1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it take to get approval for listing in DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by atulchaudhary, Nov 29, 2010.

1. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If your site meets ODP listing criteria, then may be it get listed someday or never.

Just submit and forget.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  2. Urwaind

Urwaind Peon

Best Answers:
    I submitted 3 years ago, after waiting two & half year submitted again, still not listed.......

Urwaind, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  3. SoftDev

SoftDev Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Question: How long does it take to get approval for listing in DMOZ?
    Answer: Just 1 to 99 years, very short period.

At the end, DMOZ is just an asshole directory.

SoftDev, Dec 24, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some sites are listed in a few days. You can ofcourse pay for a review in many directories, but DMOZ are hobbyists, just building the directory for their hobby and directed at end users, we have no interest in any value a listing might or might not give to a site. Happy Christmas to you.

Anonymously, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  5. steveee

steveee Peon

Best Answers:
    Did they tell you that they haven't accepted it or is that a guess because of the time ?? :) JUst wondered because I submitted about 3 months ago.

steveee, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    they generally NEVER let you know. So whether you submitted an hour ago or 10 years ago, there is no way to tell if you got rejected or are still sitting in the queue. They do not care enough about you, your site, or the sites you found to bother letting you know. The only things they care about are themselves and the sites they list. Sorry... just move on and promote your site through other means, you have done all you can do, and there is actually a chance you've done more then you should have.

Qryztufre, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    We do not send any feedback comments. The submissions procedure is not just for web masters, we hope that members of the public who find a good site will offer it for us to see if we agree. The spirit of that is how we take suggestions from webmasters. The directory is not set up for webmasters to get listed it is set up for editors to collect sites to indulge their hobby and for anyone following who wants to search the internet using categorised media. So it aint about caring its just about the directory being different from most othesr in its purpose and function.

Anonymously, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You'd think the difference would be in CARING, as its your hobby and not just a money maker or promotion system... it's mighty odd that you don't care about your hobby more then you do.

Though, as for the purpose and function of DMOZ, sorry, that IS the same as every other directory out there... that's why its called a directory. Unless you are talking about the number of dead links, spam, and editor owned sites within it...as those are certainly a different take on directories then most care to go.

Qryztufre, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  9. weird

weird Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting listed depends on the category and editors and chances are you are going for a category with high competition. If that assumption is correct then expect to wait forever.
    Even if you are fortunate enough to get list, the editor of that category is your competitor and will screw your listing up so bad it won’t make a difference anyway in fact may do more damage than good. Such as changing your anchors, title etc... And some cases entering the incorrect url to top it off.
    Best thing to do is submit your site and go on about your business and forget about dmoz.
    Build enough link juice in friendlier places and never sit and dwell on one source.

weird, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So, if I as an editall, who can list anywhere, list a site I must be competition. Is that what you are really saying?

Cos if it is how do you explain that I don't have a website? So how can I be anybodies competition. Oh and I have listed over 30,000 so which ones do you think you got wrong?

Anonymously, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  11. weird

weird Peon

Best Answers:
    Sadly enough, I do not have it wrong, I did not say ALL editors, sounds like You are an Honest editor and probably around since the start of DMOZ but unfortunately not all editors are like you. Some actually market their "editor" status and will list you for a fee, others are out right competitors that feel they hold claim over certain key words especially if they feel a site may out perform theirs. You can preach about how wonderful the system is till you are blue in the face, the fact is there are holes in it and not all the editors are as honest as you are and many are simply out for personal gain.

weird, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Some proof would help others to understand you. I am an editor, you say I am honest, I know many editors I work in the system and what you are saying is totally unfounded allegations. I can assert that you are not telling the truth, there is no proof you can only deny it, I can keep making the allegations. Some real evidence is what we require. And if you post those people looking for DMOZ editors to try and bribe them, that is not proof and if you find an editor advertising, pay the money and come back with all the documentation and I can assure you that the editor will be sacked, if the evidence stacks up and is not a vindictive or silly allegation. Balls in your court sunshine.

Anonymously, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  13. weird

weird Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you are the one that needs to submit proof as everyone else knows all to well. I can assert that you are full of it too. There are plenty of folks around that have had it done, remove head from rear and ask around. I had editors tell me they would list a post for $200 wow, imagine that. I did not say all editors were like that, you seem pretty defensive so must have struck a nerve.

Why would I be stupid enough to pay for the listing and return with documentation? That is rather moronic don't you think, asking your visitors to police your own house. Your day job must be in government no doubt. Took you 12 hours to research and respond to the last with no answers, just like a good little politician.

Perhaps you should offer a real answer to their questions instead of answering with questions. Dmoz is neither worth the effort nor time involved with politics to get listed as I stated in my first response to this post. People do not need it anymore same as Google listing, we have learned to adapt and work around it. Dmoz is dinosaur with no relevant purpose anymore that is why it’s PR never increases, WE HAVE LOST INTEREST get it?

weird, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You are the one asserting that wee have crooked editors, you must tell us whom you have been speaking to, otherwise it is all hot air. As I said I can say I know someone who was speaking to you some months ago and you offered money for them to break into a house. Prove that i did not, please.

Please loose interest, DMOZ exists, NOT for site owners to get sites listed, but to build categories, to indulge our hobby to offer categorised data for those who wish to use such data for searching the net. We have no interest in any value that a site might obtain from a listing. Many directories exist for owners to get their sites listed, we do not.

I am glad that you have no purpose for it, you obviously do not want to search the net using categorised data. Also DMOZ exists for its editors to indulge their hobby of collecting and categorising sites for their own enjoyment and if that is useful for others we are evn more happy, if not, we still enjoy collecting and collating sites. So for us who enjoy that it is not a dinosaur just a hobby we enjoy and seems not to be going out of fashion, by the way our Metas say they sign up new editors and have to refuse many more.

Anonymously, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  15. weird

weird Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, so your claim is that ALL 89,662 editors within DMOZ are as honest as the day is long. Think about how ridiculous your claim is. None of those 89,662 editors are dishonest or in it for personal gain. What would be the odds of that, a city with a population of 89,662 with 0% crime rate?

Hypothesizing - let’s say there are 3 main categories of “DMOZ Editors”
    1/3 of the editors are honest hobbyist such as you,
    1/3 are tiny bit in it to self promote
    1/3 has more deliberate reasons for maintaining the front as an editor.

That works out to roughly 29,833 in each of those categories of editors and by far a more realistic assumption of the credibility of the entire house.

My claim of DMOZ having “SOME” is much more believable than your claim of DMOZ having “NO” dishonest editors.

“DMOZ exists for its editors to indulge their hobby of collecting and categorizing sites for their own enjoyment” Interesting statement and if a certain site may in fact be relevant to an editor’s category but the editor just doesn’t like it, for their own enjoyment, deny listing it.

If becoming an editor was not profitable for “some” why would there be over 2 million pages within Google for search term “dmoz guaranteed listing”. How can someone offer such a guarantee to clients without an in?

The probability of having “some” dishonest editors far out weighs the claim that “All” editors are simple honest hobbyist, don’t you think? It would be nice if we lived in a perfect world but you and I both know that we do not.

weird, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Weird, you can not expect to win against Anonymously as he posts Anonymously and wont even prove he is an editor (which says a lot about his honestly, as does the fact he has been banned from here at least once).

You can also expect not to have him accept any statistics or even proof that editors sell listings, as he will not accept a completed transaction with positive feedback from sites like scriptlance as such.

What you can expect however is for him to say that the ODP is not a service, yet you'll see that the ODP add page claims it as such. You can expect him to call the suggestion pool anything but a queue, when in fact there are several instances of it being called that in the guidelines. You can also expect him to back up AOL listing a single site owned by an editor over TWENTY THOUSAND TIMES as a sing of outstanding behavior from AOL.

So when I say you can not expect to win, it's just a simply matter of there are very few editors that post here on digital point that are willing to see anything other then their own twisted views that generally don't even conform to the ODP itself.

They keep asking me for proof, and I have given it several times for various things... yet if you look at Anonymously's track record, he has not given anything buy trollish behavior. Now do you honestly thing you can prove something? Heh... to an editor blind to such matters as corruption from the very top?

The way I see it is, that no, he does not have a website, not a single one... and that's easy enough to prove with things like Whois Guard, and posting Anonymously.

Qryztufre, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I wonder which of those categories, Q, belongs in. Remember the figures you quote actually are all the editors who have ever participated in the project, just like Q, yes he is one of them. It does not represent the working editors who can actually edit.

Anonymously, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  18. weird

weird Peon

Best Answers:
    For me is not about winning nor losing but rather an opportunity to participate in an open forum debate on heated issues, presenting a case and allowing readers to observe the fumbling and draw their own conclusions. Not only is it humorous for me, to debate one as Nobel as Anonymously, but many others find enjoyment in collecting and categorizing idiots also. After all, we are simply hobbyists :)

weird, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  19. weird

weird Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, so which of these ODP published numbers should readers actually take to heart, 4,802,931 sites - 89,662 editors - over 1,003,849 categories? If the editors count is falsified then perhaps none of the statements contained therein are in fact true.

Yours and Q’s position is not in question here but rather the ethics of the system as a whole. It would seem that your statement of “I wonder which of those categories, Q, belongs in.” is actually a question. Seeing as you are the hobbyist, who collects and categorizes, with a vast base of 30,000 listings of past experience, you should know instantly which category anything should fall into, unless of course your own category is now being questioned somewhere in your mind.

In order for the system to be fair for all, the rules and methods must be equal. DMOZ claim is that it is an OPEN DIRECTORY. All websites must be listed regardless of your personal feelings towards that site. The Yellow pages phone book can not deny listing a phone number of a person nor business simply because they do no like it.

If DMOZ is NOT a directory, then remove the “submit listing” link and let the entire hobbyist group of editors add only the things that amuse them, now DMOZ becomes more in tune to what it really is, a “gathering and sharing” site no different than Digg.

Many websites are garbage and think no one disputes the fact, but rather than denying their listing they should be placed in a dump category until rising to DMOZ standards.

By taking an active role such as this the overall quality of the internet would improve immensely. With the authority contained within DMOZ the dump category would carry no weight but rather offer guidance for improving so garbage sites can work their way into a real category.

When a site is denied listing, is it denied by only 1 editor or a group of 5 or more editors?
    How can an unbiased assessment be made of anything when it only receives 1 review?
    This is 3rd world thinking, “I am king of this country, we are democracy, we had a vote, I am the only one that voted, I voted for me therefore I am KING”

Use the Power of DMOZ to improve the web as a whole not for the amusement of the editors.

weird, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  20. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is something that is discussed often and MANY editors would love this to happen. It would reduce the complaints, acusations and the immense volunteer time wasted in managing hundreds of thousands of spam submissions.

Remember, you may suggest your site according to the guidelines and to the best cat, but sadly, the next person may suggest it 5 times to 50 cats. Especially in the heavily prone spam areas, not so much reference, health, non-commercial cats.

snooks, Jan 8, 2011 IP