1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What CMS would you use for a news site

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Remo, Jun 18, 2007.

1. dalt

dalt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go with joomla. It works well with news sites. I have just set up www.ecobites.com although this is a bit more of a magazine, it works as a new site as all the latest articles automatically publish to the front. Don't use ijoomla magazine - it is too cumbersome. I have used it on ecobites, but p*ssed it off.

Have a look at www.ecopunch.com - it isn't live yet, but I will make it live for you to look at. Ecopunch is using joomla 1.5 and I am waiting for a Digg type script to integrate with it before it is finished. Nothing un-newsworthy about this joomla site eh Claudex. Also, I don't think most members create CNN type newsites. They are a lot of work keeping them up-to-date. If you don't have a good business model and the resources, then don't do it.

dalt, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  2. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should note the age of this thread. My posts about Joomla were valid then. Joomla 1.5 was not out then as well.

Your site is good. As i've asked many times in this thread already, what particular mods/components etc are you using? Many so far have posted that "Joomla is the best" and then go away which is utterly useless. If you would be more informative, it would help validate Joomla's position. A fresh install of Joomla is far from what your site is.

Claudek, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  3. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    Suri.CMS, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  4. dalt

dalt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Correct. By the time it is finished you won't recognize the similarity. I use the template system to setup the structure (mods and extensions) and then I go in and change the CSS to my liking. I have only added one additional extension and that is the social networking script 'my ecopunch' link. I am waiting for the full blown script that interfaces with 'community builder'. In the meantime, I am changing the design to suit. Doing it this way, I save days in time and can eliminate programmers entirely from the equation.

Dalt

dalt, Mar 26, 2008 IP
  5. Allegron

Allegron Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to use NOVOYA system, it is absolute (IMHO) solution for news site.

Allegron, Apr 20, 2008 IP
  6. diowilda

diowilda Active Member

Best Answers:
    iam using wordpress

diowilda, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  7. Newviewit

Newviewit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is alright and it comes with many free themes...
    Joomla for community driven news sites

...if you plan on expanding in the future then I would go with ModxCMS. I've tried them all and Modx is a fantastic CMS... just released version 1.0 and it's going to be taking off ... Ajax features, full control over page designs (no template restrictions), internal SEO built in....

it's all about design... not the CMS

Newviewit, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  8. dundalkwebdesign

dundalkwebdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I would always tell people to use PHP-FUSION you can do so many things with it,very good CMS
    I write themes for the PHP-FUSION community,our themes are great goto: vbzoka.com and download php-fusion CMS

dundalkwebdesign, May 1, 2010 IP
  9. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    I 'll go with wordpress any day. Joomla and Drupal are good solutions but when it comes to simplicity, hands down to wordpress.

Oranges, May 1, 2010 IP
  10. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is not a CMS. It is a blogging platform.

Blue Star Ent., May 1, 2010 IP
  11. fandor

fandor Active Member

Best Answers:
    We use Wordpress only for our 100+ projects. Our reasons are: great seo impact, easy to install and use, a LOT of free plugins, great free & premium templates. And on-going development.

fandor, Aug 12, 2010 IP
  12. herri

herri Peon

Best Answers:
    absolutly wordpress. if you need template you can call me :)

herri, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  13. Awilum

Awilum Member

Best Answers:
    My choice Drupal

Awilum, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  14. LucasAnderson

LucasAnderson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Bloated content management systems like Joomla or Drupal are terrible for the end-user experience and not very developer friendly. Concrete5 is a new powerful CMS that is easy for developers and even easier for end-users. It works on a in-context editing model so you make changes as you're browsing your site. No more portal clones! If you're are like me and tired of long training sessions and tons of client support requests, I would go with Concrete5. Try a demo of it here: bit.ly/concrete5cms

LucasAnderson, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  15. hgeert

hgeert Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Concrete 5 is a nice content management system that is worth of looking and it.

hgeert, Oct 27, 2010 IP
  16. cfb1972

cfb1972 Peon

Best Answers:
    I like Joomla more than other CMS (I also use Wordpress, Elxis or Typo3). Never got along with Drupal. The only thing that puts me off when choosing Joomla is the SEO thing...you've mentioned a "good SEO extenssion"...which one would you recommend?

cfb1972, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  17. cfb1972

cfb1972 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is great for editing but the community is not that usefull and the site is very slow I must add.

cfb1972, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  18. anfind0g

anfind0g Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done a lot of research on this because I helped a four newspapers with problems they had on their Joomla sites. I had looked at Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla as the alternatives. It's like the Goldilocks and the three bears - one bed too soft, one too hard and one just right. WP is easiest, but underpowered. Drupal is powerful but too complex. Joomla is just right.
    What I settled on was Joomla 1.5 using the K2 extension. Example: www.powelltribune.com http://getk2.org/
    It's got great a SEO, ease-of-use and flexibility (adding new modules.) The admin works well for the users. It loads quickly and the security developed is top notch.
    Joomla is going thru some changes and it will become even better when 1.8 arrives - that's the skinny, anyway. It has adopted many of K2's improvements.

anfind0g, May 5, 2011 IP
  19. mysteryofmarketing

mysteryofmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I highly recommend vBulletin for a news site. You can tweak it up to work perfectly that way. I was hesitant at first to spend the money, but it's been worth every single penny. It enables me to get so much more work done in the same amount of time.

mysteryofmarketing, May 10, 2011 IP
  20. TwoToofs

TwoToofs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would go with Wordpress without giving it a second thought. If I had to choose something else I would go with Drupal.

TwoToofs, May 10, 2011 IP