1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Gona try and fake-boost alexa rankings.

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by Robert Allen, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Phynder, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  2. surchin

surchin Banned

Best Answers:
    How about building a site with substance that people want to see... gosh that would be a marvel.

surchin, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  3. EasyMarketer

EasyMarketer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa doesnt log ips?

EasyMarketer, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  4. Phynder

Best Answers:
    What does that have to do with the question "Can Alexa be manipulated"? To "trust" a measure, those that use is need to have confidence that the measure is not easily manipulated. If Alexa is easy to manipulate, then Amazon could put some more effort into improving Alexa. And that would be a marvel.

Phynder, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  5. falcondriver

falcondriver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dude, you made my day with this tread :D

scnr

falcondriver, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  6. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'v assumed for a long time that Alexa can be manipulated, but that it's quite hard to do above a certain ranking threshold. It would be useful to have more information about roughly where this threshold is, both for those of us who like to know how well we are doing compared to other sites, and for people who use Alexa data to help them make advertising and purchasing decisions.

Can you fake an Alexa rank of 40 000? What about 4000? These are valid questions, and having research that answers them would help ordinary users, and not just people who are planning to cheat the system.

Obelia, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  7. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Obelia - exactly my thoughts - especially what level is "difficult" vs "easy" to manipulate a ranking to.

Phynder, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  8. Doken

Doken Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa on his toolbar have a spyware, tracking cookie for know what webs are you visit and make his rank.

Doken, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  9. Shawon

Shawon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    did u have the alexa toolbar installed? because if not then u just wasted time. alexa rankings only count those ppl with the alexa toolbar.

Shawon, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  10. SoAngels.com

SoAngels.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa has one purpose, to post accurate ranking. They are aware of the fake and cheating methods. They do not work. Alexa is on top of things :)

SoAngels.com, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  11. Wekky

Wekky Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure on this one? it doesn't look quite right to me...

Wekky, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  12. h4nh4n

h4nh4n Peon

Best Answers:
    it does look right to me :D

h4nh4n, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  13. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone just be very careful if you are going to try this out and if you have adsense on that site because you are artifically inflating adsense impressions. You can get your account banned very easily if you do this. :eek:

If you want to fake alexa... Install their toolbar and set your site as homepage after some time your site will atleast be under 100k :D

jaree, Oct 2, 2006 IP
    dct likes this.
  14. jaybong

jaybong Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa doesn't update everyday so you'll have to wait to see if it has any effect.

Does alexa really log ip's because I'm sure none of my visitors use it and my ranks pretty good, and even when I diddn't have any visitors my rank slowly decreased/ (increased?), as I use it.

But yeah I'm pretty sure adsense won't be too happy about it, seems like a pointless risk, do it on a site with no adsense.

jaybong, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  15. VincentChow

VincentChow Peon

Best Answers:
    No matter how many times you reload the page, it will still only counted as one.
    I'm happier to see my Alexa ranking improve itself. It update quite fast, not like the PageRank that takes ages.
    My blog's Alexa was 4million+, and it improve every week, and now it's only 222k. :D

VincentChow, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  16. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Excellent point! Do not do this with a site that has AdSense!

Phynder, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  17. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    this is silly. Alexa does update it's rankings for bigger sites daily, smaller sites not as much. And refreshing the alexa page isn't going to do anything. From Alexa.com:

runnerunner, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  18. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Thank goodness there are others that see that Alexa "manipulation" is pure silliness. No one has been able to show me a capability to manipulate Alexa.

Phynder, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  19. TomN

TomN Peon

Best Answers:
    Disclaimer:
    I tested this as a little experiment with a domain that I had sitting around. I DID NOT DO IT FOR PERSONAL GAIN.
    I did this a few months ago so I can't say if it works anymore.

You must do it every day or else your ranking goes down. It's totally useless.

What you have to do is get apache and pHP, I used instantrails, then you edit your hosts file to make your comp think that your local ip is the ip of your domain.

Then all you need is a simple page with the javascript refresh, and you'll save bandwidth.

This method worked a few months ago, but I'm not sure if it works anymore. Also, I tend to see domains that I work on for administration purposes go up to 900k in alexa from just me going to phpmyadmin, and other admin scripts for work.

I've tested this and it worked, but again, I can't say that it does any longer.

EDIT: Also getting your alexa rank to any low number is next to impossible this way. The whole idea for personal gain is utterly nuts. I wouldn't do it again.

TomN, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  20. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i would say no need to fake alexa rank, just get backlinks. Buy links , banners it will increase the popularity of site, and you will get natural traffic.

About alexa updating daily... it updates daily for my site, but i dont know if my site is considered a big site :p its only 70k ;)

smub, Oct 2, 2006 IP