1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to hide wordpress source code from vistors

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by thenetspiders, Nov 21, 2010.

Hii.....
    Tell me one thing guys .is there any code or plug in to hide my view source......for websites...like i hv a websites in wordpress abc.com someone open my sites in any browser and i don't want to disclose my web technology that in which language my websites is running ,
    specially in word press case go to view source and it shows wp-content/plugin directory path ,so how can i hide..........

i need solid answers with proof........if any body have answer about it please tell me or mail me

mark.kitter@gmail.com

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    thenetspiders, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  2. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    for hiding plugin, you can put empty html file. I guess you can't hide your page source code, because your site is online.

KimiGermany, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  3. AmandaM1

AmandaM1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's impossible to really hide the source code, the closest I've seen is something to stop people from right clicking but a lot of good that does. Like Kimi said, you can put an index file in your plugin folder where nobody can find it. You could also name it something obscure.

However, nobody needs to steal your plugin. If they see something on your website that they like they can have it made the same day.

Hope this helps.

AmandaM1, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  4. thenetspiders

thenetspiders Active Member

Best Answers:
    thanks @ AmanadaM and @ Kimi ........but i dont want show that this websites made in Wordpress so is there any option for Hiding these things

thenetspiders, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  5. AmandaM1

AmandaM1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really, WordPress code is all in the same format so anyone that wants to look into it will be able to tell. I'm sure the entire code could be rewritten but it would take ages to do.

AmandaM1, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  6. kiddo

kiddo Peon

Best Answers:
    kiddo, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  7. rakesh kumar

rakesh kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    rakesh kumar, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  8. ThoughtPunk

ThoughtPunk Active Member

Best Answers:
    ThoughtPunk, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  9. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent, Thanks for the awesome piece of information.

warm regards
    Josh

joshuthomas, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  10. Internet Marketing IQ

Internet Marketing IQ Guest

Best Answers:
    Things to consider.

Are you also damaging your ranking potential in the Search Engines?
    When you update your site do you have to jump through a lot of hoops to do everything all over again?
    Will changes break Plugins?

It simply might not be worth the effort.

Internet Marketing IQ, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  11. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Ranking should not be affected since there are no identifying markers in the permalinks themselves. This should not be an issue.

Removing the generator meta element has been around for ages. It is actually part of some security hardening articles where they suggest that it be removed, not because its says the page is from WordPress, but what version it is running on.

Any plugins worth their salt should be using the constants provided by WordPress, and not hard-coded partials such as bloginfo('url') . '/wp-content/plugins' in their coding. If a plugin breaks when redefining those constants, then the plugin needs to be updated by the author.

As for updates, I cannot see any issues with redefining global constants (that is why they are there) or removing the generator meta element.

Dodger, Jan 21, 2011 IP
  12. techlunatic

techlunatic Peon

Best Answers:
    I think he was asking to hide only the wordpress version not the entire source code which is obviously not possible , even if right click is blocked , anyone can download firebug firefox plugin and see the source code. But if your intention is to hide the fact that you are using WP then it is possible . First goto cpanel and >> PHPMyadmin >> and change your database table prefix to something else (it is wp_ by default) , then you can also remove the footer attribution , Also change appearance your login screen(add CSS styling in your index.php, and your login screen will look different) and of course the above plugin which is mentioned . All of this should be able to make you hide your wordpress from whatever you are hiding it .

techlunatic, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  13. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Man, be it Wordpress or any other CMS, your output for the visitor is always HTML. So there is no way to hide the HTML output. :)

RamCity, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  14. rakesh kumar

rakesh kumar Active Member

Best Answers:
    rakesh kumar, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  15. mccomf

mccomf Active Member

Best Answers:
    mccomf, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  16. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you show me any WP site that has used this trick?

I tested and it doesn't work at all. For me, it is total crap.

RamCity, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  17. lokers

lokers Peon

Best Answers:
    you cannot hide html source, it's like preventing from downloading an image where anyone can do a screenshot.
    the same with html source, what's in my computer - it's already mine, whatever it is, image, sound... source code.
    you can protect right click but that doesn't change anything for a web developer (ie. I can use shortcut to view source).
    as for this link describing how to hide info about wp, you can do this trick but wordpress developer will still recognise the structure, for example I will open the style.css and find the theme definition there :) there are many ways for clever person on the other side...

lokers, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  18. war_machine

war_machine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why wouldn't you want to let others know that you're using wordpress? It does not hurt in any way, it's a solid platform, and if you're selling the page to clients they will know anyway, so...

I only see a LOT of hassle coming with updates, plugin compatibility etc. etc...

don't do it!

Cheers.

war_machine, Apr 14, 2012 IP