1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does downtime affect search results

Discussion in 'Google' started by act4, Jan 16, 2011.

Yesterday one of my hosting company's servers crashed and subsequently my website has been offline for over 24 hours. At the moment my site is displaying a default web page as they have not configured the server yet.

Will this prolonged downtime cause my website to simply drop out of google, and if so when it comes back online how easy will it be to achieve the previous ranking?

Thanks

act4, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  2. EvanP

EvanP Banned

Best Answers:
    Google updates itself every so often. I wouldn't worry about your site unless it's down for more than about 72 hours. You should be just fine. :)

EvanP, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  3. act4

act4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well that is good to know... I still have about 45 hours.

Typical that as soon as I reach my highest ever position my hosting fails. :(

act4, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  4. EvanP

EvanP Banned

Best Answers:
    Even if 72 hours pass, it still might not affect you massively. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, if you're really that worried, move to a temporary server until your current hosting is sorted out, and your site will be fine with no effects at all. I imagine you'll pull through just fine though.

EvanP, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  5. Reliable-SeoServices

Reliable-SeoServices Peon

Best Answers:
    It may affect if we see the experice of many people whose ranking has been down after such incidents..

I found this from Google webmaster blog
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/advanced-website-diagnostics-with.html

Reliable-SeoServices, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  6. John Alves

John Alves Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It depends whether or not google cached the down version. If you get the site back up quickly, it should not be an issue. If it was cached with the down version, it's hard to say how it will effect it. You shouldn't have much of a problem. It may drop a little, but I think it will come back to the previous ranking.

John Alves, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  7. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hopefully you'll be able to get your site back up before Google crawls it the next time. I also don't think it will hurt your rankings much.

danasurvey, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  8. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not crucial, but if it keeps happening I would swap providers. Been down for 24 hours is totally unacceptable, they clearly haven't got sufficient back up servers to cope with the volume

lightlysalted, Jan 16, 2011 IP