1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

keyword density

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by karrydee, Oct 25, 2010.

should i be particular about keyword density in my articles for better page rank for my site? what percentage of keyword density is ideal. when i started 3 years ago, i was sure to make it 5%. is this still applicable?

karrydee, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  2. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    You will get sooooooo many different answers, and you will never know for sure anyway.

Forget, forget, forget about keyword density!

As a copywriter, I have been asked on more than one occasion on keyword density, stuffing.

Like other reputable copywriters, I'll tell you the same thing I tell them. I will write the copy for the site (articles) in a natural way, without giving that much thought towards keywords.

Because the particular keyword for that particular page will be repeated at least three times naturally anyway.

That is more than sufficient.

Don't think so much on keywords but on backlinks, along with the age of the site.

Those are the two things that really ranks a site (page) high.

In most cases, it's the backlinks that ranks a site high.

This is why there really is no such thing as an "SEO copywriter."

For more, and so you know for a fact: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...ts+ng&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=cac716aade6fa416&pf=p

Read up on info straight from the source, Matt Cutts.

Who is he?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cutts

Just make sure it is updated info as Google sometimes changes things.

Don't make SEO complicated or confusing, because it really isn't.

Perry Rose, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  3. asharer

asharer Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO stuffs are very foggy!
    Trust yourself, trust your feeling.

asharer, Oct 25, 2010 IP
    Mystique likes this.
  4. Myfreelancedesign

Myfreelancedesign Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to write your articles in SEO friendly way keyword density should be at least 1.5 to 2% for whole article. I used to write the articles maintaining this much of keyword density. I have written many articles in Ezines, artclebase you can go through my article and check me. Search for Myfreelancedesign, paul bank etc

Myfreelancedesign, Oct 26, 2010 IP
  5. karrydee

karrydee Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for your replies. i did think my articles looked weird with the keywords repeated 13- 15 times. but perry rose is right, backlinks have more impact in page ranking. great tips from matt cutts, too. i guess a writer is a writer delivering free- flowing and creative content. a "seo writer" sounds paradoxical.

so, 1.5 to 2% is enough, thanks myfreelancedesign

that's true sharer, feelings make a good writer.

karrydee, Oct 26, 2010 IP
  6. workingaswriter

workingaswriter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Hi,

Depending on the word count - keyword density should be chosen.

To the best of my knowledge, for 500 words - 3%, 700-1000 - 5%

workingaswriter, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  7. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should not change your keyword density along with the size of the article. Using such a formula, you should have 0% keyword in a 100 words text. Do not push more than 2% and use it so that the flow of words is not hampered. Use terms related to the main keyword... this helps to get a better ranking with the search engines. If you were writing about detective story books, you could add the name Perry Mason. If you were writing about flowers, you could have included a red Rose. :)

parsibagan, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  8. JamesW2983

JamesW2983 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My advice would be to always write for the reader, and not the search engines.

As Perry has quite rightly pointed out - you will get various answers to this question, and if the truth be told, age and off-page SEO (backlinks) will have far more impact on a web page. Additionally, you are likely to naturally use the keyword a number of time throughout the article anyway.

You should also look at what the actual intention of your article is - in the majority of cases it should be to provide valuable information to your reader and also as a way of promotion. You may be promoting a product, a service, a landing page, a squeeze page, another website, etc.

A reader is far more likely to interested in what you have to say, and indeed what you have to offer, if the article provides value. Just because an article ranks high in the search engines and has thousands of views, does not automatically mean it is a "success".

A prime example of this may be an article that ranks in the top spot at Google, has thousands of views, but very few clickthrough rates. This is likely to occur if the article lacks quality. People can easily find the article, but after 10 seconds of reading it they find it makes no sense due to the overwhelming use of keywords. What do they do? They click the back button of course and find another article to read.

However, you have an article that provides quality and is easy and enjoyable to read, a visitor to this article is far more likely to want to read more of your content. You may also find that this type of article has a greater chance of being syndicated by other webmaster, thus more backlinks.

Cheers
    James

JamesW2983, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  9. soft4you

soft4you Peon

Best Answers:
    2% is better for google

soft4you, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  10. cjscully

cjscully Active Member

Best Answers:
    Content that is interesting and engaging trumps keyword density always.

cjscully, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  11. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Mystique, Oct 31, 2010 IP
  12. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    keep it somewhere between 3 and 5 percent to avoid triggering the spam filters, or falling off the relevancy scoring.

contentboss, Oct 31, 2010 IP
  13. karrydee

karrydee Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks. your replies have been helpful. i agree, james. value should be priority because that's what reader look for in the first place, so that's the best way to get them.

and mentioning the keywords does come naturally along the way. now i know i don't need to be so conscious about it.

have a nice day!

karrydee

karrydee, Nov 1, 2010 IP
  14. premiumuser

premiumuser Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree on backlins htey are far more powerful, just make sure you dont use the same keywords when linking back to your own site in the same post as only one unique keyword will be counted by Google.

premiumuser, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  15. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the link to that tool..im going to use it on some articles i have now

templates, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  16. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    if you're using wordpress, there's a free version of seopressor at bloggerhigh.com - it is 'like having an seo expert sitting next to you' :)

contentboss, Nov 5, 2010 IP
  17. aldiyar1

aldiyar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Now it is 1-3%

aldiyar1, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  18. Virtual Employment

Virtual Employment Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality content is always important when it comes to content! You want to keep readers reading without making them feel like they are being sold something, so the more natural your keyword selection is the better. Most of the clients that I work with prefer a 1-3% density goal; so as not to sacrifice the quality of their content or tarnish their reputation as sales and spam. Hope that helps!

Virtual Employment, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  19. SamWayne

SamWayne Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! the people here is really amazing. I really learned a lot! thanks for this topic Karry :)

SamWayne, Nov 16, 2010 IP
  20. ovalencia

ovalencia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use 2-3% for 500+ words articles, it ranks well and fast on google

ovalencia, Nov 18, 2010 IP