1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Resubmitting to dmoz

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by sweetnal, Oct 14, 2010.

1. DangerousDavis

DangerousDavis Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been waiting for over a year myself. Funny thing is that I have submitted sites for my clients after my site and some of them are already accepted. It depends on the category i guess :>.......

DangerousDavis, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's right, but not quite. It depends on an editor volunteering to want to edit in that section of the directory and choosing to use the suggestions pool to do so. Even then the editor may just pick and choose the sites that have been submitted that best conform to guidelines for their title and description. The editor may just decide to leave the ones who have obviously not tried for another editor at another time to deal with.

So no one can predict when any particular site will be reviewed for a possible listing and as we oft say, it can take from a few days to a few years for that to happen.

It can be speeded up by people like yourself joining we hobbysists working in our spare time and then choosing to use the suggestions pool.

Anonymously, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  3. chicohuman

chicohuman Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a few competitors out there, and they can forget about their DMOZ listing. I submitted their site at least 10 times to dmoz.

Just kidding, but that could be true... DMOZ just sucks I guess, it's not needed.

chicohuman, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You may be kidding but you also probably know that we have the tools to monitor situations such as this. :)

snooks, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But I need it. It is my hobby, I spend some of my spare time having fun categorising sites and doing that for those who want to search using collated data. I have no interest in any value a listing might give to the site and no interest in if it is needed by site owners. DMOZ was never created for siteowners.

Anonymously, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Aside from editors, and Webmasters, what good is the ODP? You claim it's a hobby and it makes you happy to do what you do, and that it does not matter what a webmaster says... but what about the end user? Do you care about them? If so, then why allow your collection to become so corrupt (and I'm not talking about editors, I'm talking about out dated, dead, and otherwise worthless links within the project). If you truly enjoyed it, your pride should show through in what you do... sadly, it does not.

MANY of the claims against the ODP are unfounded, but not all of them, yet even those go unheard and those that say such things are treated poorly by the editors of the ODP.

Its not just about YOU ya know...

Qryztufre, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  7. vsundramurthy

vsundramurthy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have seen many useless and inactive site are still listed, its weird that they don't consider neat sites.

vsundramurthy, Feb 9, 2011 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen many ill informed and unthinking posters here, it's weird that they don't first read the sticky 101 at the top of this forum.

We have around 5 million listings and around 5000 editors to maintain them - most of whom don't log on very often. We also have patrolling robots looking for many types of problem but they can't easily spot sites that have been repurposed.

There's no substitute for human eyes so, if you spot a problem listing in a category, please click on the update listing link at the top of the page and report it. Such requests are highlighted editorside and most are dealt with within days rather than years.

jimnoble, Feb 10, 2011 IP