1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My latest ad site with a twist: www.mmmzr.com

Discussion in 'Websites' started by mawooshen, Oct 10, 2006.

Hey people,

Can you review my latest site: www.mmmzr.com

I'm particularly interested in:

1) First impressions.

2) How easy it is to understand the concept.

3) Site layout/ style / usability and all the rest. (it's only a very small site)

I've tried to keep the layout and style very simple to emphasize the ads instead, but as it has only just gone online and there aren't any ads yet it's going to look pretty black and bare for now.

Thanks a lot! ;)

mawooshen, Oct 10, 2006 IP
    Ballz likes this.
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    1. Very dark, not a pleasant place to be.
    2. It's pretty clear! And a pretty wicked concept.
    3. Not gone into this much but I'd brighten it all up a little.

and lastly...

How are you going to make any money?! This will just cost you payment processing fees.

EDIT: I see your * ex processing fees disclaimer now - but stil.. Where's your profit?!

And please change the Title. That's Girly MSN speak, not business/professional.

EDIT again. I now see where you get your little bit of the pie. Sounds liek a lot of payment processing work though. Still a unique concept and I'm interested to see whether it catches on.

T0PS3O, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Its actually a pretty cool concept. My only piece of advice would be to automate the advertising process. I went to buy one just for the heck of it and was put off by the fact I need to send an email with attachments

If you want it to take off, you need to automate it

yfs1, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You know what, I had a dream about your site! It was absolutely raking it in. I got a button for $2 or $4, can't remember... And within minutes it doubled, doubled, doubled, kept on doubling and then the top one had bought it for over $800. This must be a sign.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  5. yfs1

Best Answers:
    That may be improvement since didn't you used to dream about Oliver?

mawooshen - Have you looked into improving the payment process yet? (Making it easier)

yfs1, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  6. danielong

danielong Peon

Best Answers:
    hehe.. i will PM you my domain name and maybe you can foresee the future for me as well.. :cool:

danielong, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  7. mawooshen

mawooshen Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for your helpful comments!

I always seem to end up with very dark websites that noone can read, in view of your comments, I'm now working on a white background version with a bit more color, so we'll see how that turns out.

yfs1, I was interested by what you had to say about automation, what exactly do you mean by automation? Do you mean a form rather than an email address?

If so, I'm working on a php form as it is, but as I'm no php expert it's going to take a couple of days. At the end of the day though, I'm still going to be there checking the adbuttons and websites submitted, this process could never be automatic...

TOPS30, yeah I removed the title decorations, I was messing around when I started making the website and just completely forgot about them!

I'm glad both of you liked the idea, it's very much a hit or miss job as far as I'm concerned, either it catches some peoples eye, makes some publicity and takes off big, or... doesnt! ;)

For this reason I'll probably do a money back guarantee so that the customer will have absolutely nothing to lose. As opposed to very little to lose as it is anyway! I'll have to pay for some advertising/publicity as well, so to all the potential customers out there, you want to get on board before that happens to make the most of the site!! hint, hint! :D

Thanks again for the comments guys. More opinions are always welcome!

mawooshen, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    About the automation, you can easily let the advertiser pay without you having to do anything. You can easily let them upload a banner without you having to do anything. That also saves us advertisers having to email you first. if we just get a little sign-up so we can upload a button and pay, then your payment processing system can tell the database that button is OK to go live, pending your review. Similar to online buying, it would save a lot of hassle.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  9. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Exactly, I didn't mean the link automatically goes up...A 24 hour review period would be completely acceptable.

I just don't want to be emailing someone, etc after paying.

yfs1, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  10. mawooshen

mawooshen Peon

Best Answers:
    Hehe I didn't notice your dream posts there!
    Well its bound to be a success then!
    You've got a good track record in fortune telling I hope...

Thanks for the tips on the payment process, the only problem is that I want to review the buttons/site before anybody has made any payment so that I/advertiser doesn't have to waste money in paypal charges if their site/button is refused.

With the form I'm working on now, the basic payment flow would be as follows:

Fill in basic details on form, ie name, email address, URL and ad button file.
    The form is automatically sent to me.
    I check the details and if its ok, I send the paypal email.
    As soon as I can confirm the payment via paypal the ad is uploaded to the site.

I guess it requires 2 steps instead of one on the advertisers behalf (filling in form and paying by paypal) but it saves them the chance of having to pay unecessary paypal costs.

What do you guys think? Any better ideas?

11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can pre-authorize a transaction for free. If the banner isn't suitable you void it. If it is, you can post-authorize it and only then you get the money.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  12. mawooshen

mawooshen Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent, thanks, I'll look into that then. I'm kind of struggling with the php validation for the form though... :(

13. latiff

latiff Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the limit to the doubling?

Till how much can the ad price double?

This looks like a great twist on the firesale concept.

latiff, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  14. mawooshen

mawooshen Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, I've been working on a new design and a payment form and have finally got something to show you:

mmmzr.com

It's not finished but before I get too worked up about the details I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought!

I tried to take everyone's comments on board and made it much more colorful and web 2.0 style and now there's a basic form that leads straight to paypal rather than messing about with emails... let me know what you think!

@latiff: the only limit to the price is going to be the advertiser's pockets! This means that as long as I can get some momentum at first, as soon as the prices start becoming interestingly large it opens up a new publicity front and facet to the site and adds extra advertising value! :D

mawooshen, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  15. yfs1

Best Answers:
    Way better!

On your order form though, you might want to specify the image size again. By the time I got to that form I forgot what the size needed to be

Also, Why not let people either upload a custom one like it is now or pick from a long list (for those not wanting to create one)

Cheers

yfs1, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  16. mawooshen

mawooshen Peon

Best Answers:
    Glad you like it yfs1!

If you feel like getting the ball rolling it would be great to have you as my first customer! ;)

I still have a lot of polishing to do to make it easier to use like reminding the users of the image size. Once I'm caught up in the site it's actually really easy to miss things like that so if anyone else has any comments on how to improve the site, however small, please let me know.

As for letting people pick from a list of icons, I'm actually offering to make a custom button for no extra charge, but the offer's hidden away somewhere in the terms and conditions so I guess I should make the offer more explicit. The only problem with having a list of buttons for people to chose from is that it would lack any specificity (is that a word?) to the person's site.

mawooshen, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  17. yfs1

Best Answers:
    I bought one although I still couldn't see where it said what size image I needed to upload (so I just uploaded my avatar)

Cheers

yfs1, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  18. mawooshen

mawooshen Peon

Best Answers:
    Great to have you on board yfs1, that was a quick response!

I'm not at my computer right now but should have your button uploaded by tomorrow.

Here's to fulfilling TOPS30's prophecy! :D

mawooshen, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  19. yfs1

Best Answers:
    You should have it setup so it automatically resizes the image and you can just hit an approve or disaprove button (That way you can administer it from anywhere)

yfs1, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  20. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Yes, that looks slick! Nice job!

I'll jump on the bandwagon later today. Might even blog about it if I find 20 spare seconds (hard to come by these days) :)

T0PS3O, Oct 19, 2006 IP