1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dad looking for a database site

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by willhaynes, Dec 17, 2010.

So my dad collects stamps. (yeah I know, but it keeps him busy in retirement)

He has recently expressed some interest in cataloging his collection online, for the world to browse and trade.

I've sent him on a mission to learn some HTML (which he will inevitably need at some point) but I'm trying to find a solution that will let him display large amounts of stamps.

It'll end up looking something like this:
    http://www.historicmapsprintspapers.com/aprints.html
    but with many many more entries.

I'm looking for something that will be easy to understand and update for a newbie, and also provides functionality for searching, sorting, splitting long lists into multiple pages, etc. It could be a CMS, or a program that would update an HTML file, or

In summary, simple and fast to add new entries, and easy to navigate. As he says "something like excel, on the web"

Anything he can maintain himself would be a plus. Would mean less support calls to me!

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Will

ps. I should mention, I have no problem setting up databases, coding a theme, designing, setting up FTP or anything. I just don't know the best solution for him atm.

willhaynes, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  2. shofstetter

shofstetter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I could code a simple php/mysql cms to allow him upload pictures edit title / description for each stamp right from his web browser, as well as displaying the stamps with a searchable index.

shofstetter, Dec 18, 2010 IP
    willhaynes likes this.
  3. jBud

jBud Peon

Best Answers:
    why not just use wordpress, have a bunch of categories such as by year, price, issue etc (whatever stamp classifications are)..
    whenever adding a new stamp, just click the category it fits & voilà
    -- i think that wordpress is pretty easy to learn for the novice user

-- you can use the comment section for other things, such as trade requests????
    there are also massive amounts of plugins for just about anything else you can imagine...

jBud, Dec 18, 2010 IP
    willhaynes likes this.
  4. developerpanda

developerpanda Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to be a philatelist [stamp collector] during high school. Its a great hobby!

Just get him a WordPress powered site, it will do him good.

developerpanda, Dec 18, 2010 IP
    willhaynes likes this.
  5. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    this could be very simple or very complicated depending on the features list.

most promising option to me is creating a marketplace and social site for collectors.

on the easy end you could use a off-the-shelf software like vbulletin. this would allow people join, post their collections, make trades etc.

webcosmo, Dec 18, 2010 IP
    willhaynes likes this.
  6. willhaynes

willhaynes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the offer. I could do that myself, but I'm looking for something a little more low maintenance (for me), and free. If there's a pre-made CMS that does basically this function, I'd look into that.

I thought about wordpress, problem is he wants to categorize thousands of stamps, and he won't want to sit there making thousands of posts, uploading images to them, etc. I'll look to see if I can find a plugin that might work (make it simpler to add stamps).

This is going to be a personal site, not social.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll add some reps.

-Will

willhaynes, Dec 24, 2010 IP