1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay risky when selling on PayPal

Discussion in 'eBay' started by bobthecaring, Aug 8, 2010.

I've recently been in a situation where the seller was very misleading in his selling description, and part of the money I paid him was not covered by PayPal's buyer protection. I did not want to get jibbed so what I did was open a dispute claim for items not received, and when the items came to the door I refused them and had the mail lady take it back. I won the case because I did not get the items.

I have to say, although in this case I think I won rightfully, the buyer protection program is almost completely in favor of the seller! I sell on eBay myself, but since this situation happened, I feel too vulnerable and wonder if I will ever bother using PayPal for this again.

Any thoughts?

bobthecaring, Aug 8, 2010 IP
  2. Internet Marketing IQ

Internet Marketing IQ Guest

Best Answers:
    Paypal could care less. I know people who have been burned bad by scammers using paypal.

Internet Marketing IQ, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  3. bobthecaring

bobthecaring Peon

Best Answers:
    terrible, there are so many scam stories, google it and you won't be able to read them all

bobthecaring, Aug 10, 2010 IP
  4. dorsett5214

dorsett5214 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes! it is a bit risky, l have had same feeling with writer ,but l have to deal with it with all buyers!l am trying my best to find a good and safe website!

dorsett5214, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  5. contentking818

contentking818 Peon

Best Answers:
    You did the right thing in this situation...paypal favors buyers most of the time... but you do find that some sellers on ebay are interested in only making a quick buck...

contentking818, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  6. bobthecaring

bobthecaring Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes that's right, that's where the protection comes in handy. Still though, I feel that the process is way too lopsided in favor of the buyer and that is what scares me away from selling on ebay. I will consider other methods of payment, but PayPal, just too risky.

bobthecaring, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  7. troyj

troyj Peon

Best Answers:
    well you just made a mistake on choosing a seller. thats all.next time maybe you should be very careful.

troyj, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  8. dalt

dalt Active Member

Best Answers:
    My daughter sold several designer items on Ebay. One buyer placed a dispute with Paypal, claiming that the item wasn't received. Paypal payed the woman before even discussing this with my daughter and deducted the amount from my daughters paypal account. Now, normally they would get away with this, but my daughter is a lawyer. They backpedalled so fast it wasn't funny. Firstly my daughter advised them that they didn't have authorisation to deduct her account. This is fraudulent activity without such authorisation. She demanded they show her the signed authorisation, which they couldn't. Secondly, they didn't offer my daughter and appeal process...a big no, no. They didn't ask the purchaser to produce a statutory declaration declaring non receipt of the goods which would have allowed my daughter to claim insurance via the post, etc., etc. They didn't ask the purchaser if in fact she had a letterbox or what type of letterbox. The moral to the story is, don't accept crap from Paypal if you think they are in the wrong. Just because they are big and powerful, they think they can get away with whatever they want. This is crap, so stand up for yourself. They will eventually backdown.

dalt, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  9. scithe

scithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like the OP didn't read the description until after buying and paying. Then he refuses the package and screws the seller out of shipping. That sucks.

scithe, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  10. drkwrld

drkwrld Active Member

Best Answers:
    PayPal sucks if you sell digital goods. I had a client that screwed me up with PayPal. Beware!!! when you sell digital goods...

drkwrld, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  11. bobthecaring

bobthecaring Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very late, but I read the description very well. I even asked him 3 times to make sure we were on the same page for what I was getting. He knew I was mislead and didn't care to tell me my understanding is not correct. If the seller is not honest, why should I be the one stuck with a package that I didn't want when the seller failed to clarify my understanding 3 times? He just says, yes, yes, perfect, you will get it in time don't worry. Feeling screwed over, I did what is best to protect myself and guarantee my money back which is refusing the package at the door.

Still, I felt bad for the seller and paid him the shipping cost.

bobthecaring, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  12. bobthecaring

bobthecaring Peon

Best Answers:
    They messed with the wrong daughter!

13. bobthecaring

bobthecaring Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh tell me about it. I can only imagine how horrible that can be because there is no such thing as seller protection when you don't have a tangible product shipped with tracking.

14. iShappy

iShappy Peon

Best Answers:
    so true... so true

iShappy, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  15. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's so easy to make fraudulent money with Paypal...
    Unfortunately, honest people almost lose every case. Crooks know how to do...

Codythebest, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  16. Latertrans

Latertrans Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I don't like paypal but I do not have any other choice.

Latertrans, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  17. charlie03

charlie03 Peon

Best Answers:
    PayPal sucks when you sell digital goods. Victim before . :( :(

charlie03, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  18. Blake Stewart

Blake Stewart Member

Best Answers:
    It can be risky sometimes but that's why you should only buy from members that have a very good feedback rating and that have been users for a good length of time.

Blake Stewart, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  19. moustafa

moustafa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I am with you that Paypal makes alot of troubles while buying or selling on ebay.

But do you have a good alternative to use it on Ebay?

moustafa, Apr 30, 2011 IP