1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Coldfusion to php

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Gamer316, Dec 13, 2010.

I have a client who is requesting something I've never done before. He wants coldfusion to be switched to php. Can someone do this for me and how much would you charge.

Gamer316, Dec 13, 2010 IP
  2. Shibin Sreenivasan

Shibin Sreenivasan Active Member

Best Answers:
    we can help you with this. Please send more detais.

Shibin Sreenivasan, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  3. wasistdas

wasistdas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a strange wish as colfusion much more stable, reliable and secure than php

wasistdas, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  4. d6G0k7q2y6

d6G0k7q2y6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed - very odd request.

Could maybe understand maybe Ruby or something like that, but PhP? What's the db backend, MySQL? If the backend is SQL Server/T-SQL probably better to stick with ColdFusion. There is a bit of a hiccup with ColdFusion (9) and SQL Azure, but workarounds exist. (I'm working Adobe/MS on SQL Azure compatibility issues.)

Also, there's versions to think about. ColdFusion 9 is highly expanded over its prior versions, especially the near-ubiquitous CFMX6.1 and similar CFML-processing app servers.

If already at a later version of ColdFusion (say 8 or later), migrating to PhP would be a backwards move. If on CFMX6.1/7, then maybe there's a case since CF8/9 is very CFC centric and prior versions not.

d6G0k7q2y6, Dec 31, 2010 IP
  5. Gamer316

Gamer316 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was told they want it converted because of a hosting concern. They are moving to a host that doesnt work with coldfusion and therefore they need everything placed in php.

Gamer316, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  6. d6G0k7q2y6

d6G0k7q2y6 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, then that was a case of a less-than-ideal decision forcing another less-than-ideal decision.

If it's a CFMX app, how many templates are we talking about?
    If it's a CF8/9, then that would take a different approach.

d6G0k7q2y6, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  7. fardesi

fardesi Peon

Best Answers:
    I can help... is this a stander header/footer site.. or built on top of framework.
    If only concern is the Hosting... then it is better to find a new host that offer cfml. GoDaddy has some very cheap plans.

fardesi, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  8. Andre91

Andre91 Peon

Best Answers:
    Seeing that the person is requesting help, I assume he/she isn't a programmer himself/herself. PHP hosting is more easily available, best choice for those who would like to be able to learn how to make simple tweaks to their own site since it has lots of support, and finding PHP programmers is both cheap and in abundance.

OP, you're probably wondering where to start cuz you're think of actually converting the script itself from CF to PHP. Providing you have no CF experience, what I'd do is look at how the site functions, and just create a clone using PHP.

Andre91, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  9. geekedatbirth

geekedatbirth Peon

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy is getting rid of Coldfusion for it's shared hosting environments (I am a customer and received an e-mail from the recently regarding their decision, and there are readily available details concerning this in the news and on their website). If anyone is looking for good shared CF hosting, hostek.com is a great company. I've personally moved from their hosting to my own dedicated server with a CF install, but if you're looking for a shared environment with CF then I'd definitely give them a look.

geekedatbirth, Oct 1, 2011 IP