1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ we will not beg!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Madowashere, Jan 1, 2011.

Dear Whoever works with DMOZ,

I been reading old topics about how can you link your website into DMOZ and it's seems to be harder than climbing the Himalayas!

Why DMOZ moderators can't show up and say we would love to help you adding your websites?!?

Madowashere, Jan 1, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is dead! I lost hope in DMOZ 6 yrs ago and i never looked back. Instead i focused all my efforts to my website rather than asking dmoz to list my site.
    I guess life moves on with or without dmoz. sorry! thats my personal honest opinion and i dont mean to criticize dmoz or anybody.

olddocks, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here I am :).

Were you thinking that I should give priority attention to your website? There are probably millions of other website owners thinking exactly the same thing. Know what? I have no way of actually knowing which ones deserve priority without actually evaluating them - an impossible task.

Instead, I've done 1000s of edits in the last month in an area of the directory that has been neglected in recent years and that I think is important. Please note the I in that sentence. It's my voluntary effort that I'm spending and so I get to choose my priorities.

I suppose I could tell you what you should be doing with your spare time but I wouldn't dream of being so arrogant.

Absolutely the right thing to do - good luck to you :)

Have a happy new year all of you :)

jimnoble, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  4. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    So you admit that DMOZ has been neglected and I will give you reason why: DMOZ existing Policies.
    Maybe 10 years ago having 3 edits per year would be enough but not these days with millions of new sites
    popping up every year.

It takes on average only 5 minutes to review and edit one site, so to reflect changing times 12 edits or
    miserable 1 hour per year won’t make “real” editor sweat, considering I volunteer 1 hour every day by 365 days
    to deliver Meals on Wheels.

Now Jim, how about DMOZ joint us in 2011 by starting changing it dinosaurs age Rules so you don’t have to edit
    1,000 sites and let your “volunteers” to help you out a bit.

But you are arrogant assuming that we’re just a bunch of no good webmasters you are doing big favor.

Happy New Year, Jim!

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No.......I believe Jim said an area had been neglected. Some areas are not much fun to edit in and need a good clean up occasionally. I assume that Jim has volunteered his time into doing such a task.

Thats good :)

But i dont tell you how many days you have to volunteer, nor how long for, so dont you try and tell me how many sites i need to volunteer to edit each year.

Ive done 15,000 in 2 years, Many others have done more, many have done less......We dont need people like you telling us that we have to do "X" amount of edits. We get to choose how much time we get to donate to the project.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    snooks, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  6. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Would you like to point me to areas that doesn't neglected?

Yes, you’re right I can do that once per year and my effort still will be appreciated but
    I’m doing that not because somebody asked me to volunteer my time but because I want to
    help people as much as I can. I would give even more but I have no time as is.

Now, I’m not telling you how many sites your ‘volunteers’ must to edit every year, your rule does
    and that is what I’m talking about.

Well, you my hero but don’t you think that if others edited 12 instead of 3 sites per year, you and Jim
    would have to spend less time to do amount of work you have been doing presently?

Would you like to talk about neglected directory or you rather to lynch the messenger?

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure....one of my recent projects 6 months ago was

Cancer Organisations in Australia

Now people that reside in Australia that have a friend or family member suffering from Cancer, well, they can look through DMOZ and hopefully find an organisation to assist them in some way. That person may be you, may be your wife or may be another loved one........

It isnt work, its our hobby. How much other editors volunteer to do is their business, not mine and in no way affects how much i choose to edit.

Your comments are not genuine and merely aimed to cast a slur on both DMOZ and DMOZ Editors.

snooks, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If an editor does 3 edits in a year that is better than someone not being an editor at all and those 3 edits not getting done. Add that up over a few hundred editors and you have quite a few edits that were done that would not have been done without them.

That's one side of the coin, the other is that sometimes that is all the time a person can give, and indeed it is sometimes all that an editor needs to give. I keep coming across fairly small, but important categories that an editor keeps up to date, but only needs to pop in once a month or less to keep that catgeory in good shape.

And to see the edge of the coin we have brilliant editors who for one reason or another have to take months and years away because of family/work/health reasons and it's good that they just keep in touch by doing something close to the minimum so that when they have more time to spare they can take up the task, without being so rusty they feel they cannot return. Editors can always apply to return if they simply timed out and they were in good standing and have stayed in good standing since their departure. Editors in that position are usually, is my understanding, accepted back.

So you see Fastreplies changing the number of minimum edits that an editor needs to perform to stay, would almost certainly back fire on the directory.

Do we encourage editors to do more, well perhaps Snooks who has been involved with such projects more than I can perhaps spell out some of the things that we do to encourage editors to do more, to encourage new editors and to keep editors.

One of the best things of posting here at DP is when we have genuine enquiries about how to become and editor or how to return, I am pleased to say that my PM's carry some of those requests and I hope that I have been of real assistance.

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  9. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You’re confused my friend. It wasn’t me who initially said ”the directory that has been neglected in recent years”.
    So, please stick to something people call facts.

Fine, you get my respect as well as another dozens or maybe even hundreds of consciences editors who are going
    beyond 3 mandatory edits per year but that doesn’t change the fact that 30,000 of categories left “neglected” and you are
    the one who are sweating your asses by trying to place them in 2 wedding at the same time.

Granted, they can do their minimum edits but excuse me if I don’t fill respect and share your admiration for people
    who are making you, anon, Jim work harder to compensate their 15 minutes per year minimum involvement.

Sorry but I just cannot call them volunteers because in comparison to those of us who spend endless hours every year
    and those who are doing volunteer jobs like Green Peace, Doctors without borders on full time basis, DMOZ volunteers
    involvement is nothing but a joke. It reminds me non-perishable bin at Costco where some people drop some food once
    per year so they can walk by the rest of the year without even look at it.

:)

fastreplies

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
    fastreplies, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  10. instant87

instant87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is not being neglected, your site isn't up to DMOZ standards. I'm tired of people crying that "DMOZ didn't accept my site", or "didn't respond back", and that "DMOZ sucks and is horrible because you didn't let my site in"... well I got news for you, if it's rejected, they got a really good reason why. If DMOZ accepted every whining DPer's website, then it would definitely have way less value.

I got a solution for everybody who criticizes DMOZ... stop crying and move on. If you don't like it, then don't use it. It's not up for debate.

instant87, Jan 2, 2011 IP
    Anonymously and CReed like this.
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Now lets see what Jim REALLY DID SAY
    Great way you take things out of context, fast, and then twist the meaning to mean something different, his meaning is very clear that this was a section and you have twisted it to try and say he talked about the whole directory. I will let others judge what that makes you and probably that directory that you work on as well.

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  12. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    and I made exact point directly related to what Jim said.

and if you read my post again, you'll see that I applauded Jim, you, snooks [​IMG] for doing
    your job and I said that there are 30,000 areas of directory that has been neglected.

Would you like to talk about 30,000 of neglected categories?
    I'm more than willing to participate and to oblige your objections in that discussion.

AMRAY Directory is not equating in any way with what Jim says about DMOZ and as to myself,
    there is only naked fact that I was nearly repeating... Jim's statement in form it has been made.

[​IMG]

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  13. jilliani

jilliani Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Want a dmoz listing, just buy an expired domain name with a current listing. I've done it multiple times.

jilliani, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  14. mrdeflation

mrdeflation Member

Best Answers:
    unless you know someone at DMOZ you arent getting a link .. no way

mrdeflation, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  15. contentcreat0r

contentcreat0r Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never been able to get a link on DMOZ either....

contentcreat0r, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  16. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's because your site is behind a thousand other listings that need to be manually reviewed. Could also be that you did not follow the guidelines and listing was rejected.

This has been said a million times already and i know i am wasting my time in saying this but "Submit it and forget about it". I know a lot of dmoz editors but i am not going to bribe them to approve my site. I'm not that type of guy anyways and not getting a listing in dmoz will not ruin my life. I know other fluffy and quality directories would approve my site within 1 month. Check the other section here in DP forum for free directories to submit to.

snakeair, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You do understand, if they find out which ones, they will ban those sites, even if you did not change the content.

It's been done several times in the past, as certain editors actually watch sales threads and remove sold sites... as it's more important to watch for sites selling so that editors can take the time to remove the sold site that MIGHT change, rather then hunt down sites that actually do change.

Qryztufre, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  18. provaltech

provaltech Peon

Best Answers:
    We all knows it is to hard to get approval through the DMOZ. Always remember one thing Hard work is give more advantage.

provaltech, Jan 11, 2011 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  19. s8solutions

s8solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of opportunities to hit #1 without using DMOZ. If you feel you need them to help your site remain competitive with other sites in your niche, then do your best to adhere to their standards, submit to their site, and do whatever it takes to get listed. Even if it comes down to begging or doing what you feel is beneath you. After all, your competitors did it if they are listed. Their site. Their rules.

After all, there's no shame in being the guy who was a beggar, but whose site is in the #1 spot on all of the search engines.

s8solutions, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Shame that one can beg as much as one likes, but it does not shorten the time for a review for a possible listing. Suggest and forget, it really is the only course of action. So please don't demean yourself when it gets you absolutely zilch.

Anonymously, Jan 13, 2011 IP