1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Algorithm

Discussion in 'Google' started by newtoadsense, Nov 24, 2010.

I know that the algorithm is the worlds best kept secret and I’m sure its probably several hundred pages long.

But has anyone ever made a crude or simple version of it? I come from a mathematical background and would be keen to see the basics of how it works?

newtoadsense, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  2. zoom

zoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Whatever is available is only speculation.

zoom, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The original version is available online in a pdf.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  4. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, use fulltext search on almost every single kind of database system, you will get a pretty nice result up to millions of pages

DoDo Me, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  5. freshginger

freshginger Peon

Best Answers:
    Would be good if an authority published their take on the algo.

freshginger, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  6. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    bogs, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  7. newtoadsense

newtoadsense Peon

Best Answers:
    well all we can do is speculate i suppose but i imagine that the current algorithm has evolved from the original.

newtoadsense, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  8. newtoadsense

newtoadsense Peon

Best Answers:
    if you wanted to test google for various factors to calculate the way it works you would need a collection of key words that has no results. you could then loaunch a few sites with variuous key words identified and see what and optimised in different ways, you would need a control to calculate from.

9. Lovely

Lovely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Any Algorithm that you find online is just speculate, I dont think the original Algorithm can be find anywhere on the web.

Lovely, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  10. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    Not only that but google claims to constantly be tweaking their algorithm. Even slight minimal adjustments sometimes can render different search results. If someone was tuned into technology I don't see how a similar or quality algorithm couldn't be achieved. I guess it is a matter of a good quality algorithm along with buying everything out there. Giving it away for free and then slapping ads on them so nobody can compete with you or very few. Then target the few and either run them out of business or buy them too and slap ads on them. Hard to believe google's entire world is based on advertising. They would be screwed if something happened to it, if it got hacked, or f'd up.

gameutopia, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  11. newtoadsense

newtoadsense Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm really interested in links and link weights,

a couple of examples are: what is better 10 PR1 links or 1 PR2 link?

i'm also interested in the OBL aspect: is 1 PR link with only 1 OBL better than 1PR2 link with 20OBL ?

maybe i'm a geek but this type of thing really interests me

12. charlesgan

charlesgan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    make the algorithm configurable, there is no absolute rating for all, especially when dealing with huge type/categories of content.
    IMO... 10pr1 should have more weight, more credential from many others.

charlesgan, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  13. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No one outside Google could give you the exact algorithm Google is using, especially in the term of "mathematical" you preferred.

Sxperm, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  14. newtoadsense

newtoadsense Peon

Best Answers:
    yea i probably agree it wouldbe interesting to know if anyone has any proof on this issue.

15. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    All of this is covered in one of the older PR documents here: http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

longcall911, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The original algorithm
    The complete dissertation is online, too. I have a copy but not the link.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  17. sandy121

sandy121 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am reading somewhere that Google Algorithm is based on deductions of 200 + signals and logarithmic functions of several factors .

sandy121, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  18. newtoadsense

newtoadsense Peon

Best Answers:
    So I decided to look at it very basically and work on the logic that PR increases exponentially, I also invent a unit which will be referred to as points or link juice points.

I have also made an assumption that a page keeps half of its link juice points for itself and donates half of it away to other links which share the link juice proportionately.

Therefore:
    Example A)
    A page has a page rank of 4 and has 4 OBL,
    Therefore the page keeps half its points and shares the remaining points between the 4 links, each link is worth 0.5 points,

Example B)
    A page has a page rank of 2 and has 40 OBL,
    Therefore the page keeps half its points and shares the remaining points between the 40 links, each link is worth 1/40th of a point,

Hey it may be absolute rubbish but I like to use it as a rough guide on where to focus my link building efforts, the other thing to note is that Page rank is only meant as a rough guide and has very little involvement in the actual process. I'm no expert and just did this to help myself but would welcom improvement or additions to this.

newtoadsense, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  19. infoman66

infoman66 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can not manually use the Google algorithm to compute the PR of the page. You need to have accurate information about the pages that take into consideration. The algorithm deals with mutual influence of several million pages on the web...
    Newtoadsense has been mentioned above the basic principle (expressed in points) is functioning as an algorithm (without entering additional parameters correlation) ...
    A more detailed explanation can be seen at the following address: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

infoman66, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  20. bombok

bombok Peon

Best Answers:
    guys... Google is nothing but a big balloon which sooner or later will blow..

ok back on topic..

google uses 100th of algorithms.. but not all at the same time.. or in other words they assign weighs to each algo.. and they rotate them constantly.. so even you find how their algorithms works, you wont find which wait they use at some given time...

so only insiders know how it works.. and only they can share it with their friends.. and those friends build sites which ranks high! and.. you now what next..;)

bombok, Nov 29, 2010 IP