1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

why has the google algorithm never been leaked?

Discussion in 'Google' started by disgust, Oct 10, 2006.

1. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    laughing why? I can pretty much guarantee you this is a possibility google is well aware of and probably takes rather seriously.

distributing things on a need to know basis helps, but it doesn't prevent leaks entirely. you still get them in the military, in other billion dollar corporations, etc.

this is most likely true, but again, that wouldn't stop individual subsections from being leaked. particularly those webmasters would find most interesting.

in any case, though, unless I'm completely mistaken, the entire algo resides in at least one server at every datacenter-- probably more.

parts of the algo that they wish to make public have been detailed. everytime they file a patent they need to make a decision: how can we secure our intellectual property while revealing as little as possible about the specifics of how we rank pages?

beyond that, there are many "red herring" patents that obviously aren't in use. and perhaps some that we're lead to believe are in use but in fact aren't.

why would people leak military secrets, other software, or movies and music, when they're biting the hand that feeds them? to some extent I think it's human nature.

beyond that, though, it's not like an intentional leak is the only way information could get out.

why do you assume that google would undoubtably be able to track down the leak? leaks exist in other giant corporations and thet have no idea where they're coming from. if someone has access to the algo, chances are they're not a dumb person, and would be able to 1) tell if google would be able to tell, for lack of a more eloquent way to put it and 2) be able to remove any identifying features of the code that made lead google back to them.

people reverse engineer and crack software for fun, with absolutely no monetary incentive, all the time.

all it takes is one person to be able to decipher it. then the information would flow, and flow rather fast.

see bit about patents above.

uh, source? I know, obviously, that if an individual is found to have leaked something they have the right to fire them. but the whole team? that seems a bit extreme. curious if there's an actual source on this.

---

I'm not saying there aren't countermeasures in place. I do find it strange, however, that so many other major, major corporations suffer from this sort of thing but google never has-- not in the near-decade it's existed.

disgust, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  2. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think they are laughing because people have so many thoughts on what goes on there and probably most are far from reality.

I was just throwing in my 2 cents, not to be taken to seriously, wasn't stating this as fact - calm down, I will post more in the morning and may be more serious then ... or maybe not..

debunked, Oct 10, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.
  3. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    wasn't taking things too seriously ;) just wasn't sure if you were suggesting that literally or just trying to express a point via exaggeration.

which do you think are so far from reality, out of curiousity?

disgust, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  4. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    None specifically, I don't know what goes on there. I think we all have assumptions, some or most may be true, but some are going to be wrong. I just know what it is like to have a secret that others are trying to figure out, sometimes it is nothing like what people were guessing and in my experience, usually the one small voice is the one closest to reality and others make fun of that person for even guessing that.

So I like throwing around the ideas of why or what is going on, but I also realize we could be way off the mark.

debunked, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  5. 121603

121603 Peon

Best Answers:
    ok here's a theory.. how about there are already leaks but we just don't know if it's just speculation or not? :p

121603, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  6. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We all pretty much know how the search algorithm works, good page optimisation and links from good relevent sites to an old trusted domain with aged links.

Knowing that and putting it into practice is another matter though.

MattUK, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  7. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've got a copy of the algo code, I just dont really understand it. Probably if I knew what it was all about I could make a bit of money....anyone want to buy it (full resale rights included). Only $9.95

(I've seen copies on ebay too)

Notting, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  8. Keone

Keone Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it has leaked and lots of money has been paid for it. Those who bought never post it here and those who sold .... wll you know why they don't talk about it....
    Pretty naive to think things can be kept secret. Nothing is secret as long as there are things to trade or bills to be paid.

If you bring the right amount of money - a n y t h i n g - can be bought

Keone, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  9. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I just don't see that it'll be worth much, people already know the main factors and most still can't manage to rank well. Even if you know the algorithm inside out, it wouldn't give you that much of an advantage.

MattUK, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  10. Ballz

Ballz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People who leak it.. would know its importance... and use it to their own good privately.. in public eye its good for nothing.. its better a group of 10 enjoy.. rather than no one at all.

Ballz, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  11. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    true enough.

however, none of us knows for sure, for example, what exactly leads to established trust for an new domain.

disgust, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  12. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not eaxctly no, but we're in a position to guess that it's factors such as the age of the domain, then age of the links and links from other trusted and authority sites. I've be very surprised if it was vastly different from that.

Even though we know those factors, it doesn't make it any easier to put theory into action though.

MattUK, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    The key people all get paid fortunes and everybody envies their jobs. That means there's little incentive to go share some secrets. And as been said here before, earlier int his thread, I doubt there is one such magic formula. The data is likely to go through various stages and no one stage is of any use to anyone.

T0PS3O, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  14. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One other slight problem is that Google keeps changing the algo (sometimes fundamentally).

Bernard, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  15. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    Maybe there's an algo for the algo??

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  16. Hopper

Hopper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or maybe its a series of Algo's, or more likely the Algo is kept on seperate servers so that its never all together in one place. A bit like the Uk royal family never travelling on the same train or plane! :D

Also, don;t forget the 'If I told you I'd have to kill you' saying. :D

Or maybe its all a con and there is no Algo, maybe they just put all the domains in a tub and pull them out at random like a giant bran tub!

Hopper, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    T0PS3O likes this.
  17. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    The algo could be The Matrix and we are really just lying naked in a bath of oily goo connected by electrodes! :)

Cheap SEO Services, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  18. amnezia

amnezia Peon

Best Answers:
    they are not known, they are speculated

I doubt there are two maybe three people in google who have a complete understanding of the whole algorithm. I would image different departments handle different parts.

amnezia, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  19. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    Which of google algorithm you dont know ? everyone knows google algo n hence they rank #1 ...
    No SE can hide their Algo

seoindiaweb, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  20. Keone

Keone Peon

Best Answers:
    you watch to many movies or work to hard on your movie reviews site haha

Keone, Oct 11, 2006 IP