1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS compatibility in every browser

Discussion in 'CSS' started by neemoil, Nov 23, 2010.

I have tried to develop my web design knowledge in using CSS but i couldn't able to make browser compatibility,plz anyone guide me how to make browser compatibility for CSS layout.

neemoil, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  2. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    How? I do not see any CSS/(X)HTML of your website.

Why don't you show us your site's URL?

CSM, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Whenever anyone talks about "cross browser compatibility" they mean one of two things: 1) It doesn't work in IE or 2) they developed it in inept, incompetent IE and it doesn't now work in the other far more modern browsers and they can't figure out why.

drhowarddrfine, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  4. CSM

CSM Active Member

Best Answers:
    LOL

if (browser == IE) { CSS(pain); } else { CSS(fun); }

CSM, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  5. radiant_luv

radiant_luv Peon

Best Answers:
    Inefficiency of IE cause a lot pain. However important is to make sure you have semantic code, follow w3c standard, use doctype, validate.

radiant_luv, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  6. anjaneya

anjaneya Peon

Best Answers:
    Guess what, you'll have a harder time dealing with Google Chrome fixes; especially image alignment probs-- IE isn't that bad

anjaneya, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  7. WebPageMistakes

WebPageMistakes Active Member

Best Answers:
    First step is to check your HTML coding with the HTML Validator at W3C (the people who write the specs everyone is supposed to follow (but some don't)). validator.w3.org/

This eliminates your (X)HTML coding as the problem.

Each browser interprets the HTML elements in the HTML specifications differently. e.g. Spacing around elements

Next, don't rely on browser specific CSS styles. Check your CSS with the W3C CSS validator. jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ If you want to use a browser specific style are you willing for it to fail in the other browsers. i.e. will it degrade gracefully?

If you keep things simple then you should be able to create a cross-browser compatible design without hacks or browser specific stylesheets.

WebPageMistakes, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  8. wewanttraffic.com

wewanttraffic.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Webpagesmistakes response. You should code your CSS in a way that can be validated and then you can get most of it.

wewanttraffic.com, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  9. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow here's a novel approach. Code it correctly in the first place.

Here's another novel idea. Sense most of the world uses ie wouldn't seem like a good idea to code to that standard first and then adjust where needed to accommodate other browsers.

Every machine sold in every Walmart, Best Buy, etc come with ie and most people don't even know how to set up their email so they use what comes on the machine when they buy it "ie".

Bitching about ie is like complaining that it's cold in the winter. It's just the shape of the world, get used to it.

ronc0011, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  10. workingsmart

workingsmart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Wow... That's an extremely ignorant statement on top of the ridiculous trip up of your own words..

You say...
    Then you say
    That's a contradiction to your "Code it correctly in the first place" statement...

Code for modern browsers first, then fix for IE because modern browsers are standards compliant and IE is a piece of crap, period!

Oh, and read this ==> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Might give you an idea of how your contradicting statements and opinions could be "misleading"....

Cheers!~

workingsmart, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @workingsmart +1

drhowarddrfine, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  12. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:

Having worked in the I.T. industry since Windows 98 I'm quite familiar with what you find in the real world. I still get calls from people using 98. Of course I tell them they need to get a new computer but the point is they are out there.

It's also typical for techy types to have this condescending attitude towards everyone else. Not sure what that stems from. Maybe it's imparted from their instructors. In any event I have found it to be true in virtually every aspect of the industry though mostly among people who are fresh out of school or just plan young. People who have been in this business for any length of time understand that the average user isn't interested in knowing anything about the tech side of things.

As for your reference, maybe if you had read the whole thing you would have found this.

W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

So yes ie is by far the most prevalent browser in use by the web surfing public. Just because you are up on all the nitty gritty bleeding edge info regarding browsers and standards doesn't mean the rest of the world is or even cares. All they care about is whether the page you code up displays in the browser they are using. Which is in all likely hood ie.

13. workingsmart

Best Answers:
    @ronc0011 -

I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you here nor am I condescending to anyone, really I'm not! :) I'm a Happy go lucky web developer that likes accurate information for all :)

"Real World Experience" depends on where in the REAL WORLD you are!... I, for example, live & work in NYC - where IE is hardly a blip on the radar anymore with Mac networks taking over each corner of Manhattan like wildfire, except for the financial district where they all use IE/FireFox....

Regardless, the point of how many users have IE as their default browser is moot.... The point is that IE renders markup and css incorrectly therefore you code correctly and fix for IE... ( oh and yes, I've read the whole thing MANY times )

And the point of the "rest of the world caring about standards and browser" ==> You are right, they don't care and don't have to care because programmers like ME care.

People don't have to be "techie" or care about it... So long as it works and works right!
    That is the point.... It working right!

Just like the engineer that created your car! ===> Hell, you don't care how the car goes, you put your foot on the gas and it goes... BUT what if the engineer didn't care about that left turn you want to make?... hmm...

Oh and since you are spitting out experience and "assuming" that the rest of us don't seem to have "real world experience"

I have 17 years as an IT tech with my Computer Science degree as well as my A+, NET+, MSA, MSDBA, MCSE, MCDST, and CCNA along with 13 other certifications as well as my REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. - I've worked for Financial firms, Department of Education and myself for the last 6 years.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @workingsmart +1

The W3C votes on what is in HTML and CSS. The spec is written and approved by the members. One of the authors of the spec is....Microsoft. Microsoft (now) is pushing for web authors to follow the W3C standard. @ronc0011 is saying, instead, we should follow IE which is the most non-compliant browser on the planet.

Following standards, rather than one company's implementation, means you know all the parts will fit together now and in the future. Just as it's true with screws, electricity and roads. Microsoft learned their lesson as they've lost almost half their market share by NOT following the standard. This is why Firefox, and now Chrome, are gaining prominence and now hold almost half of that market.

The web is owned by no company, particularly Microsoft. So to work on the public web, just like the public roads, you have to follow the rules of the road. The W3C currently specifies those rules. If you want interoperability on the web, follow the rules!

Right now, the most "rule following" (standards compliant) browsers are anything BUT IE. Using IE as a reference for how things should work is ALWAYS a recipe for disaster.

15. workingsmart

Best Answers:
    @drhowarddrfine +2 :) Kudos to that...!

16. ronc0011

ronc0011 Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys have me saying things I'm not. What I am saying is if ie is the most widely used browser out there then regardless of what the standards are you would do well to make sure your code works well in ie. sense it is well over half of your audience. You can dress it up and paint it any color you like but the numbers are what they are. You won't rationalize them away no matter how hard you talk it up.

I've been watching the whole standards thing evolve for the past ten years and at best it's a work in progress though it is finally starting to acquire a more authoritative standing. The fact still remains you are having to write for many different browsers and many different versions of each browser. Each version supporting a different version of the standards. In many respects the browser wars is a lot like the VHS vs Bata thing or DDR vs RAMBUS memory. what becomes standard depends a lot on the companies backing them and the associated cost.

I understand lots of people love to hate Microsoft but it doesn't change the fact that the world still runs on Windows. There was a time when macs had a speed advantage but those days are gone. The mac today is just another OS and in most cases is running an Intel processor.

Also due to the ever advancing state of technology I strongly suspect that the standards will always be several steps behind and it will be companies like Microsoft who are pushing the bleeding edge of the technology. So they will always be in front of the standards.

Bitchin about ie or Microsoft is about the same as pissin into the wind.

17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely.
    since is spelled s-i-n-c-e.
    Absolutely false!
    Absolutely false! There is only ONE standard.
    Absolutely false!

While bending to the will of Microsoft and IE, you are ignoring the other half of the web. Every other browser. You are also ignoring what I said before "Microsoft has lost half it's market share due to its ignoring of the standard". Just six years ago, IE held 95% share! Now it's just under 60%.

The only browser that has multiple versions of itself is IE. While some do cater to "one version back" of FF sometimes, generally that's only for a short period of time while some of you cater to IE6/7/8/compatibility mode/document mode which is equivalent to 32 versions of IE. (Absolutely stupid!)

We do NOT write code to a browser! We code to standards and test in the most standards compliant browser! Coding to IE is coding to a bug. Using a modern browser virtually assures most, if not all, of your markup will work in ALL browsers (sometimes even IE!). Coding to IE almost guarantees your markup will NOT work in any other browser.
    The internet runs on *nix/BSD but the internet platform has no OS. Whatever flak Microsoft gets, they did it to themselves and deserve it.
    And also running Unix.
    Microsoft is 12 years behind all other browsers in modern standards and compliance. Inept at best, it can't even do XHTML or SVG or other tech that's been around since 1999.

Standards are based on implementation, not inventions. Standards bodies rarely invent anything.
    I repeat. Bitchin' about IE has caused Microsoft to lose almost half it's share and caused the creation of IE7/8 and now IE9; all progressively closer to the other browsers (but IE9 will still be at least two years behind all the others).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  18. GWiz

GWiz Peon

Best Answers:
    You're all right! There, now move along!

GWiz, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Which makes you wrong.

20. workingsmart

Best Answers:
    Just to clear it up... I'm not bitchin about Microsoft... It is what it is and they are who they are... IE is just a pain in the ass, that's all...

The Good Doctor is 100% correct though... Thanks for the brief debate, was actually fun... :)

Cheers!~