1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IS DMOZ still relevant?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by inblues, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why not put an edvert in yourself and the with all the documentary evidence, including the site and its listing, come back and offer that?

At present you live on, there's no smoke without fire. So if we get all the editors on DMOZ to post your name on their web sites, social networking sites, etc as being corrupt, can we then come back here and prove that you are corrupt because lots of people say so. You get how conspiracy theories work, especially amongst the bitter, just note our old 'friend' Ivan's post above.

Also when you have been on here for a few years you will begin to see what lengths site owners will go to to try and get a listing, people whose clients are willing to pay anything. Now I think they are daft, but that soon generates the sort of adverts that say contact me if you are an editor. And if you don't know how stings work, let me tell you that people will go to any lengths to set up the adverts, response from an 'editor' and a listing of being a satisfied customer. Then you can show people that if they part with their hard earned cash, the listing will happen, though there is not a cat in hells chance of it so doing, but how do you then get your money back? There are a good many fraudsters willing to spend a good deal of time and money to set up such stuff, people like you believe it and perpetuate the myth on places like this so others get sucked in and pay.

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  2. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry you don't feel able to respond, easy answer is always throw mud if you have nothing to say. I once had a friend who always said if you listen to what a person says about others you can hear what they think about themselves. You have just proved that right again.

I guess you must be one of those people who set up stings like the one I talked about above and then come on here just to give it more credence.

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Then what is it called when the owner breaks his/her own rules?

Why? How would it be proof if he did it, but not proof when someone else does it?

Qryztufre, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  4. Parth84

Parth84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course DMoz is relevant in today's website scenario.

Parth84, Jan 4, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  5. vernastorm

vernastorm Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there anyone reading this thread who documented their website's PR and SERP keyword position before and after getting a DMOZ listing? And, if so, what was the difference? Thanks

vernastorm, Jan 4, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  6. inblues

inblues Peon

Best Answers:
    We wish to discuss in more solid way. May be you can include the reason and fact. Thanks

inblues, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  7. Rhodesian Ridgeback

Rhodesian Ridgeback Peon

Best Answers:
    As a new-intermediate affiliate marketer just wanted to know what the consensus was-do I bother submitting any new sites to DMOZ or not?

Rhodesian Ridgeback, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  8. hilhilginger

hilhilginger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I bet Bing is taking content from DMOZ. They are very good at their manual approval for each application they receive for url submit.Recently i got my two sites approved by DMOZ

hilhilginger, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  9. Contort

Contort Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz would be much more relevent if they actually accepted listings. Its just a corrupt organization now.

Contort, Jan 6, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  10. hilhilginger

hilhilginger Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have any evidance to support to your statement "corrupt org.

hilhilginger, Jan 6, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  11. inblues

inblues Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright. Thanks for sharing your knowledges and experiences. I think we can conclude that DMOZ still relevant but it may take sometimes to get our site listed/not listed there depend on the moderator. Do submit our site to DMOZ but spend less time to concentrate on that. Good luck!

inblues, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  12. Rhodesian Ridgeback

Rhodesian Ridgeback Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks-have had no luck so far but in truth haven't submitted many times

Rhodesian Ridgeback, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If that is the same site you are talking about suggesting more than once.....please do not do so, it will not improve your chances one iota and may mean you get banned as a spammer. The guidelines you said you had read when you suggested the site told you not to suggest the same site more than once. It can take from a few days to a few years for a suggestion to be reviewed for a possible listing, having suggested once there is no more you can do at DMOZ to get a listing.

Anonymously, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  14. FRReed

FRReed Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel it's worth the time it takes to submit a site but if it doesn't get accepted don't lose any sleep over it, it's only 1 of many things that will effect your site

FRReed, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  15. MainVoice

MainVoice Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We have tried a while ago to get listed on DMOZ, then again our website was not as big then as it is now. However I am not sure if you can re-submit your website after an X amount of time of not being listed. We ended up simply looking for other alternatives for our website and who knows maybe in the future we will appear in DMOZ, but for now we don't feel like making a big fuss about it :D

MainVoice, Jan 11, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  16. Muhammeed

Muhammeed Peon

Best Answers:
    after checking the forums here .. really I don't know .. am I lucky ?!! or lucky ?!! or am I f***** lucky , I submitted my blog there in DMOZ 2 months ago and u know what?!! I've been listed there after 1 week .. still don't know the DMOZ concept in listing websites, and you know what?!! It's pretty awesome when u use a custom domain on this blog account, you'll be considered as a DMOZ listed website

Muhammeed, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  17. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think someone asked for the shoemoney DMOZ corruption post: http://www.shoemoney.com/2007/08/26/dmoz-extortion/
    Definitely doesn't paint a good picture of the DMOZ.

I've submitted 2 sites to the DMOZ, one was accepted, other wasn't. Not sure what exactly they look for, but the one that was accepted was a personal site that was completely unmonetized.

runnerunner, Jan 11, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  18. Muhammeed

Muhammeed Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess you're right I think it's one of DMOZ's criteria, as a voluntary work I think they follow the concept of voluntary that they don't like the websites which contain a lot of ads, hehe they want the webmasters and the sites owner also to follow this f*** concept to create websites for voluntary work lol

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Muhammeed, Jan 12, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    We don't like a lot of ads if the site simply becomes advertising, we want so unique content, not something that reads like a bad advertising board, and incidentally surfers are not interested in sites like that either. But we do list sites which contain some advertising provided it has loads of unique content too.

Remember too that we have no interest in any value that a site might gain from a listing, we are only interested in collecting and offering categorised collated data for those who wish to search using such information, so why would we want to collect crap sites full of advertising that nobody wants to look at?

#runnerunner
    Couple of comments
    1. How do you know that one site was not accepted? You mean it has not been listed yet, don't you, now that is a very different statement. Not listed yet can mean that it has not been reviewed, even if you submitted two site to the same category an editor may have looked at one and not the other, but if offered to different categories then they may well be looked at by different editors and both have to wait until someone volunteers to edit that section and use the suggestions pool. Can I ask if you have volunteered to spend your spare time editing any section? All editors are volunteers and receive no money reward and if you have not volunteered on what grounds do you criticise those who do volunteer, but don't volunteer to do the section you want done in a timetable you want?

2. The criteria for being listable is plain to read http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html and if you find any site which does not now or never has conformed, please report it on the update button.

As for Shoemoney, did you see the amount of people he attracted to his site with that garbage? Not a whit of proof and gullible people swallowed it hook,line and sinker.

Anonymously, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  20. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't criticize, and I don't have a timetable. I just stated that one of my two submissions was accepted, just a fact. I suppose the other could still be in queue for a couple years so I guess it's not "rejected". As for the shoemoney post he did post a cache of his site in the dmoz: http://web.archive.org/web/20070306...bmaster_Resources/Affiliate_Programs/Weblogs/

I would tend to believe him, seems like a plausible story. Of course I don't know it's true for a fact, just providing the link for other people to make what they will of it.

runnerunner, Jan 12, 2011 IP