1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Reward for Helping the DP Community! Again?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Ausdrez, Dec 18, 2010.

So, not much time has been passed since my last "co-incidental" mis-fortune by a Moderator's mistake when I was trying to helping the community over here. That time, it was considered just a mistake on moderator's end and he too accepted it. It was settled too. I am not a person who just whines for the obvious violation of rules. I always try to abide by the rules, hence it hurts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---Issue Details---
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Now, I don't think one can move a thread and even send an infraction by mistake. So basically, what I did that I had prepared a well researched and detailed guide to save the DP buyers from the scammers. What I was under impression, that by dedicating my time, work and research to this well-prepared guide, I am helping the community in some way or other since it contained real world examples and things to avoid 99% of scams that goes on here in voucher section of DP. So finally, me and many other peoples expressed their strong interest in having such guide "Sticky" in the voucher forum.

Since I couldn't find any official sticky request feature, I reported my own thread and requested to make it sticky in order to save all prospected buyers from voucher scammers. That was my biggest mistake ever I guess. Instead of concerning what I requested, the thread was moved and I got an infraction for "Thread started in wrong category". For a guide, that already collected many +reps and sticky request from members here. I wonder, do the modes here really read what's even written in a report?

The thread in question is here. Since it deals exclusively with "Voucher Scamming" and it's useful basically for voucher traders, shouldn't it naturally be posted in vouchers section with even the tiniest bit of brain? That's what I did but it was instead moved to "General Chat". Now I really wonder, how many of voucher buyers would look in "General Chat" before getting scammed and how will it help in saving more vouchers buyers to be more safe? Just take YOURSELF as an example, if you were a voucher coupon codes buyer, are you supposed to find a scam saving guide in Vouchers section itself or in a General Chat?

The biggest support example is This Thread. This is also a set of exact kind of tips to avoid domain scamming/godaddy scamming. Hence, it is an sticky in the "Domains" section. By the same rules, doesn't this topic too qualify for the "Vouchers" section?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---Issue Details End---
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

So finally, what I would request and appreciate from some responsible Moderator or Administrator ( Shawn ?) to have a personal look over this issue and more appreciatively, have these actions done:

1. Move the thread back in Vouchers section and make it Sticky

(If possible and considered in favor for the community by the respected mods)

2. Reverse the infraction
    (If possible)

3. A short comment over this issue and the rule in general

Ausdrez, Dec 18, 2010 IP
    ~~~~ likes this.
  2. laxman363

laxman363 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why mods give infraction for that. It wasn't a mistake like creating thread of vouchers in traffic section. It was intentional to help someone. I see that the post is heck lot of informative and at least i wouldn't have offered an infraction if i was a mod.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    laxman363, Dec 19, 2010 IP
    Ausdrez likes this.
  3. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That thread actually belonged to GC as it was not regarding buying or Selling anything, you should have created it there and then it'd have been the staffs call as to whether it should be stickied in vouchers forum.

Helvetii, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  4. Ausdrez

Ausdrez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Helvetti,

Then what's the deal with that Domain Scamming thread? There are various threads created in the forums that don't strictly have to do anything with Buying or Selling but they are there because the category needs them.

But in any case, I do realize what you are trying to say. One should never try to any such thing on his own - at least not the one who lacks a bunch of green blobs next to his username (unlike the example thread author) or isn't known personally by the moderators.

Either way, so what's the "staffs call" now?

Ausdrez, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  5. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    As Helvetii said, discussion threads do not belong in buy, sell, trade.

Smyrl, Dec 19, 2010 IP
    robjones likes this.
  6. Ausdrez

Best Answers:
    Hi Shannon,

I really do wonder whether you have read the thread completely or not? I can completely understand that you really are short on time and there is an endless amount of spam you have to deal with on day-by-day basis that goes here in DP but you really should grasp the feel of the things before hammering. Same kind of incident was happened when last you just moved one of my reported thread out of the moderator's area to the General one. I would kindly request you to please give at least five minutes to the thread in question instead of winning a competition of making 100 clicks in a minute. (No, literally - you could have at least take your time to reply properly instead of a single line hammer that really dragged outta me. At least in the way and 3 points basis OP asked for)

I would like to request some another moderator / administrator to have a look over it in case she is failing for certain things.

Ausdrez, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  7. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Oh for god sake people, man is trying to be outstanding member of this Digital Pointless community
    without seeking any benefits for himself and you treat him like some fucking piece of shit.

So, he made honest mistake and posted meant for good of all the Public in wrong forum. So what?
    Just move that post to where you think it's belong, thank him for good job he has done and move
    to the next guy from Trollsylvania to teach him a lesson how to say "thank you" using 12 variations.

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  8. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    An infraction really isn't going to kill anyone, lol..

Hecky, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  9. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    This is not just about infraction but rather an attitude.
    Not every violation is the same and as a rule surrounded by different circumstances.
    I can understand when people like myself who are doing thing knowingly with total
    disregard to infractions/bans getting "punished" but not in this case, when guy
    shouldn't be given infraction for being nice to others.

fastreplies

10. Hecky

Hecky Like a Dungeon Dragon!

Best Answers:
    I don't really agree that there's any 'attitude' in here.. It's more a black and white case of being in the right or the wrong category. The sales category is created for sales threads, his thread wasn't a sales thread so the procedure is to move + infract. Whether it was a good act or not doesn't really come into it.

Hecky, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    A single infraction doesn't do anything... so something started in the wrong category isn't a big deal in itself. If someone starts 20 threads all in the wrong category, then yes... it would matter. Infractions also expire over time, so it's not like it's a permanent thing.

The reality is we get too many posts every day (one every couple seconds) to sit down with users and explain what was wrong with the post. Infractions are a quick way that ultimately serves exactly the same purpose as explaining to the user what was wrong.

digitalpoint, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  12. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, it’s like saying what is the big deal if someone gets one whiplash now and then just to remind
    that “we” have power to do so at will and I say it should be used as a last resort.

If you want to explain something then do it with yellow warning if person made honest mistake.
    IMO Ausdrez made one without meaning any harm and least you can do is to be a mentch and
    give him another chance without telling him that he has another 9 whiplashes to go.

:)

fastreplies

13. Ausdrez

Best Answers:
    @Fastreplies,
    Thanks for being on the side. :)

@Mods, Shannon, Even Shawn

I really do wonder whether you guys have even looked what the thread is? (Pardon me for being not so nice, but it's what I felt). The thread in questions is NOT a DISCUSSION but instead a GUIDELINE for that particular forum. Examples below:

So, my question is NOT related to infraction (However they do hurt) but to making the thread sticky in the vouchers section. All I would like to know from Admin that whether this thread deserves to be sticky in the section or not - By the same reasons the below examples are there:

1. Avoid Being Cheated On DigitalPoint Marketplace. A Guide For Buyers.
    This thread resides in root Buy Sell and Trade Section

2. Vendors Be Careful when selling using Paypal and GoDaddy
    This thread is in BST/Domains section, informing us to not get scammed.

3. General Tips on how to properly buy or sell a website
    Guidelines to properly buy or sell a website. Located in BST/Sites section.

4. Before you sell or give something please read this
    And informative thread, again located in BST/Content section.

So, I had seen those threads and thought it what I am doing, is perfect for vouchers section. Have those guys got infraction and their threads moved? So by the same reasons, shouldn't this thread too be stickied in vouchers section itself (As many posters expressed it too)? And not because of it is "My" thread - I would have fought over this issue if it would have been anyone's thread. That fact is, I feel that the guide can really help the community here to not getting scammed in voucher trading - and many other members feel it too.

If it still looks DISCUSSION to you, then you are welcome to clean the thread, delete the replies and lock it before making sticky. Or tell me if it doesn't qualify, then I should proceed to report all of the examples threads above in order to have them all moved in General Chat.

(Whew! I really apologize to raise an issue like this but. I, in no way want to create controversies but it just makes me sad to see the "Discrimination" by mods and their in-ability look an issue properly without reading what it actually is. When those example threads where created, it was just luck that we had some responsible mods probably and now, we have got the lazy ones. All I want to bring this thing to light, nothing else.)

Ausdrez, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Every example you gave were stickies, your thread is not a sticky.

15. Ausdrez

Best Answers:
    Yepp Shawn, that's exactly I too am asking your opinion for. Making it sticky, hence the sticky examples intentionally.

I guess all those threads were not sticky by birth, but made sticky later by the mods who felt the need. So I would like to ask you personally once and for all: Don't you personally feel to make this thread sticky too (Have a look over peoples opinion too in that thread)? If yes, then please do so. If not, tell me outright and I will close the issue.

Ausdrez, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  16. Rohit patel

Rohit patel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is but I think it's deserve to be sticky thread! At least it provide some assistance to members to do business in Voucher section! I wish you make it sticky and it's good for members too. ;)

Rohit patel, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not sure, to be honest I haven't had time to read it.

18. Ausdrez

Best Answers:
    Thanks for being honest Shawn.

Another vote for making it sticky right above your post. I will really appreciate if you take just 2 minutes out of you and have a quick glance over that thread. You will instantly grasp what sort of thread it is and what it deserves. :)

It is located here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2034568

Ausdrez, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  19. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I also agree it should be stickied but don't agree with Ausdrez way of pressing for it. Have some dignity man. If I were in your place I would have just created the thread in the correct section, then Pm'ed a mod or made a thread here asking for it to be stickied if it deserves to and left it there.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Helvetii, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  20. ~~~~

~~~~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well he took a bold step and got an infraction for the same :p
    Coming back, it really deserves a sticker :)

~~~~, Dec 19, 2010 IP
    Ausdrez likes this.