1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Setting Up Your Own Ad Network

Discussion in 'Google' started by Jake Howard, Oct 9, 2010.

Hi All

I am just looking to learn a bit more about setting up your ad network.

Has anyone here every developed there own ad network, or do you know of any useful resources in terms of learning more about setting one up?

Cheers

Jake

Jake Howard, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  2. zinghana

zinghana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried this.. like many others.. i failed... you need a large capital to start with... trying get new advertisers on-board is almost impossible... unless you have a network of 200+ quality sites...you can rent advert slots on webmasters sites.. this would then display your advertisers adverts.. but its hard to server related adverts when you are just starting... you are better off having 100+ sites of your own and then contacting potential advertisers in your specific niches...

Many have tried and many have failed.. you need a large overhead to start with to stand any chance..

PS... you "Horse racing Jobs" signature link is screwed up lol... ;) lol

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    zinghana, Oct 9, 2010 IP
    Jake Howard likes this.
  3. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    try start form local, one country, your country (better not english)

DoDo Me, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  4. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm still working on the coding side of one (I went and had a baby and haven't actually done any work on it for 3 months lol). When it works, I'm going to gradually approach smaller site owners to help with testing, and release it on my own sites too. I have a niche web directory on one of my sites so I already have a list of smaller sites where the owners are seeking publicity, so these will be first on my contact list.

It will be able to work as a free 'banner exchange' style program too, which should appeal to new users.

We'll see how it goes.

RumpledElf, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  5. Jake Howard

Jake Howard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It appears that setting up an ad network is no easy task, so I am going to do a lot more research before I invest a single dollar.

Despite some of the challenges that have been raised, I am still confident that there is some merit in the idea in regards to my niche. So I think the aim is to not try and compete with the likes of Google and the other well established ad networks, but to simply try and provide a network that better serves our niche.

If anyone has any further feedback or experience, please let me know.

Jake Howard, Oct 10, 2010 IP
  6. ahughes

ahughes Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Jake,

Just a quick note, I wouldn't try catering for 'small niches' (for such sites as small blogs/sites made for adsense) - there's a reason Google and other massive networks don't invest more time and effort into that area - the people involved are generally in the market for greed. Greed such as creating a site specifically to gain revenue from an ad network, rather than creating a genuinely good site and adding adverts etc to pay for the time & effort/costs involved.

So, the audience you would gain for catering for small niches and sites such as that would generally be bad. The markets absolutely jam packed with people trying to cheat the system, and even more so people working for Google on how to improve and expand their ad network.

As the above posters have said, I would too aim for a local, smaller market with a more 'personal touch'. If in fact you do manage to set up a reasonably busy, quality Ad Network - just you wait until the leaders of the industry get a wif and implement your 'magical' strategy.

Disclaimer: Not all people in the small niche market are greedy, scamming type people - but a large percentage will be. If you do go ahead and try to create an Ad Network I wish you the best of luck. (I don't think i'm an expert or anything whatsoever - this post is just an opinionated point of view from my experience. :)

Cheers.

ahughes, Oct 10, 2010 IP