1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ listings still important for website owners?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by P4rD0nM3, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Two listing suggestions won't earn a ban. Spamming might.

However, a new listing suggestion merely replaces the previous one. If an editor sorts the pool by suggestion date (some do), yours will now be at the bottom of the list again - hardly the effect you were hoping for.

jimnoble, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  2. TheComputerNerdz

TheComputerNerdz Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem I have with DMOZ is that they give you no idea or confirmation when and if your site is added. It would be nice if you could at least email the editor in the group your trying to submit for and get a status update. I have gotten shot down for being an editor several times as well, which is frustrating. Do they need more editors to shorten the wait time on getting listed or not? LOL anyway I gave up hope on being listed, and will not submit again or try to apply to be an editor again!

TheComputerNerdz, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you suggested once that is sufficient, as Jim says more submissions can be counter-productive

We do need new editors, but we want ones who meet up to our criteria. Otherwise we would spend all our time correcting mistakes made by people who either could not follow guidelines or bother to read them, could not spell, had poor grammar or were not honest enough on their application. I hope perhaps Jim might comment further because he actually did the job of hiring new editors for many tears..

Anonymously, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  4. TheComputerNerdz

TheComputerNerdz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm an 11 year IT Professional with a Bachelors Degree in Networking and Telecommunications, I run my own business. I have expierence in web design, web administration, and minor SEO experience. Your telling me I don't meet up to the criteria to be a volunteer editor.

5. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    None of that factors in if you can be an editor or not! Being able to follow the guidelines and being honest in yoru application are the general criteria. You must have failed on one of those.

Agent000, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  6. TheComputerNerdz

TheComputerNerdz Peon

Best Answers:
    How can you follow guidelines if your not an editor? And what is there to lie about in the application? Nada senor I'll tell you that much. I mean how can you say follow guidelines in the first place, follow guidelines to what? I believe the last rejection was something to do with trying to pick a category to large, and the one I picked is actually very small. Riddle me that Batman? Next you'll be telling me I'm not following the guidelines to post on the Digital Point forums for christ sake.

7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    The guidelines are public. You have to follow them in the sample sites and descriptions you provide in the application. If you can't demonstrate you can follow the guidelines, then DMOZ does not want you. Judging by your post, you did not even know about the guidlines let alone follow them! No wonder you were rejected!

8. TheComputerNerdz

TheComputerNerdz Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright pal, the only thing about websites they ask in the application, is to list 2 or 3 that you'll list if you become an editor. The ones I listed are add free and up to standards in terms of a normal decent website. For example a child care website I listed as one I would submit if approved for editing. So what are these sample sites, I mean where you filling in the application to be a editor at the MORONOZ site. I mean I don't get why your even talking, you didn't even make the comment I quoted my response to.

9. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Did you follow the guidelines that you were asked to follow when you gave the sample sites their titles and description?

As they guidelines for apply to become an editor in part say:
    Judging by your posts above, you did not follow the guidelines - the exact quality that DMOZ is looking for.

10. TheComputerNerdz

TheComputerNerdz Peon

Best Answers:
    Listen here genius, I was applying for a county in the state i live in. The business section. Very small, currently only 190 listings. The sites I was submitting in an application, which imo asking me what sites would I submit if becoming and editor is stupid. What does submitting two or three have anything to do with an editor. They would be better off to give you three random example sites for the category in which your applying and asking you to describe it, and judge you from there. But that's a different can of worms. Anyway, I had three quality businesses and thier websites to submit. 1. Daycare 2. Bakery, and 3. IT company, all of which fall under the business category for my particular county. So again riddle me that Batman. And describing them isn't hard. Each person on this planet may describe it differently. My point is, anyone can learn to edit the way they want to, it's not like you have to be a newspaper editor to edit for DMOZ.

I really don't care about the editing part, i was volunteering my free time to help them. Not vice versa. They don't want the help, I got no problem with that. All I ever said to start with was they should be more interactive with the people who submit a site for listing. If they have all this time to read editor appliations, then they can certainly reply to an email once in a while. I've waited over 6 months to try and be listed, I'd just like to know if my site was rejected or is still pending. But alas I'll never know. And according to you, I'm an idiot so I guess my idiotic site will never get listed, because I'm to stupid to know what DMOZ looks for and what they don't, all the while my competition is listed on there with a similar site.

11. wptheme

wptheme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have your site ever been listed before? If not how would you know :)

wptheme, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  12. Agent000

Best Answers:
    and you obviously got in wrong in either sites not really being listable or you got it wrong in following the guidelines (which you admitted you did not know about). If you had got it right, you would have been accpeted!
    BUT, did you describe them according to the gudielines? (which you said you did not read)
    They do want help, but not from someone you can not follow the guidelines when selecting and describing sites. If you can't follow the guidelines, then you are more likely to do more harm than good as a senior editor is going to have to correct all the mistakes!

Agent000, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  13. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When evaluating editor applications, I'm primarily interested in:

Communication skills Do they understand the application form and it's questions? Can they spell? How's their grammar? Are they fluent in the category's language?

Can they become good editors? Do they understand the scope of the requested category? Can they find appropriate examples for it? Can they correctly title and describe them according to guidelines? The examples are important because they are are where a candidate can show how well they'll be able to do the job. We don't expect perfection here, because that can be taught. OTOH, irrelevant or unlistable examples with promotional descriptions don't impress.

Integrity Somebody, I think in this forum, once asked me how we measure this and I replied 'absence of lies' :).

A candidate's qualifications, real life experience and technical skills can all be good bonuses of course but the above points are more important

@TheComputerNerdz: I haven't seen your application(s) but one of your remarks deserves a couple of comments.
    - The application form itself advises candidates to request categories of fewer than 100 listings :(. This is because bitter experience has taught us that anything larger can be overwhelming. There's also the damage limitation aspect. New editors can and do screw up, often leaving other editors to pick up the pieces.

- Within our Regional sections, most websites are listed in their localities (irrespective of service area), not at county level. This makes county level applications more difficult. Editing them correctly can be frustrating too - which is why applications for many county level categories are disabled.

jimnoble, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. Helleborine used to be an editall editor.

popotalk, Sep 16, 2010 IP
    wptheme likes this.
  15. wptheme

Best Answers:
    Ok (blush) thats a lol to me, but I stand corrected, does he/she being an editor have a site listed on DMOZ. :)
    I am an editor myself and I can see a lot of difference in performance from sites before I listed compared to after I listed them. (I like to check back once in a while just incase they change) >> They get much more exposure in Search Engines.

wptheme, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  16. alexschooling

alexschooling Peon

Best Answers:
    No one knows there algorithm!

alexschooling, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  17. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I really have no idea if she has a site listed. (maybe a stained glass).:p

I have a site not listed in the ODP and ranks in the top of its keywords. :)

18. wptheme

Best Answers:
    So yes its not a must, but can you deny it that it won't help your site? :) I still see DMOZ as a relevant directory aiming to help categorize sites with quality content and useful infos. Most people doesn't accept the fact that just because their site is not accepted the ODP is worthless anymore. sigh..

wptheme, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be lying if I say "no", but from an seo point of view, a link is a link and every inbound link helps.
    I know that as I used to be an editor too. But the quality you are saying speaks only to some specific categories. Say for example the category you are editing, it can be quality as you maintain it. As a whole, I doubt it because of dead links, incompetent sites listed, or categories that have not been updated since I left. Now how would you call that quality. A wordpress theme site that is outdated is worthless.
    Search engines used to give high regards to some specific sites years ago as a measurement of its algorithm. Those days are gone. A link is a link.

20. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been keeping this opinion a secret for a long time, but here it is:

DMOZ listings are useless, the legend is old 'copypasta' from ten years ago. If you notice, this section of the digitalpoint forums isn't exactly haunted by top-notch SEOs, mostly amateurs with a couple of websites and little experience. Serious, successful SEOs don't bother with a DMOZ listing, let alone apply to be an 'editor!' That's a huge waste of time.

A good editor application takes quite a bit of time, is often refused outright (ODP is rather paranoid and its own worst enemy), and yields zero benefit even to yourself when you list your own site. You will get literally NO TRAFFIC from the DMOZ link. None at all. DMOZ is a haunted house, no one 'lives' there but the dead.

helleborine, Sep 16, 2010 IP