, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  11. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually a pretty high percentage of the spam are generated by robots and not by real users, so that could be a reason.

zlori, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  12. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really. Who is driving the robots? Why? Is it not link related? I have been in observer mode for the last five to six months and it seems that most people on these forums are spam and abuse tolerant. We have just installed a Classifieds plug-in on three of our blogs and it didn't take long before I had reason enough to go looking for the Akismet hook in. It's time consuming,resource greedy and a cost I could certainly do without.

My guess is that Akismet has all but killed "blog commenting" stone dead. But nowhere do I see that message filtering through to those who are asking questions. To the contrary we are all too busy promoting tools for this and that and discussing ways to slip through the net.

khanter, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  13. Mackster2

Mackster2 Guest

Best Answers:
    I haven't been warned of this, how does one check?

Mackster2, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  14. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    Well the spammers. Did not you get any comments like "I like your post about POST_TITLE" or "I agree with you saying QUOTED_TEXT_FROM_YOUR_POST"?
    I mean where a part of your post appear in the comment... those are generated automatically, a common programmer could already do it.

Btw. I work as developer :)

Also our general experience was that a captcha image blocks the 90% of the spams! Does not that mean that 90% are not coming from real users but bots?

zlori, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  15. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    It's irrelevant how the spammers spam. Akismet dumps whatever does get through and it makes blog commenting redundant as a link building tool.

khanter, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You are all aware that this forum now reports spam to Akismet?
    It receives IP information as well as the post and probably your email address.

So to be blocked means that someone who shares your IP has misbehaved. Its not necessarily you - however I would expect Akismet to have thought of that over the years and found an algorthm that isn't IP dependent.

Only a users first posts get checked against it though - but our moderation queue gets filled every day. Very few false positives FWIW.

sarahk, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  17. geester1

geester1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After using comment kahuna we did, but now we use proxies and do not get stopped!

geester1, Sep 4, 2011 IP