1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS compatibility in every browser

Discussion in 'CSS' started by neemoil, Nov 23, 2010.

1. radiant_luv

radiant_luv Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the need of multiple version 6,7,8,9 of same browser? W3C has set the guidelines, follow and build ONE version of the browser. I'm tired of these versions and fixing websites to the need of these versions. If this company goes like this in another few years we may have 10,11,12..along with older ones. High time there should be eliminations of versions and coming out boldly with one version. There is always "IF" with everything released by MS. The recent launch of beta IE9 if you have win 7. huh! why to let suffers others because you are unable to produce a quality product.

radiant_luv, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @radiant_luv - Exactly!

drhowarddrfine, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  3. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that's just silly. In 1998 they didn't write browsers for code and standards that weren't going to exist until 2008. Thus different versions. And I'm sure as technology advances and standards advance and evolve so will new browsers.

It's common practice for all software companies to get their products on the market as soon as they can so they can start recovering some of the cost of development. Then they start releasing patches. ALL of them do this.

There's a big difference between in house testing and releasing it to the public where you have millions of people trying to break it. It called life in the real world.

ronc0011, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes they did and still do. Everything you see in HTML and CSS existed in browsers before a standard existed.
    FIRST comes the implementation. THEN the standard. IE's version changes are mostly bug fixes, not new implementations. IE9 will be their FIRST browser to implement newer features that didn't exist 10 years ago.

In fact, the HTML5 working group has already stated that HTML5 will not be final until there are at least two working implementations in browsers.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    drhowarddrfine, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  5. radiant_luv

radiant_luv Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's say FF 3.6 is a considered as modern browser. It can be installed accross Win7, XP. FF doesn't make the products OS oriented like MS does. in-fact when I upgrade to a new version I forget about the older version as i know new version has what older version already had. And FF doesn't say I need to have older version for any specific OS.
    Whereas to what MS is tyring to achive by IE9 (claiming that it will be one of the modern browser), it says it is only for WIN7. What about XP users? So XP users still be using older browser? There will be FF v 4 soon and creator's don't say if you want to expereince a modern browser you need specific OS.

Web is not belong to one company and not supposed be dictated.

radiant_luv, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  6. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft makes a vast array of products most of which are aimed at enterprise level network structures. These products include many features such as security, network management features, the list just goes on and on. Then they come out with the .net framework which is incorporated into all of their new stuff. I don't think it's particularly surprising that MS wrote their new browser to be specifically compatible and integrated with their new OS. You may have noticed that MS no longer supports Windows 2000 and now that I think of it I'm pretty sure they have dropped support for XP No more new service packs for Xp.

ronc0011, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Hence another benefit of standards. No technology change at the whim of one company or for sales and profits.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  8. explosivefruit

explosivefruit Member

Best Answers:
    I always build in Firefox and then use conditional stylesheets to fix the various quirks of IE6/7/8. I find a height:1% will usually do the job in IE6. ;)

explosivefruit, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  9. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    What you mean are "conditional comments", not "conditional stylesheets". Quirks mode can also appear when you use NO doctype or the wrong one for your code.

height:1%; won't fix everything in IE6/7...

Building with FF is not the correct way to build a site. Cross-browser compatibility does not work this way

CSM, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure what CSM means by that is starting with Firefox is OK but targeting Firefox is not. All browsers have bugs so counting on any one of them to get everything right is not good so testing in other browsers is necessary.

To be clear, we target standards and test in the most standards compliant browser we can. Firefox is one of them but we also use Chrome/Safari and Opera to verify; get a second opinion if you will. Then we look to see how IE screws everything up but IE is a different animal and you need to treat it as such.

drhowarddrfine, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  11. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for pointing that out, mate.

- IE is a beast, animals can be nice, IE can't :p -

CSM, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  12. hardik_dan

hardik_dan Peon

Best Answers:
    1 thing is get yourself learn css grids.
    second care about web standards.
    learn html5 and css3 :)

hardik_dan, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  13. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    1. HTML5 is not standard yet
    2. CSS3 is not standard yet
    3. you need to know what you do when you use CSS grids

CSM, Dec 9, 2010 IP