1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stay away from Giga International

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by c44, Sep 20, 2010.

I had a terrible experience with the German hosting company Giga International and I hope others will read this before signing up with them and having the same nightmare as I had.

First, I was in the Internet business for more than 10 years, I had 100s of sites and used many good and bad hosting companies over time but never had such a terrible experience.

I signed up with them for a VPS and from the beginning I found strange that they have high setup fees and ask the same monthly rate for cpanel as they ask for the VPS itself but I was naive enough to pay them in advance for 6 months (in order to pay a lower setup fee).

When the VPS was ready I registered 2 domains with namecheap and pointed them to the NS that are listed in cpanel/add new account page. About 3 days later the domains were still not resolving to the page a put on the VPS, so I went to their web site to contact them and found that they have no chat and no way to open a ticket. You can only contact them by email or a German phone number but ONLY during German business hours. If you are in a different time zone or have a problem during the week end, it's your problem not their.

So, I have sent them an email explaining the problem and a guy named Andreas Sturm got back to me (in a very poor English) and basically told me that I can't host domains that are not registered with them except if I PAY THEM 1 EURO PER MONTH PER DOAMIN prepaid for one year to add a DNS entry. Those guys are selling web hosting but do not allow you to host your web site with them (???). They basically want you to buy the domain from them but they sell a .com for $24 euro per year (about $30 per year).

I told them I will not pay that and asked for a refund (less than 5 days after signing up) but they said they do not offer refunds and basically refuse to give me my money back and ask for more if I want to use the service I already paid for.

c44, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  2. BinaryQwest

BinaryQwest Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should have checked http://www.checkwebhosting.com/ looks like they got some bad reviews on there too. I got burned by a hosting company once and really learned my lesson. Had to cancel my CC card because they refused to stop charging me for a service they I no longer wanted. 2 years later I still get an email every month that says my card was denied. Hope you find a better host

BinaryQwest, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  3. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Since they don't want to refund,then you should initiate a charge back.

mentos, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  4. c44

c44 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what I plan to do. Just wanted to let anyone know about this before they make the same mistake and sign up with this company...

c44, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  5. Robert|Giga-International

Robert|Giga-International Peon

Best Answers:
    1. You have ordered a VPS plus cPanel from us. We prepared the server for you provided the login details the same day.
    2. The settings we apply to cPanel, are our default values. These values are intended to be used with domains registered through us. If you want to use your own domain registered through a different registrar, you might need to amend the settings in cPanel to meet the requirements of your registrar. Normally it works like this: Just edit the name servers your domain registrar provides and have the A-Records point to the IP address of your server. That's it!
    3. How should our name servers know about the domains you have registered with a third registrar?
    4. If your domain registrar does not offer free use of his name servers, you can either buy the name services from him or from us (there is a reason why they offer domain names at such low rates). Our price is 1.00 EUR per domain and month. It's that easy.

I apologize if a colleague was unclear at this point, but I wonder why you are complaining about our office hours and the ways to contact us. These can be found clearly on our website - we do not hide them.

Anyway, you should have already received an e-mail from our management and I really hope we will settle this awkward situation soon.

Best regards,

Robert | Giga-International

6. c44

c44 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should probably try to figure this out before entering the hosting business. I rent one server, 5 VPS and one reseller account from different companies and they all know that once the domain point to their name servers. I do not think this is a big secret all other hosting companies keep for them...

If there is one there should be their excellent service. I had domains registered with namecheap for years and they are great.

then why are they 1.99 euro per month on your web site?

Because it is hard for me (and probably for many people out there) to imagine that in 2010, there is a hosting company that is offering support only during business hours and do not even have a chat or support ticket system.

Yes, I did and he asked my to remove this post if I want a refund...

c44, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  7. DomainCo.US

DomainCo.US Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like blackmail, if a customer is not happy with service provided, just give a refund!

DomainCo.US, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  8. WebIntellects - Rob

WebIntellects - Rob Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is not first time I hear about their bad review. Hmmm... Maybe that is the reason of language? Maybe that was the main barrier?

WebIntellects - Rob, Sep 20, 2010 IP
  9. xpleet

xpleet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was on way to signup with them, but now I'm not sure...
    Is there any other review or experience with Giga International V-Servers ?

xpleet, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  10. saptakmandal

saptakmandal Active Member

Best Answers:
    Worst Thing i ever read about web hosts

saptakmandal, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  11. perfectblue

perfectblue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is this some kind of threatening or what ?

perfectblue, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  12. locomotion

locomotion Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Regardless, I'm certain that there would not be a term stating 'we only provide refund under removal of bad reviews'.

locomotion, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  13. Robert|Giga-International

Robert|Giga-International Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Let me use this opportunity to present our version of this unpleasant story.

When c44 signed up with us all was okay. The problems started when he asked for DNS services, which are not included in our VPS plans. Under normal circumstances you would use your domain registrars' DNS services or set up your own name servers. So instead of adding Namecheaps' name server into cPanel, c44 wanted to use our name servers. We do not offer this service for free (Namecheap does!) and therefore asked a little fee per domain and month. If you order a domain from us, the DNS service is of course included and the default settings we apply to cPanel work seamlessly.

We told c44 several that this sevice is normally provided by the company where you register your domains with, but this was as well ignored as several other attempts to provide proper service. c44 did not contribute a single constructive answer, all we ever received were rude insults. After the situation escalated (not even 24 hours after the first e-mail!) we offered several times to provide DNS services for free. This was as well ignored as the other questions we asked.

Also the accusation that we are only available at German business hours is a lie. We are available from 08.00 am GMT+1 to 11.00 pm GMT+1 seven days a week. These are *not* regular German business hours. We provide 15 hours of support every day, even on weekends and holidays. Also what is wrong to provide a regular German telephone number? Would you prefer a service number which might not be reachable from abroad or a number where you have to pay extraordinary high charges? Our business hours are no secret, you can find them on our website as well as in many threads we post in different forums. In addition to this, if you live somewhere in the Caribbean, why do you choose a European hosting company instead of an American one? This is really insane...

Anyway, I only wanted to give a short impression and did not want to leave this unresolved.

Thanks for reading,

Robert | Giga-International

14. c44

c44 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't want to lose all my life arguing with those guys but I see they continue to come and post here. It is incredible how unprofessional and "cheap" this company is. All this for 150 euros...

They refused to refund me even after I opened a PayPal dispute and they never offered me "free" DNS as he state above. The only 'offer' they made me was a refund if I remove this post...

Robert, take the 150 euros as a donation. With such practices I am sure you will not be in business for very long and it seams you need them more than I do.

c44, Oct 21, 2010 IP
  15. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    You are right. Webhosting marhet is very competative so I believe you will be able to find good web hosting solution sooon.

~ServerPoint~, Oct 22, 2010 IP
  16. websolpro

websolpro Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Robert from Giga Intl,

Could you please solve this ticket in fair manner? Thank you.
    [h=2]Ticket#2011120710000471[/h]

By reading this thread you seems to be very sincere with your company. But i am very disappointed with other staff. So please solve this ticket. thx.

Best Regards,
    Farrukh Hussain

websolpro, Dec 7, 2011 IP
  17. gmakhs

gmakhs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hello . its funny that i see this post so many years after i leaved their service :D
    giga international was and still the worst webhosting service out there. if i had problems like this 3-4 years before and i see they still suck what can i tell...

gmakhs, Jan 29, 2012 IP
  18. faizy4u

faizy4u Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hostgator :)

faizy4u, Feb 4, 2012 IP
  19. josipd

josipd Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello!

Anyone know, what is going on today in Giga international ?
    Stop working ?

I have problems every day with losting internet connection on their V-server..
    Two weeks ago, I signed in and payed 6 months..
    Is there any way to return money ?

josipd, Feb 20, 2012 IP
  20. gmakhs

gmakhs Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    cancel your hosting and change to another provider , they sucked 2 years ago and they stil suck... worst company ever.... and you must tell to the word about their awfull service so save another ppl ;)

gmakhs, Feb 20, 2012 IP