1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pagerank... no more major updates?

Discussion in 'Google' started by arcadeorama, Oct 25, 2010.

I don't know if this sounds crazy, or has been discussed here before, but I was wondering if Google is actually going to do any major updates any more. Haven't they been trying to keep webmasters from focusing on pagerank for some time now? Also, am I remembering wrong, or was the little pagerank indicator taken out of the google toolbar at one point? It seems like we go through minor update after minor update, which seems to mean only random pages get any updates. Not one page of any of my sites has changed one inch in ages.

I wouldn't care at all, except for two things... I'm trying to do link exchanges with sites in my niche, and PR0 sites "need not apply". Also, there's the psychological factor of the toolbar saying "google's view of the importance of this page...0!"

arcadeorama, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  2. HelloM

HelloM Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think Google can simply take out PageRank! Its just much more than just a button in the toolbar!

HelloM, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  3. bermuda

bermuda Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that even Google is not taking PR that seriously any longer and this could be quite natural of course. After its initial introductions a few years ago, PageRank has been just the main reason why many webmasters have been adding links to their websites, hoping to artificially increase their websites values but they are all wrong because PR is only one factor among tens of other items Google considers. Google as you have assumed is not even updating the websites PR values frequently like before.

bermuda, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  4. bilalx

bilalx Active Member

Best Answers:
    how can you say this about google? google is very serious, and it will be on number 1 because of its better managements,
    google is imporiving its service day by day,

bilalx, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  5. Patricianian

Patricianian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google PageRank wont vanish, take my word on that ;)

Patricianian, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  6. arcadeorama

arcadeorama Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I don't think pagerank will vanish either, but maybe it will just be something that google tracks internally and not exports on a periodic basis? Kind of leaves new sites out in the cold for a while.

7. Querall

Querall Peon

Best Answers:
    Google PR is still relevant and always good for webmaster like us.

Querall, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  8. Lovely

Lovely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think we are in the era of minor update of PR, because the minor update has being going on for the past 3-4 weeks now. it is likely Google is testing some new things that have not be make known to webmaster or Google is not interesting in major update of PR. Whatever is the case, we will know where Google is going sooner or later.

Lovely, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  9. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will not take PageRank away, but they can hide it for any public to access it.

DoDo Me, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  10. Querall

Querall Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard rumor that google will soon get rip off PR from google system because lot of backlink building use blackhat technique on their works, Isn't that true?

Querall, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  11. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank will always be here. I am guessing that since Caffeine there is no need for any major updates. I would think they happen as they happen and nothing more.

Barre Tire, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  12. arcadeorama

arcadeorama Peon

Best Answers:
    No need for major updates? What about all the sites that have been created in the past few months? Will they really be doomed to eternal PR0?

13. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe..... NOT... I didn't say sites woulkd not get pr, I said Google may not need a major update to do it. With the Caffeine Infrastructure there may not be a need for it. In fact public PR is really not needed in my opinion.

Barre Tire, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  14. arcadeorama

arcadeorama Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree... it's more of a headache than it's worth. Unfortunately, other people put great emphasis on it, like anyone I'd want to exchange links with. I suppose at some point the whole idea will be forgotten about.

15. dropcatchsell

dropcatchsell Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the odds on a major coming around Halloween. Google has not, as best I can tell, ever missed the October major update.

Also, the October minor we saw a week ago didn't cover as many sites as the last couple minors did. The last time that happened was in June, and that led to a second, larger minor update.

On balance, I like the odds on seeing major update in the next two weeks. It's a guess, don't get me wrong, but it's an educated guess.

dropcatchsell, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  16. craig105

craig105 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I like to check my PR on my sites but as far as I'm concerned it's just a number.

craig105, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  17. mchrest

mchrest Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why is everyone so obsessed with PR ? this is like10th thread for page rank.

mchrest, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  18. arcadeorama

arcadeorama Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't really care in the least, I just want some number > 0 so I can have a choice to exchange links with...

19. arcadeorama

arcadeorama Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there any evidence, or wild guess as to who gets covered in a minor update? I don't know what you need to do, but I'm obviously not doing it...

20. arcadeorama

arcadeorama Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course, there probably wouldn't even be one, if the google pagerank export was on some sort of predictable schedule, or wasn't clouded in mystery...