1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone still on Blogger?

Discussion in 'Google' started by MeBloggs, Jan 14, 2011.

I remember Blogger being a big deal, particularly for me, early on. It was where I had my first blog, and continue to have my personal blog. However, I tend to use WordPress more for client work (I'm in SEO).

Do you find that Blogger gives you enough customization and control to do what you need to do? Or does it get in the way?

Personally, I love how easy it is. They've made a lot of advancements too that give us more control. The one thing that continues to bother me, though, is that I can't edit my robots.txt file. They automatically disallow /search/ which is also where labels are hosted. Example: /search/blogging. So, this means my labels would never rank, and don't pass any PageRank.

Still, for my personal blog, it gets the job done. I don't aggressively do SEO for it, but have noticed that I've managed to rank one Page 1 for some of my posts for their related keywords.

What do you see as the benefits and disadvantages of using Blogger for your website?

MeBloggs, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  2. mohamedsafiq

mohamedsafiq Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi most of persons had their first blog on blogger because their is no programming knowledge needed for setup blogger but peoples like us moved to wordpress which has lots of options,plugins suitable for seo any how google first crawl pages from blogger.

mohamedsafiq, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  3. bisma anwar

bisma anwar Peon

Best Answers:
    agree with you that wordpress has plugins suitable for seo.But it doesnt mean that google crawl wordpress first.Google gives sam attention to wordpress and blogger

bisma anwar, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  4. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    ya blog can easily to manage or maintain it .

fokerss, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  5. MeBloggs

MeBloggs Peon

Best Answers:
    It is interesting that it seems like my personal blog takes minutes for a post to get indexed. My company's website is up on WordPress, and it takes several hours to index the latest blog post. I know officially there is no favoritism, but in the algorithm could their be something going on since Blogger blogs have the blogger.com profiles linking to them and the Blogger directory? Or maybe something else giving it an unfair advantage?

MeBloggs, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  6. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I left them almost 2 years ago.

Chancey, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  7. keym4k3r

keym4k3r Peon

Best Answers:
    The main disadvantage of blogger is that it is not yours.
    It can be taken from you within minutes, and all your work is wasted forever.

Funny, that you've mentioned robots.txt, some time ago they've screwed with that file, as a result Google stopped to index new posts. It took blogger two months to fix the issue.
    In case of my own domain, when the server crashed, and I had a fresh backup, within hours I set up the site on another server, so it worked almost without any break.

About indexing and ranking, Google treats blogger as an average site. It indexes blogger as fast as an average site.
    If your company's website is indexed slower, well, it is weaker than an average site.

And if you want to dig deeper, blogger is anonymous with most of accounts set up by spammers,
    while the domain owner has to pay some $100 a year for domain and server issues, and is identified by whois or credit card or bank account.

I like blogger as well, but there is really no comparison between blogger and your own domain.

keym4k3r, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  8. CaLLMeDaDDy

CaLLMeDaDDy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have two blogs and those two blogs run on blogger. I have started these blogs a week ago, i'm posting regular unique content. I'll inform you in a month or two about the progress.

CaLLMeDaDDy, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  9. prettybomb2008

prettybomb2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have different blogs and I am using both wordpress and blogger by using blogger I have learned many things but the disadvantage never to trust blogger too much they will take your blogs for sec ... But blogger help me learned a lot of stuff and it helps my new site as well

prettybomb2008, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  10. borber

borber Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Blogger for SEO as WEB2.0, it works. Not for traffic or earning.

borber, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  11. mohamedsafiq

mohamedsafiq Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi man you can host your own .com or other domain using blogger for free if you use your own domain they won't taken back without a prior notice.

Yeah i agree with this.

mohamedsafiq, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  12. Reliable-SeoServices

Reliable-SeoServices Peon

Best Answers:
    I too started my first blog on blogger even today I use it. But for serious blog, I always prefer wordpress as it is more flexible & seo friendly.
    Blogger is too risky as we don't know when Google will ban it & you will lose all your data.

Reliable-SeoServices, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  13. shams714

shams714 Member

Best Answers:
    I use blogger for link building only. But it can be used for traffic and seo purpose-both. I have seen some blogger's site on the first page for some certain key words.
    And as Blogger is from Google - may be that's the reason why they index so early. I have tried few other blog sites. I had to ping my blogs there to be indexed. But for the sites in blogger-I just wait for a few days and it automatically gets indexed.

shams714, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  14. takeonepicture

takeonepicture Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I am still on blogger. There are features that I love in it.

takeonepicture, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  15. Nefertiti

Nefertiti Peon

Best Answers:
    Still a huge lot is on Blogger. Just try to see Alexa rankings for as many countries you want to, you'll find Blogspot averaging in position number 6 to 13 in every country.

Nefertiti, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  16. app007

app007 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm too still in blogger but long time ago to get in there

app007, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  17. chieh0215

chieh0215 Peon

Best Answers:
    i am doning blogger maintaness for my website SEO, i think it more useful than forum SEO.

chieh0215, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  18. Rk's

Rk's Peon

Best Answers:
    well, WordPress platform is much better than the blogspot

Rk's, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  19. princet

princet Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm just getting my feet wet with blogger, I have had wordpress blogs on my own domains for several years.
    I think a few blogger blogs can help my SE scheme. - Just have to wait and see...

princet, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  20. keym4k3r

keym4k3r Peon

Best Answers:
    Blogger has many of programming errors and coding issues that are bizarre for me.
    Google bots have learned to ignore these errors when they see blogspot.com endings.
    But when you have your own domain on blogger these issues have negative impact on overall SEO.

keym4k3r, Jan 15, 2011 IP