1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Stopped Getting Crawled after Sitemap Added

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by JetteroHeller, Oct 2, 2006.

I just added a sitemap to a site, one that's honestly very small at only around 150 files to index. I added the sitemap the day before yesterday, and then watched my logs. Previously, I would get on average 15-20 hits per day from Googlebot in its various forms. Yesterday, all crawler traffic stopped except for Googlebot's getting the sitemap.xml file, which it pulled.

I tried updating the files and updating the sitemap 6 times yesterday, and each time it only grabbed the sitemap, and grabbed no other files.

The only variance from this is one "HEAD" bot, which did a HEAD of the index file, but other than that, nothing.

Anyone have ideas?

JetteroHeller, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  2. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    What program did you use to create the sitemap?

Download and install GsiteCrawler, it works like a bot and will report back any crawl problems giving you a better look at your site. You can also use the program to create a sitemap.xml file.

cormac, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  3. grs123

grs123 Member

Best Answers:
    I read something like this happening to many people on google groups

grs123, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I have just noticed the same thing to one of my large sites in the last few days

I have a site with 4000 pages , PR5, gets thousands of hits a day from google.

Yet, Now that I have uploaded a xml sitemap about 3 weeks ago the bots stopped coming.

The sitemap all works, cause at google/sitemaps, it shows all my results, says status ok, and so fourth

I have 3980 pages indexed as well.

So yea....Kinda weird that the bots stoped

I also have 1,180 backlinks so I know that googleknows where I am , the site is also 2 years old....

I wonder why .....

sundaybrew, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  5. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    When is the last date of the bot crawl? I am looking at a site that hasnt been crawled in 5 days and has a sitemap attached.

cormac, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  6. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    My last crawl was around the 27th of Sept

7. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Im seeing two sites with the 29th as the last crawl and both sitemaps have been updated and submitted since then.

I wonder if there is a stall due to the Google update.

cormac, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  8. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I just checked my sitemaps.

Last downloaded : 14 hours ago

Cache date :as retrieved on Oct 3, 2006 23:22:53 GMT.

So looks like it just refreshed itself....

9. minnseoelite

minnseoelite Peon

Best Answers:
    After submitting your sitemap if Google sees that it has crawled all pages in the sitemap it will slow down and only make occasional crawls to see if you have added new content.

minnseoelite, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  10. grs123

grs123 Member

Best Answers:
    So would you say its better not to add a sitemap? Thats the conclusion I came too after reading many stories on google groups

grs123, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  11. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Can you linik me to some of those google groups.

I am interested in reading as well

12. cormac

cormac Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is one example but I would suspect its more of the sandbox working as the example is on a new site. There are many discussions regarding sites dropping from the index after attaching a sitemap, even on DP.

What I do suspect is that if there are any issues with your site, no matter how small, Google Sitemaps will pick it up and bring chaos to the site.

I wouldn’t attach the sitemap.xml until the site is clean as whistle and to be honest I am not seeing any benefits of attaching a Google sitemap unless the site has thousands of pages.

Sundaybrew – my sitemap is being downloaded within a couple of hours of submitting but the bot is still sitting at the bus stop, still no crawl since Sept and no update on the Stats. Content has been added daily; the sitemap has been updated and submitted.

cormac, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  13. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I never do sitemaps since google bot is kind of doing good job by itself on all my sites .... I have bots visiting the same day or day after domain is registered and website is up and it gets indexed within a week.... so no sitemap here

iatbm, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  14. niceboy

niceboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i had the same problem too earlier, but i tried a html sitemap and now google is indexing my pages.

niceboy, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  15. Tugeza

Tugeza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You mihgt find answer to your question if you pay attention to such a thing as update frequency that can vary in your sitemap. In the tool you are using to generate .xml sitemap you can adjust your site's update frequency as well as importace of separate pages WITHIN the site (0.1 - 1.0). These two moments will certainly influence hoe often your site is crawled. Check it out by yourself!

Tugeza, Oct 12, 2006 IP