1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Long Did It Take You To Learn CSS?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by psufootball, Sep 25, 2010.

Using some tutorials I found on http://www.w3schools.com/ I learned HTML (and I guess XHTML simultaneously) in like a week or two. But CSS seems much harder and I'm just not catching on very fast. Is this similar with most people?

psufootball, Sep 25, 2010 IP
  2. Abh

Abh Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dunno about that, but i did my first website in html+css (i also inserted some gallery and order scripts ) in around 3 days learning from the same http://www.w3schools.com/ . But that's, of course, just the basics, and i'm not too proud of that website right now. You should've learned them both at the same time, i found it easier that way.

Abh, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  3. GreenT

GreenT Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned HTML when CSS was still an early draft, more than 10 years ago... and it took me about a week or so to know most tags and how to use them. That was when "layout" meant how you would use tables to keep your content in order and the latest innovation were embedded images in 256 colors.
    I think with the tutorials available today, learning HTML and CSS together in a month or so, simply by reading tutorials and trying out different things in a browser in your spare time, should be possible.
    It probably still depends on how much tech knowledge you have and how well you deal with the information overload that comes with reading tutorials, blogs and forum posts....

GreenT, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  4. talldoll

talldoll Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes absolutely. I cannot make any sense of CSS. I am still using HTML on my website with tables and everything. To me, it is way more logical.

talldoll, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  5. DianeBrandt

DianeBrandt Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never taken the time to learn CSS from A to Z. I've only needed to know a little HTML.

DianeBrandt, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  6. tsak

tsak Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well it took me 3 weeks to learn the basics and start building my own website. I was making baby steps on designing . You can not think that "WOW my first website must be really great" .. You have to wait and build many websites. Every website will learn you something new about css

tsak, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  7. Deanny

Deanny Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since I never actively seeked to learn it, it took me a couple of months to get used to it. But once you use it every day, it becomes very natural and easy to remember.

Deanny, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  8. Rimona

Rimona Active Member

Best Answers:
    Learning CSS is well worth the effort.
    It takes about a week to learn the basic principles and the rest is practice, practice, practice and more practice.

Rimona, Sep 26, 2010 IP
  9. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Purely depends on your own Interest.

karthimx, Sep 27, 2010 IP
  10. JimBoom

JimBoom Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Rimona, it's all practice, practice, once you learn the basics. The W3schools sites serve as a good starter training and constant reference tool, but really the best way to learn is to look at existing websites CSS and break down how they are styled by seeing it, and re-creating or changing it yourself. The BEST tool for this is FireBug, which is an addon for Firefox. it let's you see the CSS of any website in a split screen, and point to any element to see the exact HTML and CSS for an individual page element. Once you start playing with that, it all starts coming together.

JimBoom, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  11. david.rew1164

david.rew1164 Peon

Best Answers:
    w3schools.com helps u to get the basic idea about css for for advanced thins u need to explore different blogs. If you have any problem you can ask me i am a professional css developer.

david.rew1164, Sep 30, 2010 IP
  12. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    w3schools are quite weak IMHO .

It took me 2 days to learn css to use it at a 8/10 level . I did had the help of what was then Macromedia's Dreamweaver MX .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 1, 2010 IP
  13. fatty112

fatty112 Member

Best Answers:
    I have never taken the time to learn it completely but it sort of came naturally to me.

fatty112, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  14. Graphicazio

Graphicazio Peon

Best Answers:
    Bulletproof web design and Handcrafted CSS are AWSOME BOOKS.

Graphicazio, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  15. Disids

Disids Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it's easy use CMS or paid man who can do it for you then learn CSS

Disids, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  16. cyruskafaiwu

cyruskafaiwu Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, it came naturally from a little w3 schools. Id guess about a week or two.

cyruskafaiwu, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  17. 5867dude

5867dude Peon

Best Answers:
    I strongly suggest you learn CSS. It is easy once you pass the first hurdle. w3 schools is a great site to get started on. Learn box model first. Then everything else is easy, even more so with Dreamweaver, it automatically finishes your tags.

5867dude, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  18. zzbomb

zzbomb Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think i could measure my learning of css in time.. It's just sorta happened as ive made websites over the last few years.

zzbomb, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  19. TDub

TDub Peon

Best Answers:
    It took me about 2 weeks full-time to fully understand CSS2 and it's quirks. And that was because I was forced to learn it for a new project.

It's years later now and I find it's still a pain to make complex layouts appear properly across the major browsers, but I can do it with a few hours of tweaking.

Just dig in and don't give up.

Firebug and Firefox Developer plug-in are my friends. Oh, and so is http://www.alistapart.com/

TDub, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  20. encryta

encryta Peon

Best Answers:
    After reading CSS: The missing manual eBook, second edition; I learned the basics in about half a month and after that everything else was easy to learn. I still have the eBook if you want to read it.

encryta, Oct 5, 2010 IP