1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you a quality writer?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by dyadvisor, Aug 18, 2010.

ARE YOU A QUALITY WRITER?

Quality Writers use varying techniques to write “high quality”. I of course encourage quality writing, and for the sake of the business promote it. Right now, for the buyers: content/article writers and used car salespeople fall into a similar class. Many do not trust writers. I will be writing a couple articles and a Forum post on this subject, and want to get personal viewpoints.

This is not a slamming post, nor for those who charge $5.00 or under for quality writing.
    There is no right, no wrong. If you disagree just make your only statements, instead of knocking another.

Just post you answer below, some worthy buyers might see it, and want to contact you.

So here is the question:
    Calling yourself a quality writer, take a purchaser's view, tell your concept of quality and how in turn that benefits the potential purchaser of your service.

Take enough space to make your points clear.

------------------------thanks for sharing, and have a great day--------------------

dyadvisor, Aug 18, 2010 IP
    EmpowerMedia likes this.
  2. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to me a quality writer should be able to:

Assess the requirements of his client and deliver work to their satisfaction within the stipulated time schedule.

If the client is making a mistake (improper key-phrase suggestion, like singular instead of plural or vice versa), discuss the same with him/her in such a manner that they do not feel as if their rights are being infringed. In fact, you should explain it in such a way, that they feel that they have been rewarded with something extra.

Research the topic thoroughly before writing it. Once complete, recheck the article after some time to confirm that there are no mistakes. If there are, rectify them.

Ensure that the article that you are writing appeals to them whom your client is targeting. If not, the very purpose of writing would be wasted. Writing a fine article is good. Writing a fine article that captures the attention of the readers is better. Writing in such a manner that the article that captures the attention of the readers as well as that of Ms. Google is best.

Do not right click on a word and select a synonym. That new word might be understood by those whose mother tongue is English, but there are many people who do not know English so well... why leave them out?

Thanks dyadvisor for giving me an opportunity to express myself. I know that this is not enough, but this is all that I could think up at the moment.

parsibagan, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  3. CharlieHash

CharlieHash Peon

Best Answers:
    parsibagan has given all the information of quality writer, thanks parsibagan

CharlieHash, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  4. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot CharlielHash, for your kind words. :)

parsibagan, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  5. Mrracefan

Mrracefan Peon

Best Answers:
    I am glad i found this post. It confirmed what i just read and implemented on a on old website that had traffic but no clicks, by changing the copy i have managed to get clicks almost daily. Great post dyadvisor

Mrracefan, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  6. EmpowerMedia

EmpowerMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    I would agree with you, @dyadvisor, that more and more buyers are hesitant to trust content writers, and I understand a lot of that as well. I think it has a lot to do with two major factors. For one, there is an immense amount of opportunity on the web, and that is appealing to a wide variety of people. In my experience, any time that there is a lot of "opportunity" for income or profits, there is also a large number of people who look to take advantage of that any way that they can. Far too many people think that ANYONE can write content and make a living by writing for the web. While this may be true to an extent, for the average person, it still requires a great deal of practice, training, and knowledge. Another factor here is the emerging global economy that has evolved as the direct result of increases in technology. There are now content providers and freelancers from all over the world that are looking to make money from home, and content writing is a promising venue. However, in some countries of the world, cultural precepts and variations in education levels also have an impact on morality as well as standards of quality. I don't want to point to any specific countries, but scammers can come from ANYWHERE. There is this preconceived notion that native English speakers and writers are somehow superior to other content providers, but this is not always the case. As with any type of business transaction, there is always a risk involved, but the most reputable writers and content providers will have the work history to back up their claims. In my opinion, an online writing portfolio with links to other published works is one of the best ways to prove to buyers that you can deliver on what you promise, as well as articulating clearly in all communications to your buyer.

With regards to quality as a definition, I feel that this is such an openly subjective term. In reality, quality can only be defined by the buyer. However, when I say that my articles are of "high-quality," I generally mean that they are written in fluent English with proper sentence structure and vocabulary, that they are 100% unique, not generated by article spinning software, consist of research related to the subject matter, and offer something of value to the reader. SEO is also important, and most of my articles are also keyword-optimized to specification, but since every content buyer has different needs, keyword density and placement is not directly an element of "quality" per se.

EmpowerMedia, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  7. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    EmpowerMedia, very well stated!

My only addition would be to say that keyword density and placement are a factor of quality. There is no need to write a quality article and have no one see it. My ability to consistently get top ten keyword phrases for search terms was giving the client quality. To the client quality means plenty of the right visitors that go to the website. Traffic direct from a search engine search phrase averages around 15% conversion. The conversion delivered from the article website browsing is about 10%. From cheap articles it is usually 4% or less. Plus a high quality article can easily get 2,000 reads, where a cheapo struggles to get 400.

This is why buyers of cheap articles are losing money.

dyadvisor, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  8. EmpowerMedia

EmpowerMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks @dyadvisor!

I am not saying that keyword density isn't essential. When it comes to writing web content, having content that is keyword-optimized is imperative to the success of the business or site on the whole. However, what I meant is that keyword density is a trait of an article that is independent of "quality." Ideally, articles written for the web should both be of quality and contain appropriate keyword density. I write for both print publications and the web, which requires being adept at two very different styles. This is perhaps the reason why I tend to think of quality and keyword density as two separate elements of a great article.

I noticed in this thread that there are many others that are answering this question with regards to what makes a quality writer. I answered it instead in terms of what constitutes a quality article. However, a quality writer would be one that writes high-quality content consistently. Other aspects of being a quality writer would be the ability to communicate effectively with buyers regarding projects and content and the ability to meet deadlines.

EmpowerMedia, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  9. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Quality writers should write

instead of

omarabid, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  10. EmpowerMedia

EmpowerMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Omarabid, was that in reference to a post here, or where you just making a general statement? Even "quality writers" do not always have perfect grammar and punctuation, especially when making casual conversation. One important trait of polished writing, however, is that it is checked over a number of times before submitting it or presenting it to a buyer. Having text that consists of appropriate use of the English language is wonderful, but nobody like a grammar Nazi.

EmpowerMedia, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  11. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No intentions on that post. But I think it's something interesting to discuss. If you were joining a discussion with experts on the field, wouldn't make use of all your energy, experience and skills to communicate with them?

omarabid, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  12. EmpowerMedia

EmpowerMedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely, and I strive to whenever possible. However, it is also important to remember that people are not perfect, especially not writers. Mistakes can and do happen. Establishing yourself as a professional in the field and being competitive with other freelance writers is one thing, but flaming them is something else entirely. I believe that a professional attitude and common courtesy go a lot further than attempting to demonstrate your proficiency in the English language by correcting others.

EmpowerMedia, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  13. nifty87

nifty87 Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't happen often but i see myself agreeing to everything that is said above. But since i talk too much, i am going to put in my views as well.
    What i do when i am asked to write a QUALITY article is type in the keyword on google and any other related word i can think of. Get as much content as i can. After that i give it a read, so i know, what it is about?, what people generally ask about?, what people usually write about?, what people don't write about? Once i have an overview of things, i try to understand what the client wants because when a client is paying to get quality work he wants specific things, you can't write everything you come across just to reach stipulated word count.
    Then i read it again and start writing and once i have completed the article, i leave it for some time which usually depends on how much time is left with me and during this time i try not to think about it, (which is difficult for me but i am going to tell it anyway). I read it the last time to make improvements and trust me it does improve substantially after this read because this time i read it not as the writer but as a reader, who knows about the subject, so, i fill in any lacuna there is and THE FINAL PRODUCT IS READY.
    I hope i was of some help!!

nifty87, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  14. Asif Mumtaz

Asif Mumtaz Member

Best Answers:
    I think you guys have already summed it up. It's all about intelligent research, proper understanding of the topic and proper structure of the content. On top of all these things, your master piece would always follow the instructions given by the client. You'll have to know what the client wants the content for. This will help you with the pitch of the article/blog post/web content.

Generally, people do not push readers when writing web content. That is a wrong approach. You should always look at the website and ask the client what he wants from the clients reading the content. That's the most important thing in copy-writing and it will take your content from 'ordinary' to 'exceptional'.

Another trick that most of the copy-writers often miss, is proper understanding of the target market. If you know nothing about the market, then you will never be able to write compelling content be it descriptive in nature.

I think all the copy-writers, content and article writers should develop adequate SEO skills in order to write better. With the knowledge of optimization, they will be able to fine tune their writing and will deliver the real QUALITY CONTENT.

Asif Mumtaz, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  15. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Asif Mumtaz: Welcome to DP and thanks for your informative post. :)

parsibagan, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  16. premiumwriting

premiumwriting Peon

Best Answers:
    Parsibagan summed it up pretty well in his first post. However, I also wanted to mention pre-selling. Beyond just 'catching attention,' pre-selling is the art of putting the reader in such a state where she becomes open to the idea of buying from the website she is reading. This is an incredibly valuable skill to have, and it's one of the major factors setting the best writers apart from the ones who are 'just alright.'

premiumwriting, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  17. vna1611

vna1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A real writer, would never be concerned about answering this!!!

vna1611, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  18. Asif Mumtaz

Asif Mumtaz Member

Best Answers:
    How would you justify your conclusion?

Asif Mumtaz, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  19. vna1611

vna1611 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i have no need to justify anything!
    think what you want!!!!

vna1611, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  20. anuragwebworld

anuragwebworld Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi friends,

Quality writing is really very effective tool to make your content more valuable.

Content generation may be an easy task, but generating effective and quality content are important for promotion your company products and services.
    You should have good marketing skills and knowledge to be an effective quality writer. Use small sentences and positive thinking in your language. Make your content to the point. Most of the copywriter generate a bulk of content, but it is of no use if having no users interest. Excellent communication and writing skills are necessary for making quality content.

anuragwebworld, Nov 17, 2010 IP