1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do XML sitemap updates the last modified date of any url automatically ?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by sudip03, Sep 18, 2010.

I have XML site map in my website but the problem is when i update the website content the url in the site map is not updating the last modified date.

Do i have to generate the site map over and over again when ever i change my website content?

Please help me out ......

sudip03, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  2. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How do you create your sitemaps? Blog/CMS plugins have the advantage they can read the value from a database. General sitemap generator tools can try extract last modified value in various way (A1 Sitemap Generator will e.g. check HTTP headers, meta tags, URL path for date patterns etc.), but always to some degree depend on your own coding/website.

websitetools, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  3. gooders74

gooders74 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should not have to generate a new sitemap each time

gooders74, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  4. StephanieTanner42

StephanieTanner42 Peon

Best Answers:
    To fully know the issue you need to focus on how your sitemap is generated. You shouldn't have to generate multiple ones but if you are using an unrecommended method such as creating it yourself or some random sitemap creating website the problem is in the creation. Try switching it up with a different method or chat with support from your host about the issue.

Stephanie Tanner Manager/Co-Founder of The Content Writing Group

StephanieTanner42, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  5. sudip03

sudip03 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but i use xml-sitemaps.com It's a reliable site as many webmasters use it too.

But my question was a little different. Do you have any idea about how Search engine comes to know about the last update of my site.

sudip03, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  6. sudip03

sudip03 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, but let me give you an example
    Now, <lastmod>2010-03-03</lastmod> shows the last modified date of my site. But i have updated the content of the page following this url many time. Still it is not changing. So how can you say that XML updates itself periodically.

sudip03, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  7. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Notice each URL has it's own lastmodified. But naturally, you will have to update the XML sitemap (either something done automatically, e.g. scheduled, or initiated by you or whatever) if you want updates reflected!

websitetools, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  8. StephanieTanner42

StephanieTanner42 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh yes, the search engine that crawls your website will look for the sitemap.xml file within your root directory. After making sure that the sitemap file is uploaded to the root properly, you need to ensure that you sitemap is accessible through the footer of your website. You should be able to add a footer link titled "sitemap" and hyperlink it to the page that hosts your sitemap i.e. www.yourwebpage.com/sitemap.xml (typically but it depends what the sitemap file name is of course). A good example would be to look at the PayPal website and many others that have a sitemap link at the bottom of their pages. Hope this helps!

Stephanie Tanner - Manager/Co-Founder The Content Writing Group

StephanieTanner42, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  9. redesignunit@gmail.com

redesignunit@gmail.com Banned

Best Answers:
    Just make lastmod points the right last modifying time. Google bots does not consider that entry, they know how to crowl in a clever way.
    But you can make a change to make the sitemap.xml to show right lastmod.

redesignunit@gmail.com, Sep 16, 2015 IP
  10. karnatisuman

karnatisuman Member

Best Answers:
    Hi you can try xml-sitemaps. By giving your website URL it will automatically generates sitemap.xml file for your website. Thanks

karnatisuman, Sep 16, 2015 IP