1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Read This Before Replying to Posts in This Section!

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by yfs1, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The X Files

The X Files Peon

Best Answers:
    I now know why many infraction in my post :D

The X Files, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  2. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've always done this as a way of seeing what I have posted too also. Great idea for people with many things to say about different diverse topics.

SFOD_D223, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  3. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS!!

I read this thread and have not responded in any solicitation annoucements since then unless necessary. The other day, I posted in one thread asking if a certain category could be added. No problem, right? I had a reason to post. Tonight, the directory owner responded in the thread saying the category was added and to submit my site there. I responded saying, thanks (meaning thanks for the category) and that I submitted my site. And, I got an infraction! Give me a break! I asked for a category, the directory owner helped me out and I thanked them. That is not allowed either?

This nonsense is going to drive people from this forum. I don't want to have to walk on eggshells every time I post something. I know that dp has a gazillion members and really won't miss me posting, but I have almost had it. :mad:

Janet, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  4. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is why there is the PM (private mail) function.
    Lot easier to just pm the poster and say, thank you.
    Than to post it in the thread.

I really believe, and I wonder if I am in the minority here, that the infraction system at times is a bad way to tell people they made a very minor mistake.

iowadawg, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  5. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Janet - You could have Pmed him..... but yes I do support you as from what you have explained it looks like you had a reason to say thanks

max pain, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  6. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    You are not in the minority, I agree with you. It wasn't like I just said, 'thanks, submitted one' just for the sake of posting, I was thanking the directory owner for the category and for helping me out with it. I really am considering not posting anymore at all on this forum. I am really too frustrated with it.

Janet, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  7. max pain

max pain Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think thats a good step Janet. Agreed that the infraction was uncalled for - but whoever gave you that infraction has been around in this forum for a long time and knows much more than we do.

This forum has real valuable info and is not worth quitting over such an issue as "infraction" or "rep". Did you ever quit school if your teacher punished you for something that you were not at fault?

max pain, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  8. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    Your probably right. It was late last night and I was tired and cranky (rough week with sick kids), that is why I suppose I overreacted slightly. I had just got the kids to bed and went to do some work on my site and then I got the infraction. My mind is much clearer this morning. Thanks for the reality check. :)

Janet, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Some of the infractions given may be overractions as well. But look at it in the scheme of things. The mass amounts of people trying to get their post count up.

Blogmaster, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  10. fatinfo guy

fatinfo guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, got a first official warning (did not get any infraction points) from DP earlier for a post going back twenty days ago where I helped someone make the link live because they had a low post count (post found here). This may or may not be getting out of hand as these warnings and infractions are handed out for some thing dated so far back. I am just a bit confused by it. Anyways, this post has no value. Just another rant / pad to the message count as they say. But really, who cares about message counts? Certainly not I. Some of us are not here to pad message counts, if I was then this would not have been my first post in a whole week. If anyone is truely concerned about message counts at DP, simply shut down general chat. Spread the love give infractions to all. Thanks for reading and back to your regular programming. And besides, posting in a sticky seen by everyone all the time is 100x better than any post count inflations. So there you have it in terms of accusing members (who can care less) of inflating post counts by digging up really outdated material.

fatinfo guy, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  11. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the time a Mod issue infraction after someone report a post. I don't think mod dig up old post just to accuse people because no one on earth has the time to do it(think about how many post per day)

ahkip, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    an0n, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  13. fatinfo guy

fatinfo guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel you. Rule 1, do not help a Peon make live links. Rule 2, write lots of text after you have already made your statement even if it does not have any pointers or message in it. Rule 3, get friendly with a mod? Rule 4, count the number of sentence you write in your post as this is already sentence number 5. I pray I get no infractions for this post.

fatinfo guy, Sep 30, 2006 IP
    kh7 likes this.
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    the safest thing to do is just submit to directories and say nothing.

Blogmaster, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  15. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While this is what I do 95% of the time, I do agree there are times when posting is justified, and infractions get out of hand.

One is when I really do have something to say that adds meaning to the site. I personally have never gotten an infraction, but I would also be a little disturbed if I received one for making a person's link live.

I just know that I hate copying and pasting URLs into the browser. So why not make it live? That helps out myself and everybody submitting to that directory. It also helps out the thread starter.

Any other posts should be notifications of errors in the script, asking to disable image verification, etc.

I understand that Mod's have A LOT to do, and don't have time to read the entire thread to see if a post is justified. But when the first post has a link that is not live, and the second or third post has a link that is, it only makes sense to put 2 and 2 together.

MattEvers, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I do agree on that. Right now seems to be the time when a point is being made more than anything. Point being, that post padding is not welcome, which has been overly done in this section as well as the introduction section. I do believe that things will get "back to normal", once the point gets across more (looking at some other forums, I do see a need to be a little bit harder in a category that is often being abused by those who hunt for free links any chance they get)

Blogmaster, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  17. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    We are not allowed to welcome new members either?? Then why even have an introduction section?

Janet, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  18. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. And I think the DP staff does a great job at keeping the place level. I know that while we complain about them being too hard, we would also complain about them letting people get away with anything. There will never be a pefect line drawn when it comes to being fair. That is just something we have to leave up to the staff to decide.

I don't think that is the point. People often go to the introduction section just to have enough posts to have a signature/post in the buy/sell forums. It become evident when a person that just signs up goes to every introduction thread (some dating back many months) and feels the need to welcome everybody to the forum. They certainly can't go to the PHP, etc section and just run up the post amount. I think it is good to welcome people to the forum, as it feels good to know people care (I guess...:)) about the new guy/gal. But there is no need to welcome somebody to the forum that joined before you did.

MattEvers, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Right, it will always be a balancing act. I think that those who get infracted and get upset, should *try* to not take this personally, and rather pass on the message, that we don't want "submitted link to link" kind of posts. This section will always be a problem area. Many of yesterdays link farmers are today's directory submitters :)

Blogmaster, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  20. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I posted this elsewhere before but it applies to your question:

Its not about being afraid. Generally:

1.) If the majority of your posts are in the intro section, all with similar responses, you pretty much know what your contribution to the community is

2.) IF you ever use CTRL-C or CTRL-V, you pretty much know what your contribution to the community is

3.) If someone has posted they are leaving DP in the Intros section, and you say "Welcome to DP, Hope you have fun" - you pretty much know what your contribution to the community is

I have a few posts in that section but it is usually because I am legitimately interested in something they said in their intro, or I recognize the user name and actually want to welcome them.

Just use common sense and there will be no need to be "afraid"

yfs1, Oct 3, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.