1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo wants OwnerShip my domain Flickr.pk

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by soul-healer, Oct 4, 2006.

1. soul-healer

soul-healer Peon

Best Answers:
    I really honoured your opinions and i was wrong i shouldnt register that domain name.

To clear things when i registered the domain i wrote them about the situation as PKNIC said in the Press Release that Till 31 Decemeber 2005 they have given the time to Big Companines and Owners of Trademarks to Register their .pk domain names so in that period if some one didnt register that i thought that they wont need it. So i Register it and emailed them about this situation.

I am waiting for their email.

soul-healer, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  2. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kashif is right in domain selling process and if you try that yahoo can dispute it with icann. Yahoo can still dispute it with icann and get the domain back but it will cost them more then $1000 and hassle to do that and they can get the domain back. Now if you are only getting registeration fees back like $10 you should let them take legal action the most they can do is take the domain back and you will lose $10 however they cannot take YOU to court because you are in pakistan but in other situation you can make some extra bucks so i was you i would let them do whatever they want and not give the domain back volunteerily*** :D They will stop bitching after some time. Same happened to me and i didnt care and finally everything got laid in my trash can :D :D

jaree, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  3. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And do you really believe what happened to you will occur exactly the same way
    for the OP, jaree? Are you prepared to assume the OP's liability should things not
    turn out what you said for him/her?

Yahoo probably found something better and decided not to further pursue you.
    Good for you, but others might not have the same luck.

Dave Zan, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  4. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they can enforce international trademark laws....Icann will just yank the domain away from you if Yahoo files suit...you will have to pay defense fee's unless you pull a Kaiser Sose, which I doubt you will do if you own other domains.

regardless...the site you "put some much hard work into" are just some files you can put onto another site like www.isteeltrademarks.com and get it reindexed. Take the $6.95 they are offering...it is a good deal.

Monks, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  5. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    I would not talk about this here if I were you.

tyggemannen, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  6. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i totally agree that yahoo can take domain back from icann by taking legal action however they cannot do anything more then that since he is in Pakistan. You dont know how things work in Pakistan. Its like saying someone hacked my website and he was from afghanistan and i want to take legal action and go to afghanistan to take care of that matter. Yahoo cannot get you if you are in pakistan there are NO laws about internet in pakistan yet. I strongly suggest that he try to work out a solution however if he is not getting anything more then Reg fees then i think he should let them take it with hassle just my opinion. :D

jaree, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  7. xharrisonx

xharrisonx Peon

Best Answers:
    but why would yahoo SUE for a domain which costs like under 50.00 per year.

trying to sue wouldnt be wise for yahoo since they would have to PAY a lawyer way more than 50.00!!!

xharrisonx, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  8. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok, point taken. You are saying, if they are going to take it, make them go through the costly legal steps to do so. but that, because he is in a "stan" not the US, they can't come after him for anything else.

I can't say I agree...but your point is understood now.

Monks, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  9. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :D :D Yes and what is "stan" Should call Pakistani never heard of this stan word before :D

jaree, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  10. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    only said "stans" to refer to both Afganistan & Pakistan comment with out having to type both out...which i ended up just doing anyway... :)

Monks, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  11. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's their trademark, they'll win: you'll be lucky if you get a dime from them. Take the money, and learn from your mistake.

EGS, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  12. activeimedia

activeimedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    fight the power

activeimedia, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  13. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They should get a rap song going entitled:
    It would probably be a huge success...

Monks, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  14. activeimedia

activeimedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    we could make millions

activeimedia, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  15. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know the law in pakistan, but I believe they do have recourse under trademark law, which is almost universally recognized. This isn't about Internet law, but trademark infringement. In all likelyhood, yahoo isn't going to worry about trying recover a thousand dollars (but this is just a guess) - at worst, they would probably just turn the debt over to a collection agency. Infringement on a Federally registered trademark also allows them to recover treble their legal fees.

I am certain Yahoo will take steps to take the domain, especially if it ever has any content put on it, as they are required to protect their trademark. Yahoo has a team of attorneys on retainer and spending a thousand or two in fees is like the average person spending 5 cents - it is nothing to them and certainly isn't going to deter them from taking action. I'm not sure why anyone would want to "stick it" to someone just because someone infringed upon their trademark that they spent a lot of money on?

mjewel, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  16. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are correct. Since both Pakistan and United States are WTO members (which WIPO is a sub) they [Yahoo] can reach out and touch him through international treaties.

fathom, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  17. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    Your domain is screwed either way, just give it to them. Tell them that you are upset about it, and ask them for a few quid to cover the costs, but DONT sell it to them, because this just doesnt buy these days.

Rob

Robert Allen, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  18. soul-healer

soul-healer Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you are right. i am working with them to solve this issue.

soul-healer, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  19. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you live in Pakistan I wouldn't give up the domain anyway.

If they want to go through the trouble of law to retrieve the domain name let them do it, they will lose more.

What you want to do is send the offer to main email (beside the legal size, since the legal side want to make more money going to court).

Tell them they either pay you $500 or take the domain through court, the choice is their.

Peace,

Barti1987, Oct 8, 2006 IP
    jaree likes this.
  20. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, Now those who are thinking WTF :D you guys dont know how it works in pakistan. There are NO laws regarding internet and judge will laugh at yahoo if they do take someone to court about a domain name :D
    Also why would yahoo care so much about flickr they have got better things to do :D :D

jaree, Oct 8, 2006 IP