1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to learn Basic CSS -- Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Sickthing, Oct 19, 2010.

I need a work at my on time CSS Course.

I am doing a lot of marketing and need to be able to work at my own speed on my own time but I really want to bump up my CSS knowledge then tackle PHP. I can't do this right until I do that, well unless I start making a ton of money and then hire someone else ;)

I need to know how to hack my WP themes a bit. Not build my own themes. :)

Sickthing, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    YouTube has plenty of great tutorials for CSS 101 . I do recommend that you play around whit a graphic design program as well to get the creative juices flowing .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  3. jayrudalf

jayrudalf Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not you start participating in graphics designing forums? You will learn all things there.

jayrudalf, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  4. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Two people tell me graphic design. Now that surprises me. I must know less about CSS than I thought.

I mostly want to control the layout of my theme better and even the look of my text. I worked with an AWeber theme tonight, trying to make it do what I wanted. I finally gave up and made it almost do what I wanted. LOL

Thanks, I'll try that. Find a tutorial on YouTube. I've done that with Photoshop in the past. Hard to find them that don't want to sell you their super duper tool to make it all easier. :) Can find them from time to time though. I will look!

Sickthing, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  5. TheDataPlanet.com

TheDataPlanet.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You need to read some books and practice along. Or if you don't want to pay for the courses, htmldog.com is the best free HTML and CSS resource online. It's well written and easy to follow and it's complete in both tutorials as well as references.

TheDataPlanet.com, Oct 20, 2010 IP
    Sickthing likes this.
  6. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Scraping....

I probably have a CSS book 8000 miles away. haha. Yes, I need to do it online since living in the Philippines make it hard to get these kinds of books. I need to just buy a Kindle! On my way to take a look at that tutorial website.

Sickthing, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  7. TheDataPlanet.com

TheDataPlanet.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problem. There are plenty of online resources for learning the basics of web development. If you are able to search, there's no need to pay for books at all.

The htmldog.com site isn't opening for me, seems to be down temporarily.

TheDataPlanet.com, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  8. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Dude I had a look at that website and I'm shocked . It's terrible , it has some bare-bone info and that's it . And WTH are you talking about whit books ? By the time you write a book there are new tricks in the biz . Besides vidz are far better , if a image is worth 1000 words then think how much a video can teach you .

@Sickthing CSS is just a way to make your website look cool . That's why I said that you need to play around whit graphic design so you can get more idea . If photoshop is to tough for you try Firework it's a whole lot more friendly and it still has great potential .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 20, 2010 IP
    Sickthing likes this.
  9. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I know there are a lot but most of it is junk. Refer you to pay sites. I'm all paid out at the moment. :)

htmldog is opening okay for me. Do you use opendns? My internet provider (spammers on the network) has terrible issues with dns so it helps me a great deal.

10. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Apocalypse, I need to work with the basics of CSS for now. I have Photoshop and can use it but I'm far, far from an expert. :) I need to take a refresher on masking with that. Little steps. Article marketing and blogging is slow for me and takes up most of my time.

11. niliven

niliven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What a nice post, If you want to learn css then i think you should take help from google. I am sure that it will help you.
    Website design involves a wide range of skills and techniques which includes a a mastery of HTML and CSS. CSS is important for web design.
    Thanks

niliven, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  12. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Mastery of HTML ? Dude HTML is the simplest language we have . Even a 6th grader can "master" it . It's not like C or Java it just is simple .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  13. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow and what a nice reply.

I know basic HTML. Enough to get by. I learned HTML 1.0 haha Back in the dark ages. I got spoiled with Frontpage for a while, now that's history. It set my learning back though, instead of keeping up when 3.0 came out 4.0 was well in full swing by the time I got back into it. Then of course there is Joomla and Wordpress. I don't do anything with Joomla now. Still have a couple of old mostly dead sites up using it. I like it but WP seems to do so much better, better support. That makes it so I don't really need heavy knowledge in HTML but I do find that I need CSS and I just don't have what I need to know. I've taken most of the tutorials at W3C which allows me to almost converse with my theme developer. HAHA Almost.

I have a theme I need to modify... it needs some fire put in it. :) I need to be able to modify the CSS in an aWEber template. That kind of thing. I'll just keep building on what I know slowly Outsourcing would be a good option for me but not quite in a position to do that..

14. ovidiu77

ovidiu77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great resources about css and design: google for net tutsplus.
    I personally have learned a lot from those tutorials.
    Hope it helps you.

thanks,
    ovidiu

ovidiu77, Oct 21, 2010 IP
  15. npnhome

npnhome Peon

Best Answers:
    W3school is one of the best solution to learn CSS. After that, You can search different CSS gallerias to learn some finest techniques by experts. There are may tutorial blogs are available on the Internet to teach you new things. css3.info is one of them.

npnhome, Oct 21, 2010 IP
  16. edeskservices

edeskservices Peon

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is, download free CSS Templates from the web and insert into Dreamwiver and check all part of design and compare css coding. try to edit CSS and watch results of changing, what happen with design after changes of codes. In this activities you learn more and more CSS fundamental and advance CSS coding.

edeskservices, Oct 21, 2010 IP
  17. delmartin100

delmartin100 Peon

Best Answers:
    w3c school website learn css.

delmartin100, Oct 21, 2010 IP
  18. Sickthing

Sickthing Peon

Best Answers:
    It lays it out there for you. I don't seem to retain what I learn. I probably need to practise more to retain.

Sickthing, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  19. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    No you need to tell w3 school and other self pompous websites to clown off .

I'll PM you a link whit one of my friends projects .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 22, 2010 IP