1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there any money on running a forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by KaiContent, Nov 2, 2010.

Hi,

I have had a slight interest in starting a forum but I am not sure if it is worth it. I would only do it if it meant earning income. Is this possible? What are your hints and tips for starting a forum? What kind of forum? What should I spend on a forum? How can I earn from one?

KaiContent, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If your intent is to make money when starting a forum, you probably will be disappointed and the forum will most likely fail before long.

Compared to other site types, forums do not make much money unless you are one of the largest in the industry you target.

digitalpoint, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  3. RidinHighSpeeds

RidinHighSpeeds Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll have to agree with Shawn. You can certainly make some money, but with years of hard work and investment. As soon as your forum picks up, you'll have to dish out some more money for your server.

But then again look at Digital Point... If you can come up with a good discussion forum that people will want to come back to, then you will have something to work with. If it gets really busy, then you can start earning yourself some revenue. You really need a niche to compete with what is out there on the web these days in order to make some money. ;)

My web site does well, but there is my competition and I'm always having to come up with something "new" to attract more visitors.

RidinHighSpeeds, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  4. victorezeakum

victorezeakum Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with shawn. I have had the expereince. I was getting over 5000 visitors online and was still unable to make upto $2.00 with my forum. I was indeed disappointed. The best thing is to do it with passion and forget about the money aspect.

victorezeakum, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  5. truejeff

truejeff Peon

Best Answers:
    you do not make money directly.. but you make traffic.. it up to you how you are going to convert the traffic into money.
    However your forum would need a good niche and you need a lot of passion and time for it to survive.

truejeff, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  6. d3wlin

d3wlin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a lot of fun in running a forum, and I think that most people start one because of pure passion in the topic. Of course, it's always nice to receive some money by doing what you like.

I agree that there are other types of websites that are good for earning money.

d3wlin, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  7. KaiContent

KaiContent Member

Best Answers:
    Well I am not sure I have enough time to fully run a forum that will not produce income. Thanks for everyone's input. I think I will not go into forums.

KaiContent, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  8. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    make the forum just follow the nich you like , so you can drive some traffic in . then change it to money .

fokerss, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  9. crazyspider

crazyspider Peon

Best Answers:
    forum posting is easiest way to increase traffic on yuor site. so used it properly it will works.

crazyspider, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  10. rain21

rain21 Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can earn, I do a forum as a blog... there are many forumers they do their forums as blogs !!! if u have traffic, you can make money, thats all

rain21, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  11. sheldon365

sheldon365 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i too am really upset about not making any money from my forum. i want to find out better methods or else it will just be another website forum which will die out after some time.

sheldon365, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  12. weblineindia

weblineindia Peon

Best Answers:
    if you are working hard in your forum without hoping for money, i am sure you will be a big one in your industry and you will see the success for sure.

weblineindia, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  13. emforce

emforce Member

Best Answers:
    I don't get it how can you not just slap on some cpm ads and earn money from that? I mean 5000 visitors a day and only $2? And what about using a big host like justhost or something like that rather than going through all the trouble to get your own servers?

emforce, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  14. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Complete fail on your part then. Forums can be huge earners but you do have to be a big forum first. Small forums only make $xx a month but a forum in Alexa top 10k should make thousands per month. Getting there can very difficult for a newbie.

Start a forum in a subject you're knowledgeable in. Don't worry about making money at all. Focus on making strong content and active forum first.

RectangleMan, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  15. jasedona

jasedona Peon

Best Answers:
    There is definitely money in running a forum, but like the people who posted before me, it really should be a labor of love. There are easier ways to get money than running a forum, if you're looking for a quick buck.

jasedona, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  16. blackvps

blackvps Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a forum which get's 12K unique visitors a day and does not seem to be in the Alexa top 10K as well (I know Alexa isn't really accurate ;-))
    I'm still trying to find any decent advertiser that can make me more then $2 a day and pays via paypal.

blackvps, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  17. BeoR

BeoR Active Member

Best Answers:
    Running a forum with the intent of making money will never work out. Don't think about money when you run a forum, the money will just come.

BeoR, Dec 15, 2010 IP
  18. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    start a forum need a hard work on it , maybe it cant get traffic over night but for long term is good .just need to be hard work and dont give up

fokerss, Dec 15, 2010 IP
  19. AcevedoAaron

AcevedoAaron Peon

Best Answers:
    yes you can use adsense and other advertisement system also try to find some sponsor so you will get credited .also you can serve packages for user Like GOLD SILVER AND other you want..my its al help able and earningable

AcevedoAaron, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  20. gamblinglord

gamblinglord Peon

Best Answers:
    yes there is money in forums but then it would take time, it would not be easy but then i tell you the journey is worth it once you hit your mark.

gamblinglord, Dec 21, 2010 IP