1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by scylla, Feb 22, 2006.

?

Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

1. Dreamweaver

87.5%
  2. FrontPage

12.5%
  1. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Given that BOTH are total **** crap and you'd be better served by a flat text editor? Hell, you'd be better served by NOTEPAD!!!

deathshadow, Jan 4, 2010 IP
  2. scylla

scylla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually I've been practicing up with dreamweaver and it's not so bad.

scylla, Jan 7, 2010 IP
  3. esspro

esspro Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver By Far. Its Much More Easier 2 use compared to frontpage...it seems more proffesionall

esspro, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  4. wewanttraffic.com

wewanttraffic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    It is good to use dreamweaver because it has better options fro HTML developer to learn also.

wewanttraffic.com, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Only on DP can a thread like this go on for four years, duplicate the same thread on another board, and duplicate efforts all over the web on other forums.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  6. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    It amazes me that nobody here has ever heard of Visual Studio. VS is 10X the editor that DW is and it's free. It has built in drag & drop support for MS SQL. It validates your code as you type it ( flags mistakes ). Also I didn't think MS even made FrontPage anymore.

Also I just can't see the argument for using notepad. It has no kind of visual aids for writing code i.e. color coding the code so it's easier to see and read or check (debug). Almost any kind of editor would be better for writing code as opposed to searching for a comma that should be a period in a page of code that has no color coding or formatting.

I used DW for years and I hated it. It was always reformatting my code which would cause tags to get thrown way off to the side of the page causing them to get lost. Pisses me off just remembering how many times I've rewritten a page just because I tried to fix a page that wasn't really broke simply because a closing tag had disappeared. Finally after having that happen for the umpteenth time I decided I was going to bite the bullet and learn a different software. I spent the money to get the academic version of VS and never looked back. Then I discovered that the express edition has everything the paid version has and it's free. The only difference between the paid version and the express version is that the paid version has support for team development environment.

ronc0011, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  7. wewanttraffic.com

wewanttraffic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Well VS is good but usually it used for programming purpose and DW is usually used for HTML coding

wewanttraffic.com, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  8. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's why I said it's 10X the editor that DW is. VS is a suite of softwares and among them is Visual Web Developer. But because they are all integrated Microsoft has stopped offering Visual Web Developer separately and now just offers the full suite Visual Studio. It has full support for MS SQL in fact it has the SQL Server Management Studio built right in to the VWD environment. VS has insanely robust DB Support.

Just to give you an idea you should have a look at one of the tutorials at ASP.NET. Here's one for building a membership system

http://www.asp.net/general/videos/how-do-i-secure-my-site-using-membership-and-roles

9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    VS Express is free. The full version is not and more expensive than DW.
    As stated in this thread FOUR YEARS AGO!
    Never needed it. Never will.

10. unna

unna Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am using DW CS3 but when i start to learn HTML, i frequently used FP.

unna, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  11. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    I originally bought the academic version of VS for about $300. I had also used the enterprise version at the company where I worked. I have sense used the last two releases of the Express edition (free). The only difference is that the paid version has support for team development environments, i.e. "version control" It is really, really, really unlikely that you will ever run into anything missing in the express edition that you would find in a paid edition unless you are working for a large shop where several coders are working on the same site/ files and it's necessary to ensure that work doesn't get overwritten.

As for notepad, I just don't see the point in using a rock to drive a nail when I can use a nail gun, especially if the nail gun is free.

Be that as it may I can see it's point of pride for you so best of luck, happy coding.

12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Never said anything about Notepad. I use BSD so I use vim.
    So it has nothing to do with pride. I don't need crutches or 'helpers' to code.

13. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    BSD ??? No thanks, been there, done that. I ran Linux on this machine for a couple of months. No thanks. I'd have to invest another 10 years to get to the same place I am with Microsoft. I'm glad it works for you, keep on keeping on.

14. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both suck real bad and produce terrible coding, of course yeah you can use code veiw but then why run such a large program to use a basic code editor?

If I was no good at coding and had to use one then defo Dreamweaver its way way better, front page is so out of date and has to be one of the worst WYSIWYG editors available.

But nothing beats learning to code properly and using a basic editor like Notepad++ or PHP designer7, way lighter programs for producing code and still have colour coded, auto end tag ect ect.

Then when you been coding for a while you will have your own template libary which you just use and edit to your needs for the specific job your doing to speed things up.

johneva, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @johneva - Exactly!

drhowarddrfine, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  16. chanif.alfath

chanif.alfath Active Member

Best Answers:
    no comment for this :D
    i rather use vim than both of that editor :p

chanif.alfath, Feb 11, 2011 IP