1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hostgator - I asked the reason for Commission Reversal : NO REPLY FOR 24 days

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by herok, Nov 2, 2010.

I got 2 Hostgator Web Hosting sales in a row in early July 2010 and I was over the moon.
    Second one's sales date was July 12 and in early September it was cancelled after almost 2 months.

I contacted Cj for the reason,but they told me to contact Hostgator DIRECTLY.

I contacted Hostgator on Oct 9,17 and 27,but today on Nov 2 after 24 days NO REPLY.
    I am ok with cancelling as far as the reason is given.

0. Why did it take 2 month for Hostgator to cancel,though I know their lock in period seems 2 month longer than others?
    Why can't they cancel quickly?

1. What is your experience with Hostgator?
    Normally Did not they reply at all?
    Or
    If they reply,how long I have to wait for their reply?

2. I am thinking of directly contacting,using Hostgator's site contact form instead of using CJ's internal contact form.
    Should I contact them directly,though I am with CJ?

3. If you do not have this type of problem with Hostgator,what is your experience with other CJ advertisers in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

herok, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  2. MervinKoops

MervinKoops Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I've got a pretty positive opinion of Hostgator's affiliate program. I also promote them and have made quite a few sales - a few of them being reversed but a few have also been paid out too.

The main reason they seem to reverse is because of the user cancelling their hosting or not paying the latest bill. Their lock-in period is 60 days which is pretty fair for a web hosting company, some of the others I promote are 90 or even 120 days. This is obviously to stop paying commissions from sales lasting only a month.

I've never really tried contacting Hostgator about their affiliate program though so I can't help you with that. Overall, their affiliate program is pretty good in my opinion.

Thanks!

MervinKoops, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  3. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi! MervinKoops

Thank you for your reply to confirm that their lock in period is 60 days and give me other details.

I am not complaining the reversal and I just wanted the reason.
    Just after this Hostgator reversal I have another reversal of commission of MyHosting so I was very anxious.

To be fair One before this Hostator reversal was paid by Hostgator.
    You win some and lose some!!

Hostgator lock in period 60 days might be related to 45 days money back period.

FatCow paid my commission very quickly. I suspect their lock in period is 30 or 45 days.
    It might be due to shorter 30 days money back period.

Some time ago I directly contacted Hostgator regarding a different matter, using their site contact form and their answer came back instantly.
    So contacting advertisers using CJ internal form might have some issues in general.

Thank you very much. Have a nice day!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    herok, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  4. victorezeakum

victorezeakum Peon

Best Answers:
    Continue disturbing them and if possible call them on phone

victorezeakum, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  5. DWPRank

DWPRank Guest

Best Answers:
    I've been ignored by them in the past (or it took a really like time to get a response - I haven't used their program in a long time). I would try sending them another email.

A lot of people seem to sign up for the first month since it's basically free, and then they don't renew. Or they sign up and find a different host they want to use and cancel their service.

DWPRank, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  6. patchseo

patchseo Peon

Best Answers:
    60 days is way too long. Especially since there are a lot of hosting companies out there that have only 30 day lock period. I only advertise those kinds of companies, and would recommend you do the same. Just switch your HostGator affiliate for someone else.

patchseo, Nov 18, 2010 IP
  7. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your observation. So I am mentally prepared now for next cancellations !!

Thank you for your post.
    I just checked my recent transaction of MyHosting.
    CJ stats show that the transaction was dated on Oct 12 and locked in 30 days and Direcr transfer to my bank account was completed on Nov 17.
    Also iPage and Fatcow followed the same time schedule as MyHosting in the past.
    So I confirm it seems 30 day lock in is standard with CJ as you commented.
    Hostgator is too long.

herok, Nov 18, 2010 IP
  8. webtechnologies

webtechnologies Peon

Best Answers:
    Hostgator LOVES to "eat up the commission"......

webtechnologies, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  9. 2-4-K

2-4-K Peon

Best Answers:
    HG is one of the safest hosting companies, they do the odd reversal but usually it just because some dimwit at HG hit the wrong key, but mostly the honor all sales I find.

Most times for reversals is when a customer is late paying mth 2 & 3, and when this happens HG dont pay up.

2-4-K, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  10. muheedbaloch

muheedbaloch Peon

Best Answers:
    okay lets say if a customer signs up under me and buys monthly hosting then cancels the hosting plan the 2nd month will I still get paid because it does not say the customer has to stay for certain length of time.

muheedbaloch, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  11. articlelover

articlelover Guest

Best Answers:
    It is better to join web hosting affiliate programs directly through their website instead of joining them through commission junction.

articlelover, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  12. webtechnologies

webtechnologies Peon

Best Answers:
    They wont pay unless the customer stays for longer than 2 months,and has a valid domain pointed, and hosted.

webtechnologies, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  13. webtechnologies

webtechnologies Peon

Best Answers:
    Its is not, because they simply do the same thing.

webtechnologies, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  14. vision2003

vision2003 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think their CJ program is inactive. Stick with Hostgator's inhouse program - it's better anyway, because you can see what's happening to your commissions and why they might not pay you for some of them.

vision2003, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  15. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your comments.

I checked CJ and Hostgator's CJ program is still active,while you stated the other way.

I agree with you that it is easy to understand status details of your sale with Hostgator inhouse facility.
    I had a transaction with inhouse program(not CJ) last week and I can see the details of the status.
    Cj does not know indivisual transaction details of advertisers so when you have questions you have to directly approach advertisers.

herok, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  16. myclip

myclip Peon

Best Answers:
    CJ can not help you as it is only a platform where advertisers can handle sales, refund, reversal themselves. You need to get answers directly from your targeted advertisers. Only thing you need to do is to contact them and have a good websites and popularity to increase your opportunities to join them

myclip, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  17. nikvn

nikvn Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have great experience with Hostgator in house affiliate program so far. All active sign ups were paid properly. I always get proper response from Hostgator affiliate managers within 24 hrs.

Cancellation and no renew are the main reasons why we loose commissions. They cannot deny any commission if the domain is active and hosted with hostgator.

Once a domain is shown canceled in my affiliate account but on manual review, I realized that it was still hosted on Hostgator and was active. I contacted them and they paid that commission :)

nikvn, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  18. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    @myclip
    thank you for your post.
    I have alraedy an affiliate account with Hostgator inhouse program.
    @nikvin
    Thank you for your post.
    I recently had sale with Hostgator direct inhouse program and I can see all the current status.
    With Cj,there is no details there so I have to contact Hostgator directly.

herok, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  19. myclip

myclip Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of newbie bloggers signed up for one month free and cancel and hostgator never pays for that fraud and I will do the same. I do not think Hostgator is scam as I have made over 10k with it over last 2 years now and of course their inhouse aff program is much better with stats and status but the payrate for less than 5 sales is half of CJ

myclip, Dec 10, 2010 IP
  20. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    Re : Pay rate
    I am aware that pay rate of Hosgator inhouse program is half CJ's If You sell Hostgator less than 5 times per month.
    I am a quite newbie,having started IM 8 months ago and I am not making 5 sales per month so I am currently using CJ as a main program and HG inhouse as supplementary one.

herok, Dec 10, 2010 IP