1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does God exist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by scylla, May 13, 2009.

1. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Define fairies.

No doubt you'll attempt to argue that beliefs about two different concepts should be equal. The concept of God is generally accepted to revolve around the original source of everything. The concept of fairies is generally accepted to compose a theory of creatures living in a fairy fort or some such construct. Apples and Oranges in terms of equating them, but please, go right ahead. I'll be keenly interested to know how the acceptance/rejection of either belief means all beliefs should be rejected/accepted simply because they are beliefs.

As an aside, do you believe in fairies?

rockyg, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  2. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Spirit beings which take on miniature human form with wings. You know what fairies are. Do you believe they exist?

What i'm arguing is that it's perfectly normal to reject the assertion that something exists even when you are unable to prove their nonexistence. There are a myriad of things you would say don't exist even though you are unable to prove it, so your god isn't entitled to special treatment. I'm sure if someone was trying to convince you that fairies existed you would say exactly what we say about your god - "prove it" - and would laugh if the "fairyists" thought a valid argument for their position was to demand you prove them wrong.

no i don't.

stOx, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  3. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

Mr. Dictator, I'm just a little curious by your pointless response what you were referring to.

What "very laws" are you referring to that refute anything or leads to the conclusion of "nothingness".

And just what have you people against fairies????

You are already dead BRUm like an alcoholic in a speeding automobile.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
    Breeze Wood, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  4. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Then no, I have no reason to believe they exist.

And its equally normal to reject an assertion that God does not exist when there is nothing to prove that statement. God is a concept, a theory, a belief. When there is no proof for or against a concept we can neither factually state that it is true or not true. Therefore the atheist position that 'god does not exist' is simply a belief that one particular theory does not hold true. It is not factually correct as no proof has been offered - by either side. On your basis we would have to reject the assertion that dreams are real, patently an absurd conclusion.

And bingo - Didn't I just tell you a few posts ago that you would equate a concept of fairies with the concept of God and here you go and do the exact predictable thing? Do you understand that not all concepts are equal? That not all beliefs are equal? That the rejection of Theory A does not mean we should reject Theory B simply because it is a theory also? Your argument is akin to insisting we reject all theories simply because they are theories - and to hell with examining the underlying reasoning behind the theory! It's a theory so it cannot possibly be true! In which case we must reject also reject the concept of dreams.

Equating your definition of fairies as winged minature humans with the concept of God as the original source of all things is patently comparing apples and oranges. They're both fruit so there cannot be possibly any difference between them!

rockyg, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I understand why you would like to pretend that your particular unsupported belief - a belief you admit is based on "faith. not science" - is entitled to special treatment over all other unsupported beliefs, but i think you have proven yourself to be an exceptional hypocrite unable to hold your own beliefs to the standards you expect others to hold theirs to. You claim that atheists "have no proof" that a good doesn't exist - while being unable to prove that it does - as if that somehow means atheists have no grounds to assert it, yet you disbelieve in things which you are equally unable to disprove. You assert that fairies don't exist, yet you are unable to disprove their existence.

So why, if you disbelieve in things which you are unable to disprove, shouldn't I? And don't forget, your beliefs aren't entitled to special treatment. Your entire premise seems to rest entirely on your assumption that your beliefs should be afforded special concessions, like giving the special kid at school a head start in the 100 meters.

If you want to play, at least have the guts to play by the rules you demand of everyone else.

stOx, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  6. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The laws of physics. I didn't say they refute anything. Just that you're scared of the nothingness death brings. Which also means you're mentally weak.

Coming from some little boy who lives with his parents. You say I'm dead, but I've lived and have seen more than you will ever see. I'll die happy knowing I've done so many things that made my life worthwhile. You, on the other hand, will only have delusions and missed opportunities your cult no doubt denied you, to look back on.

BRUm, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  7. Gerinja

Gerinja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what is so funny about the "brights" is that, they seem to carry themselves as very intelligent people, while the rest of people of faith are supposedly mentally weak... i may add that these is probably their illusion since, most of the arguments that they bring to the table against the possibility of existence of God are really lame

the fairies for example.
    i never believed on them, yet if someone had told me when i was a child, i would have probably believed fairies were real. now as we mature, we abandon some thoughts of our childhood and embrace real thoughts. same goes for santa claus and what other have you...

Gerinja, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -- Stephen F. Roberts

Will.Spencer, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  9. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're kidding right? Our arguments are lame. You just rattle off passages from thr bible. THAT is lame.

BRUm, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    You're on the path of personal development, don't give up now! Only one more fantasy to grow out of; You Can Do It!

[​IMG]

Will.Spencer, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  11. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    And I acknowledge that you would dearly love for atheism to be given special treatment for the fantastical myths it spins, but unfortunately, we must apply the same standard to all. Simply standing there and stomping your foot demanding everybody else provide proof for their beliefs while you provide none for your beliefs just does'nt cut the mustard I'm afraid - a fact borne out by over 90% of the world's population rejecting the atheist belief as absurd and illogical. Then again, logic was never a strong point of atheism.

As I explained, and which you continue to ignore probably because you are unable to refute it, your comparasion is like comparing apples and oranges. Two different theories yet you insist that if we reject theory A we must also go on to reject theory B, C, D, E, F - simply because they are theories also. Great going. Lets reject the theory of dreams too! Dreams are unproven, in other words they are a belief. Based on your position, we have to go right ahead and reject dreams because they are merely a belief without proof. Oh dear.

You can disbelieve in anything you want. That's your choice. I simply pointed out it was a belief you held and the atheist statement 'god does not exist' is not factually true. It's merely a belief with nothing to back it up.

And your assumption is that we should reject all theories simply because they are theories and to hell with their logic/reasoning. So we must reject the concept of dreams based on your insistence that we treat all beliefs as equal. You don't believe in dreams? If you are going to insist that others provide proof of their beliefs, then why are you above all others that you somehow don't need to provide any proof for your own personal beliefs? There is nothing special about atheism. It's just a belief, albeit a belief that thinks is is above the requirement of proof. You are the pot calling the kettle black. You put forth a belief yet provide no proof. Whereas the next person puts forth a belief, and you suddenly demand proof of them. Great stuff if it wasn't so mind numbingly boring.

Aww shucks, are you all cross you've been called up to provide proof of your beliefs? Just like you stomp your foot and demand proof of everyone else's beliefs? Poor Diddums. Get over it. It's fine. There's no need to get all uppity just because you have no proof for your beliefs. Neither does anyone else, the only difference being that everyone else admits it, while you, somehow, continue to believe in myths and fantasies.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    rockyg, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  12. Breeze Wood

Breeze Wood Peon

Best Answers:

This post ^ is the proof of your beliefs.....:)

Breeze Wood, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  13. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    God doesn't exist I have proof !!! Wait , scratch that I don't .

I'm putting a prize out : prove that God (Christian version) doesn't exist .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  14. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:

But...but...the atheists said he doesn't exist...what more proof do you require?!

rockyg, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  15. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're proud of the fact you can point out the obvious? Here, have a gold star! :)

BRUm, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  16. supernal

supernal Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, you should know that the onus (the burden of proof) is upon the person making the positive claim.

So people that CLAIM that God exists (theists), have to prove it if you want us to believe your claim.

Conversely, every atheist that wants to go out of their way to say God doesn't exist rather than just getting the fuck on with their lives, they're welcome to provide proof to their claim as well.

supernal, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  17. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The treatment i expect it to receive is exactly the same as what i'd expect your assertion that fairies don't exist to receive. Is it a "fantasy" when you claim fairies don't exist?

Tell us, how does your assertion that fairies don't exist differs from my assertion that your god doesn't? I can't prove that your god doesn't exist, but then, you can't prove that fairies don't exist. Yet, for some reason, you have the audacity to pretend that your position makes sense while mine doesn't.

I'm not saying reject it on the grounds that it's a "theory" (read unsupported assertion), i'm saying if it's illogical for atheists to assert that a god doesn't exist, how can your assertion that fairies don't exist then be logical? You keep telling us they are different, in what way are they different? Stop expecting special treatment on the grounds that your beliefs are weak, unsupported and facile.

I'll say it again, see if you can muster the courage and intellectual honesty to answer instead of evading the question like a coward. If, as you say, atheists have no grounds to assert that a god doesn't exist because they can't prove it why are you entitled to assert that fairies don't exist? And if your own rules shouldn't apply to your own assertions, why shouldn't they?

You aren't a special kid on sports day, you aren't entitled to special treatment.

stOx, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  18. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Interesting , and what does sustain the existence of fairies ? The general consensus is that fairies , dragons , zombies and other mystical creatures don't exist . How does one doubt the nonexistence of fairies ?

ApocalypseXL, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  19. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's magic.

Consensus? Are you saying your disbelief is based on the fact that it's the majority view?

stOx, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  20. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Ah , your violent childish replies never fail to bring a smile to my face .

I am saying that besides bullshit like "It's magic" , "Because I know" , "I have seen it on TV" , etc. You have no evidence to the contrary . As for the majority I'm sure that you're familiar whit the expression "Vox populi" , so as far as we humans know today the majority's opinion holds the truth . In order to say that the crushing majority is wrong you'd have to be a genius .

And besides you don't believe in fairies yourself . Can you argue their existence and say that you're not lieing ?

ApocalypseXL, Sep 14, 2010 IP