1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Did You Learn Web Design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by m1ndless, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I originally learnt via the geocities HTML guide, and then moved on to PHP and MySQL using a book from the series "visual quickstart pro", and also tutorials among sites such as Tizag. But to this day, I am still learnning, as the internet is forever evolving

Grit., Sep 24, 2010 IP
  2. Wuoshi

Wuoshi Peon

Best Answers:
    w3schools.com and different forums when having specific questions.

Wuoshi, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  3. Martenxxx

Martenxxx Peon

Best Answers:
    W3schools.com is really good place for start.

Martenxxx, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  4. bybullmoose

bybullmoose Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a great way to start is with a personal website that you feel comfortable making visible to your friends, family, coworkers, etc. Then get a client. It doesn't matter if you don't quite know what you're doing at this point. You'll figure out because now you have to. Find something you like, and view the page source. See how other people are doing the things that you would like to do. Copy and pasting code will become your best friend until you feel comfortable enough (or sick of messy code enough) to do it yourself.

bybullmoose, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  5. Designer777

Designer777 Guest

Best Answers:
    Go to http://freewebsitedesigntutorial.com/. There is lots of very valuable free information there. As a matter of fact, you can quickly learn how to make very attractive websites.

For questions about specific html coding, go to the w3schools website. I found the simplest thing to do would be to type "w3schools" followed by a keyword into my search engine. For instance, if I wanted to learn how to code font sizes, I would type "w3schools font size" into my search engine.

Designer777, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  6. harry.cooldude

harry.cooldude Peon

Best Answers:
    PM if interested .. I shall mail you an ebook from where i learnt .. Its simple and good for future reference also ..

harry.cooldude, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  7. northernweb

northernweb Peon

Best Answers:
    technically i went to university to study web design, but all that did was teach me everything i already knew before i went. i learnt (and continue to learn) web design by reading current blogs and experimenting. this is the only way to truly learn and stay abreast of web design.

northernweb, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  8. pammi388

pammi388 Peon

Best Answers:
    from the institute
    through the software & creative idea and after then open a new file
    html
    then start the coding in it

pammi388, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  9. cluongo18

cluongo18 Member

Best Answers:
    Years of reading tutorials online and buying books from the bookstore on HTML/CSS/Dreamweaver/Photoshop. Literally no formal education on web design. (I started school finally for web design, but havent even gotten into those courses yet)

Read tutorials! Practice! Its free, and it helps. Trust me.

cluongo18, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  10. techbridge_india

techbridge_india Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As per my view , Web Design is some thing which no one can teach you through a course or a book . It is something which you learn only through practice and experience . For HTML , i'll advise you to first clear your basics by going through any good book based on it and then you can go through w3school's tutorials or video tutorials of lynda.com are also quite good . Once u get a grasp of the basics then practice n experience will surely elevate you to a different standard in future.

techbridge_india, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  11. TechGuy1

TechGuy1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Firstly you have to choose your teacher.Then you can start self-study by W3school.

TechGuy1, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  12. torrfriend

torrfriend Active Member

Best Answers:
    i learned...and also learning from video tutorials.....from sites like LYNDA, VTC and other video tutorial...

torrfriend, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  13. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of practise and research on tutorial sites and forums, even now my coding skills are pretty naf, HTML and CSS is easy but when it comes to complicated projects with PHP I find it hard work and tend to have to look stuff up alot. But my biggest problem is the opposite to you my design skills an skills for making images are pretty much none existant, an can normally get by with most coding stuff even if I do have to ask for a little help sometimes but there is no getting round being bad at the design an image making side of things really other than getting someone else to do that bit.

johneva, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  14. Turboswag

Turboswag Peon

Best Answers:
    I am currently learning HTML (How To Meet Ladies :p) at college. We have been using www.w3schools.com fpr tutorials, and my teacher has been giving us the tasks to do.

Turboswag, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  15. captkrackerjack

captkrackerjack Peon

Best Answers:
    Definately use W3Schools.com I used this alot even now just for quick references to certain parts of the main web languages that I need to either brush up on or figure out a problem using some tags or methods I don't normally use.

Again indispensable resource.

And finally a reply to this post which sounds almost exactly how I learned. But I do beg to differ that you can learn a lot through books. I used some really good books to learn the basics years ago along with notepad and a fading F5 key :) I never really used any of the WYSIWYG software and to this day most of my programming is through an editor mainly Komodo Edit, ScITE and the likes. But the best way is surely to just jump in and start doing it.

captkrackerjack, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  16. jmiles

jmiles Peon

Best Answers:
    You can learn web design from the tons of resources on the web but to be specialized you must spend few years.

jmiles, Oct 13, 2010 IP
  17. Cyber God

Cyber God Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest you to use wordpress. it's really easy to use. give it a shot,dude!

Cyber God, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  18. shavic

shavic Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Practice makes a man perfect. Lots of books reading, online tutorials, online videos and time. Just take your time to learn it, don't hurry up the things.

shavic, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  19. tommyboy9810

tommyboy9810 Peon

Best Answers:
    tommyboy9810, Oct 29, 2010 IP
  20. instant87

instant87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anybody who is not self-taught is not a true web designer. You don't need books, or definitely not courses to learn, if you follow a book or course it just slows down the time it takes to learn. Just my two cents.

instant87, Oct 29, 2010 IP