1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Convert Posts From Google Reader To Wordpress?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by bad_bob00, Feb 4, 2011.

Hi,

My wordpress blog has lost posts from the past 2 or 3 years, with about 500 or so posts missing.
    I've just discovered that they are displaying in Google Reader. I was wondering if anyone knows if theres any way of posting the posts back into Wordpress, basically converting them from Google Reader to Wordpress?

Thanks for any help

bad_bob00, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure but I think you can export the posts from Google Reader. The format may be tricky, probably use CSV, then import into WordPress. I am just speculating about this, there may be other export options as well.

Dodger, Feb 4, 2011 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  3. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Would appreciate it if anyone else is able to follow this post up with advice on how to transfer the posts from Google reader to Wordpress.

bad_bob00, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. About the only way I found to retrieve that information is to select each post then mark it to be Shared. Once all of your posts are Shared, then you can click on the Shared Icon and they will appear there with a Feed Link. You can at least archive the posts in an XML format (ATOM). Then we have to figure out how to go from there.

Dodger, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  5. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Another way is to create a Bundle from your feed. Those Bundles have their own feeds.

Not sure how many posts will be included in the Bundle though, or if only excerpts will show.

Dodger, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  6. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Just out of curiosity, do you have an old backup of the database? Maybe checking with your hosting provider, it is possible they have it archived somewhere.

Dodger, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  7. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately I don't have an old backup of the database, I've tried contacting the webhosts but they can't seem to find any. They've tried restoring it to previously versions too but this hasn't worked either...

Thanks for your help so far

bad_bob00, Feb 6, 2011 IP
  8. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Your first course is to archive that somehow. The Sharing option I explained above looks like an easy way of doing that, albeit tedious. Just getting it archived is important I would imagine. Can figure out how to extract and import later (the format is in XML by the way)

Dodger, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  9. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi again,

I've selected about 200 posts so far for sharing... any idea what the next step is? I couldn't find an option for exporting them in any sort of format. Also should they be selected as private or public?

Thanks again for the help

bad_bob00, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  10. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    The critical step would be to save the feed to your computer for safe keeping. Click on the "show details" link in the upper right part of your shared items screen. There will be a link for your the xml feed for those shared items right there. Does not matter if it is private or public, just as long as the link is there and you can view it. Another tab or screen will open up with the raw xml file inside of it, save that file.

I would try importing that as raw xml. If that does not work, you can probably use something like Yahoo!Pipes to "rewrite" the feed into one that WordPress will accept.

Dodger, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  11. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Dodger.. got another issue now though.

I've selected about 200 posts but when I go to select more it says at the top "Oops... an error occurred. Try again in a few hours". I left it about 12 hours, until the next day, and just tried again but its doing the same thing. I'm wondering if theres a limit to the number of posts you can export?

Do you think I can export the current ones and then come back, unshare the others and select more then export again?

bad_bob00, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  12. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    There is only one way to find out. :)

Dodger, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  13. adbox

adbox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    adbox, Jun 28, 2011 IP