1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to make a VPS on a Dedicated server ?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by kermia, Oct 23, 2010.

Hello ,
    I want to know how can i make a Virtual Private Server on a Dedicated server ? i have no any idea about this topic . for example i don't know which operating system is better to use or what programs are need to make a VPS and should i get any licences ?

can somebody help me ? :)

Thank you

kermia, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    First of all use CentOS OS on your Dedicated server. Next step is to install a Virtualization software which is use to create VPS. There are a few like Virtuozzo, OpenVZ, Xen etc but I would recommend OpenVZ since it's free and easy to manage as well. Once the software is installed, you need to download OS templates on your Dedicated server in a specific location. Using these OS templates, you can create VPSs with required Operating System. You should also have additional IPs for VPS but remember you don't have to bind them on the Dedicated server. Once you create a VPS, you have to add the IP on the VPS to make it accessible.

madaboutlinux, Oct 23, 2010 IP
    kermia likes this.
  3. kermia

kermia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for response !
    I've heard about VmWare software . what is the difference between Vmware and OpenVz ? Whereas , security is more important than expense for me !

kermia, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
    It is widely used these days but you will have to pay for the licenses. Also I don't see any security issues with OpenVZ as well and it is good to start with.

5. kermia

kermia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you .
    finally i have some questions :

1 - Which version of CentOs ? (CentOS 5.1 Desktop is suitable ?)
    2 - Is it free to use ?
    3 - can i use OpenVz for wider uses and big servers ?
    4 - Are OS templates free and where can i find them ?

kermia, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  6. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Member

Best Answers:
  7. kermia

kermia Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you , i'm studying :)

kermia, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  8. kermia

kermia Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry ! a new question :

Can i install Vmware on the Windows ? and why you proffer me to using the CentOs ?

kermia, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  9. darvil

darvil Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, is this dedicated server in your control? Is it a remote server?

If it is in your control and you can direct mess with it then I suggest using XenServer. Its very robust and free (well not totally but alot of great features).

You can also install CentOS, and use something like hyperVM to either install opensource Xen or openVZ easily just by running a script.

If you want to go thru VMware route then you can install esxi (but I don't like it as it is too limiting).

Anyway you can install a free version of vmware using a desktop (windows) but personally I don't feel that this is a robust way to test out anything unless if you're a regular desktop user.

darvil, Oct 31, 2010 IP
  10. snowgrass

snowgrass Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to start with Xen.
    Xen can be use to easy manage security environment whereas usign OpenVZ you should have a lot of security skills.
    Xen comes with all famous server distributions like Centos, Red Hat, Debian, Ubuntu, Suse... (not last Fedoras).
    You can set up two kind of virtual machines, called domU in Xen jargon: paravirtualized domU or HVM.
    Paravirtualized domU contains an operating system that is able to interact with Xen while HVM virtual machine contains oblivious operating system which do not interact with Xen but it works.
    Windows operating systems must be installed in a HVM environment.

snowgrass, Nov 1, 2010 IP