1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Impressions from "Content Network" Much Higher Than "Search Network" NORMAL?

Discussion in 'Bing Ads' started by herok, Nov 7, 2010.

I made a mistake with Thread Titile..
    Correct Thread Title is - Impressions from "Search Network" Much Higher Than "Content Network" NORMAL? -

I am an ex Yahoo SEM user who recently migrated to Adcenter account a week ago.

WHEN DEFAULT MAXIMUM BIDS for "Search Network" & "Content Network" ARE SET THE SAME PRICE,The number of Impressions from "Search Network" that I am receiving is much higher than that from "Content Network" and I am currently getting most of clicks from "Search Network"

When I was with Yahoo,IT WAS THE OPPOSITE so many clicks were from "Content Network" when Max Bid prices were the same.

If this is Adcenter Charactor,I have to adjust.

Could someone please post me if this is normal for Adcenter?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    herok, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  2. Natively

Natively Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason is probably Yahoo's "Search Partners", which were inserted through the Yahoo-Bing transition.

On AdCenter there are now 6 networks (post-transition):

Bing Search
    Bing Content
    Bing Search Partners
    Yahoo Search
    Yahoo Content
    Yahoo Search Partners

Each of the 6 networks behave differently in terms of CTR, Impressions Volume and CPC (excluding Bing Search and Yahoo Search which are generally quite similar)

AdCenter doesn't give you the opportunity to separate Bing and Yahoo traffic, but you can separate Search, Content and Search Partners through Ad Group settings.
    It's recommended you start with Search ("Only Bing and Yahoo! websites" on each Ad Group's settings), and create separate ad groups/campaigns for the 2 remaining types on traffic (Search Partners and Content).

The highest quality lies in "Only Bing and Yahoo! websites".
    Most chances you'll find that the other networks are poor-performing and therefore require much lower bids.

Good luck

Natively, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  3. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi! Natively
    Thank you for taking your time to reply.

My experience says that PPC Google Adwors is the highest,MS Adcenter the middle and Yahoo lowest.

I tested below before.
    I set max Default Auto bids $0.4 the Same for "search" and ""contenet" for a web hosting service campaign for both Google adwords and Yaahoo.
    Google Adwords and Yahoo had the same trend of Impressions of "Content" disproportionately higher than those of "Search".
    As Adwords are more expensive than Yahoo so I rarely got clicks from "Search" or "Content" from adword,but I got clicks from Yahoo mostly from "content"

You think Yahoo content partners are poor quality so PPC is low and impressios are high for "content".
    So if that is the case Adwords Contents partners will be poor as well,resulting from my observation above.

You might be right.
    I remember that an Italian obscure site was listed as a partner of Adword and I was wondering the relevancy of the site as I visited and checked the site where my ad was placed.
    Sorry no offence to Italian people!.
    I remember a lot of Adword partner sites like this were listed all over the world,not limited to Italy.

So Adcenter Parteners are not low quality compared to Google and Yahoo?
    When max Default Auto bid prices are set the Same for "search" and ""contenet",THat is why Adcenter's Impressions of "Search" are higher than those of "Content" COMPLTE OPPOSITE Yahoo and Google trend?

I have been with Adcenter only for a week so I have to take time to invetigate Adcenter.
    What I commented here might be wrong.

I found the setting below and currently I chose search item 1.1 and Contenet item 2,but as suggested by you I will have to experiment to choose 1.2 Only Bing and Yahoo! websites for "Search"
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    1.Search network
    Yahoo! search networks and Yahoo! syndicated search partners are currently available only in U.S. and Canadian markets.
    1.1 All Bing and Yahoo! search networks and syndicated search partners
    1.2 Only Bing and Yahoo! websites
    1.3 Only Bing and Yahoo! syndicated search partners

You can only choose one out of above three 1.1 1.2 and 1.3
    2. Content network
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    herok, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  4. Natively

Natively Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's a whole Click Fraud industry, for which the Italian site you've mentioned might be an example.
    In my experience Google tries harder to block such sites, but even their success is limited, and any advertiser should keep an eye open on his traffic all the time (through DB logs, PPC platform reports etc).
    Yahoo seems less eager to block suspicious websites - any guess why? :mad:
    Instead they reduce the CPC for such "partners", and what surprised me the most is that Microsoft, once absorbed Yahoo's traffic, is doing the same thing!

Here's a small example (from Yahoo's platform RIP) of 2 search partners who are actually the same one:
    http://dateandmeetsinglepeople.net/
    http://datetruesingles.net/
    You might have guessed how much revenue they've contributed to my campaign...

So when you're targeting "All Bing and Yahoo! search networks and syndicated search partners " you get many impressions, lower CPCs and relatively poor results.
    Then you reduce your bids and by doing so you're actually filtering-out the quality traffic.

Buttom line: start with the highest quality traffic, and only then consider expanding to "syndicated search" and content.

Natively, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  5. herok

herok Guest

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your VERY insightful post.
    This might mean in the future Adcenter follows the trend of Google Adwords and Old Yahoo SEM i.e Impressions of "Content" disproportionately higher than those of "Search" when max Default Auto bid prices are set the Same for "search" and ""contenet".

Just I add one thing.
    In case of Google Content partners,Google shows you Google content partener site names and Urls where your ads are placed as part of their statistics.
    But Yahoo did not tell me names or Urls of Yahoo Content partenership sites where my ads appeared and Adcenter seems to be the same as Yahoo.

I would appreciate if you could post again in reply to my questions in the future as you seem to have deep insights !?

herok, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  6. Natively

Natively Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but take into consideration that I learned the insightful facts simply by losing a lot of advertising dollars...

Back on YSM there was a (somewhat hidden) report called "Ad Delivery Report", which showed performance per partner site. The "block site" feature was well hidden in the account's settings. But that's history.
    Now the important hidden feature, on AdCenter, is that "Ad distribution" you've mentioned.

The reason that you saw less content impressions on Bing's AdCenter is that their content network was very small, compared to both Yahoo and Google.

As for Google they have nice features for Content advertising - for instance:

http://www.portentinteractive.com/blog/google-adwords-remarketing.htm

Natively, Nov 10, 2010 IP