1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is there any legal problem in using a popular website name as a suffix?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by balasundaram, Sep 14, 2010.

Is there any legal problem in using a popular website name as a suffix which is available for registration. For example: Healthyahoo.com or Yogawikipedia.org.

Will they sue me?

Thanks in advance..

balasundaram, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  2. dragonbyte

dragonbyte Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's okay. :) Because I'm own 2 domains like that for over 4 years :)

dragonbyte, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  3. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Just because you have not yet been caught does not mean you wont be. ofcourse it is illegal and just asking to be sued.

lcwadminbj, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  4. UcFrog

UcFrog Peon

Best Answers:
    how about posting something easy extra money into thread is that legal ? :/

UcFrog, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  5. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yup. Look up domain and trademark infringement.

You won't necessarily be sued, but you might receive a C&D notice asking (or demanding)
    you give the domain name to them or else. If you especially use a famous one like those
    you mentioned above, you'll surely get their attention.

Up to you.

Dave Zan, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  6. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    You may well get a C&D notice irrespective of what your doing with them. The likelihood of their request being enforcable will depend on the actual brand name (eg is it a dictionary word), what the topic of the site is -v- what the brands areas of activity are, any similarity of branding and which country you operate and host from.

If your looking to make money from their brand or make it look as something to do with their brand you will probably have issues unless it is simple "commentry" - some countries do allow fair use for commentry of trademarks.

If your wanting to have "InsureTheGAP.com" and offer GAP insurance then your unlikely to run into problems with the clothing brand GAP (but they may offer to buy the domain anyway)

AstarothSolutions, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  7. Andrew-tbkCreative

Andrew-tbkCreative Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a legal question. And an important, integral decision for the future well-being of your company. Get legal advice dude. I'm no lawyer but based on what you said above, I wouldn't go forward without seeking legal advice. Seriously.

Andrew-tbkCreative, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  8. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    A rather blanket statement. It depends on the specific case, and issues such as do they have a trademark in your jurisdiction.

Andrew, of course, is correct. Seek professional legal advice, not forum chat.

contentboss, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  9. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    they can but they will probably not unless you are really big or done big deal damage

DoDo Me, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  10. fileidol

fileidol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's illegal but if you are not convinced just try to park the domain in SEDO.COM and you will see .

fileidol, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  11. 24788

24788 Peon

Best Answers:
    If I started a site called Amazonfinds.com it could either be illegal or legal.

Legal: Amazon finds - If it was a blog about the actual amazon not the company. I would capture beautiful images of the amazon. I could be sued, but they'd have no possible way of winning unless they bought the judge.

Illegal: using it to relate to their company. Amazon sells cd's? I'm not sure what they sell only been there once and I know it's not about the actual amazon. I wouldn't call it that then show cd's.

24788, Sep 26, 2010 IP