1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Geo targeting question

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Jul, Feb 1, 2011.

I have a campaign running in a few counties.
    In some countries the CTR is better, in some worse, it's understandable, all good.
    But in some counties the campaign isn't running at all.
    I mean, technically, the campaign is running, but it gets very little clicks and impressions.

Is the CPC more in some countries? Any ideas?

Jul, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obviously, less searches on your keywords in those countries. I doubt there will be many searches on "snow shovels" in Mexico as there will be on the US east coast. I suspect the CPC will be higher there too.

Keep in mind different terms used for the same thing in different countries. Different spellings too sometimes. Having different ads taking those into consideration can improve your CTR. And of course, absolute CTR is affected by position. You may have to bid higher in some countries for the same position.

Lucid Web Marketing, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  3. Jul

Jul Peon

Best Answers:
    @ Lucid Web Marketing - thank you so much for your input! I didn't mention it because I thought it was obvious - I'm not selling "snow shovels" in Mexico :) The services I sell are broad and relevant in all countries of my targeted zone. Let's say for example - SEO services (which is not what I sell) - are the same relevant in India, UK, US and Australia, all these countries are English speaking, and the terminology is nearly the same. But, for example - in India and US the ads are running properly with decent CTR, and in Australia and UK - almost zero. You may say - optimize the copy, terminology etc, but hey! it's not only the CTR that is low, but the ads are hardly showing at all!

Jul, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  4. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    With the weather these days, the first one selling snow shovels in Mexico might make a killing :)

Well Australia is a smaller country, population-wise. So what is the number of impressions compared to US? Remember the population is 50x smaller so expect impressions to be that much less. Same for UK about 1/5 the size.

Or people in those countries just don't need or want what you are selling. Snow shovel thing again (it's summer in Australia).

Also, maybe they just don't use Google as much. These thing change but I remember a stat from a few years back that UK people use Yahoo more than Google. China has their own search engine. Maybe India does too. Many of them here so they could confirm this. I do know there is 100 million people in India who speak English.

Sometimes these differences just are. You have to live with it or find out why and adjust. If Australians use Bing more, then advertise there.

Lucid Web Marketing, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  5. Jul

Jul Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point about different search engines!
    Unfortunately, I'm running my ads mostly in GDN.
    Is this possible that CPC in UK website is higher than in China? Same niche and language?

Jul, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  6. muhabbatain

muhabbatain Active Member

Best Answers:
    @ Lucid Web Marketing : Thanks mate..you explain it very technically and logically.

muhabbatain, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  7. Lucid Web Marketing

Best Answers:
    > Is this possible that CPC in UK website is higher than in China? Same niche and language?

Why wouldn't it be possible? Why do you expect things to be the same?

Lucid Web Marketing, Feb 2, 2011 IP
    Jul likes this.
  8. rk89

rk89 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it could be possible that your CPC is low for that country, or possible that the keywords is low search volume for that particular country.

rk89, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  9. Jul

Jul Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Lucid and rk89.
    You're very helpful.

Jul, Feb 2, 2011 IP
  10. rk89

rk89 Peon

Best Answers:
    may be because of your CPC. Actually each country has it's own competition for particular keywords.

rk89, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  11. sevnrock

sevnrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing to consider is the timezone. Is your campaign meeting it's daily budget early in the day? It could be that by the time a country with a later time zone is seeing less of your ads than a country earlier in the time zone. I had the same problem with one of my campaigns. All I did was separate the campaign into two - one US and the other Europe.

sevnrock, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  12. Sasaw

Sasaw Peon

Best Answers:
    Geotargeting working correctly?

Sasaw, Feb 19, 2011 IP