1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Share some Directories Which are Low Budget But Have Worked for You

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Jin, Jan 30, 2011.

Since the PR has updated, some of the directories must have gained PR on home page and i was hoping if you guys share the list of directories which have worked for you.

I will start by listing one of the most qualitative directory, which actually pushes you up in SERPS and its not as expensive either.

Romow.com

Please share some.

Jin, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  2. bendust

bendust Active Member

Best Answers:
    bendust, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  3. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I spend so much time helping other people with their directories that I don't always have time to maintain my own, but a couple that have earned me money over the years are Atlanta Dance Directory (especially adsense) and Atlanta Directory (adsense and submissions). These are examples of very low budget directories. I installed phpLD, added listings over time, and saw a continuous trickle of income. It is easier to look at the money in terms of years, not months.

dvduval, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  4. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    What is considered to be a low budget link? I am responsible for running a directory owners cooperative and skills workshop. But after five months still have more questions than answers. I notice that the directories listed above qualify their listings, charging for featured links and for limited time slots. Is this not dangerous? We accept deep links but I was advised that it is not a good idea to charge a premium for them.

khanter, Jan 30, 2011 IP
  5. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    rehash, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  6. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    khanter, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  7. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a list of directories that we've compiled that we consider to have a good value. You can sort the list by price or use the search on the site to get a list by price, value rating, pr, alexa, etc.

freelistfool, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  8. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    unknownpray, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  9. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure why PR is such a priority for you. Instead please focus on directories that sends traffic.

maldives, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  10. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    None. 99% of directories are utterly useless (noone knows about them, noone visits them, they are nowhere to be seen in serps, they have no authority whatsoever), especially the ones promoted on DP forums. The only good ones are the well known ones (dmoz, yahoo dir, botw, joeant, business and some highly respected local directories).

hhsaus, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  11. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a good Question, low budget could vary from person to person, but i was aiming at a range 10 to 25 dollars maximum. I was hopping if people could share soem quality directories they have had submitted into and seen some boost in ranks.

Referring to second part of your question, honestly speaking, i don't vouch for directories which allow 3 deep links if you submit one, none of the main stream directories involve in such practices and yea, however, not too sure about featured link directories, its okay if the link goes through some sort of scrutiny before its accepted.

Jin, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  12. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Guys refrain from killing the thread, only post those Directories where you have submitted in Past and observed some good after affect in serps!

Jin, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  13. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is merely a metric to evaluate the importance of page and iam not sure why you don't consider it and i really wonder which are these directories you talk about which send traffic?

Well, i will break it down for you! i have about 5 listings in DMOZ and 2 listings in Yahoo directory, they are most trafficked directories yet i don't see a single click coming from them, however, ever since i got listed in them i saw a boost in my seprs in Google and traffic started flowing, now does that make some sense to you? People go to google and other search engines to find sites, they don't go into directories and crawl deep into sub categories to find your site and then click on them, come on you been on these forums since 2005!

Jin, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  14. Jin

Jin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is why i started this thread, i my self do not trust in directories advertised in DP, but yea, there are about 5% of directories beside what you mentioned which have some authority to them, and i have had submitted into them and seen a boost in serps.

Jin, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  15. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been experimenting with our directories, including the one I recommended, trying to measure this boost one gets. And besides the fact that the links do change a sites ranking, it is virtually impossible to predict by how much. It varies according to how competitive the key words are and I suspect how close you already are to the coveted first page. How do you measure the relative value of the boost you get from different directories?

What has amazed me is the results one gets using the free directory lists. The vast majority of those sites have a transitory value at best. But they do work and they work very well. We have sites that have attained and held locally competitive page #1 rankings using these sort of back links only.

My understanding is that problem with the free directories, besides the fact you don't often get deep links, is that you have to keep replacing them and this is the first thing we look for in a directory. How long has it been around and more importantly how long is it likely to be around? We also check to see that the pages are all indexed. And this again is not as straight forward as it might be. Google appears to retire pages that have not been updated for awhile. They are indexed but don't display if you search for the url. They do however still work. It just takes Google longer to find them. So this is the second thing we look for. How often is the content being refreshed? We also look at the quality of the editing. Are the sites in the right categories? And finally is the question of price and whether the site is selling a link review or just selling links. It doesn't appear to matter that much. Most directories are openly charging for position but technically it is not correct.

We are building our skills development workshop and the sites we run around the need for and demand for deep links. We believe it is simply a question of ensuring that the site offering the links is genuinely useful, well run and spam free. What else should one be looking for?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    khanter, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  16. cm2010

cm2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cm2010, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  17. sippsin

sippsin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try DiveWebb PR3 Web Directory - DiveWebb got appraised in recent PR updation. from PR1 to PR3. Quality directory with Quality links. 100$ refund on paid listings, if link not accepted.

sippsin, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  18. iccadubai

iccadubai Peon

Best Answers:
    iccadubai, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  19. sippsin

sippsin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry there is a typo. I didn't mean $100 refund. Its "100% refund".

sippsin, Feb 3, 2011 IP
  20. Jenncria WebMaster

Jenncria WebMaster Member

Best Answers:
    Jin, I suggest you JennCria. From PR2 to PR4 in 20 juanary PR updation is a quality bidding directory. Unlike the others latest 3 entries are listed on the home page also if they are NOT in the top ten! This mean that you will be listed (and indexed) on the home page even with the minimum revision fee of $3! But there is more: the directory has got 2 levels of categories: top category and subcategories (till now all normal!) and your website will appear both in top category or in choosed subcategory. Over all the bullshits and my poor English language :( it deserves to be seen because it works and customers the most of customers come back more then one time!

Jenncria WebMaster, Feb 5, 2011 IP