1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is LSI or LSA SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Sachinsinghnegi, Dec 3, 2010.

Hello Everyone,
    I want to be know about...

1. What is LSI & LSA seo?
    2. How to choose keyword n this strategy?
    3. How can I LSI or LSA use for my site?

Please describe me about LSI & LSA. I am waiting for positive reply.

Thanks
    Sachin Sing Negi

Sachinsinghnegi, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  2. v4vikaskatoch

v4vikaskatoch Peon

Best Answers:
    Latent semantic Indexing (LSI) is a process of extracting related words or information from your website content. This is very interesting topic in Information Retrieval (IR) System. Top search engines works on the latent semantic indexing (LSI) based.

Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA) is applied by taking millions of web pages, where the search engines can learn which words are related and which noun concepts relate to one another

v4vikaskatoch, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  3. deutsched

deutsched Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, both seem like huge topics of their own
    I've never heard about them while I was doing my own keyword research. Might search for some pages that could explain them in detail..

deutsched, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  4. ruzler

ruzler Banned

Best Answers:
    me too, something new to me. going to look for more details)

ruzler, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  5. JimBoom

JimBoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Need to correct the record here. There is a HUGE perpetuated myth about LSI and it's use in search engine rankings. Google purchased a company once that used this LSI technology but that DOESN'T MEAN that Google uses LSI in their ranking algorithm... unfortunately this myth has spread throughout the SEO community and many naive or dishonest SEOs claim that they can use "LSI techniques" to help improve your site's performance. This is pure BS, so don't be taken in by it. LSI is a real thing with practical applications, but it is NOT used by Google or other search engines, at least not at the moment. Take a look at this blog post which explains the myth of LSI in detail: http://boomient.com/seo-blog/seo-snake-oil-part-1-latent-semantic-indexing-lsi

JimBoom, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  6. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Jim4767, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  7. JimBoom

JimBoom Peon

Best Answers:
    @Jim4767 Thanks for posting that article. It appears to supports my point that LSI is not part of the Google algorithm, since LSI is not even mentioned in the article. Google does do a lot with synonyms, as they must, otherwise results would not be diverse, but the specific LSI technique is not part of that.

For those content-writers out there hoping to get attention. Do a search using a tilde sign (~) in front of the keyword, and Google will show you what other words they consider to be synonyms. It's worth using those words in your content along with your chosen keyword... for one it's better writing to use a diverse vocabulary, and for another, it's going to give your content greater opportunity to be found from a wider variety of queries.

JimBoom, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  8. xenobiologist

xenobiologist Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also isn't LSI part of the new semantic web architecture that will someday replace today's method of search

xenobiologist, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  9. awebmaster

awebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanx JimBoom for clearing myth about LSI. I read that article for which you gave link. I m still more curious to know more about LSI.

Also having one doubt:
    I believe that Google use LSI in there algorithm can be myth. but what is the surity that Google is not using LSI in their search Algorithm?

Also need a small help:
    Can you please give me example of searching something using (~) sign to get synonyms. I have tried but dint get it. If you can include an image with any search with (~) it will be really nice help.

Thanx for your wonderful insight on LSI.

awebmaster, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  10. JimBoom

JimBoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Your welcome... the certainty on LSI comes from the reality of what it is... it's a process called associative indexing, which means that every term would have to get compared to every other term every time a search is done. This is inefficient and would never work in a system as large as Google search. They just don't need it, their current indexing and retrieval system is better for web search. LSI is just some fancy-speak that is waaaay overused by people trying to impress you, and it's ironic because of how completely wrong they all are about it.

Anyway, in my previous post I mentioned the use of the tilde symbol, and I put it in parens which I think confused you. Don't use the parens, just use the tilde in front of the keyword, like ~golf
    and you'll see that Google will bold the synonyms for golf in the search results. sorry for the confusion

JimBoom, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  11. awebmaster

awebmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your quick Reply and nice insight on LSI again.

Also got the proper use of (~) now, got the synonyms about my search keyword. I think you are true that we should always use these synonyms for our targeted keywords. Also helpful to write keyword reach content.

Nice help I really appreciated :)

awebmaster, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  12. JimBoom

JimBoom Peon

Best Answers:
    no problem, anytime. Keep me in mind if you know anyone who needs #SEO work or marketing help with their web presence.
    :cool:

JimBoom, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  13. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:

The Google uses LSI myth was busted in early 2007 in The LSI Myth.

If you didn't major in maths but want to know what LSI actually is read What is Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI)?

If you read both of these references then you will understand that search engines do not use LSI because it is computationally inefficient and there are better ways to acheive similar results.

- Michael

Michael, Dec 10, 2010 IP
  14. makwarne

makwarne Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks a lot for providing such a meaningful information.

makwarne, Dec 11, 2010 IP