1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A formatting question that might sound totally strange to you

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by tayiper, Sep 28, 2006.

?

Which particular type of formatting is better ??

1. to use the colon after the ending/ending tag

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. to use the colon before the closing/ending tag

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
    OK, I don't know if this is the right section, but I couldn't find a better one. Also, I confess that this thread is most probably the "result" of my obsessive pedantry, and the result of me being a kind of a "formatting maniac" ...

For instance, consider my software.html page. As you can see, in all cases where I link to some program's website, I use the colon character after the "strong" closing/ending tag. But the thing is that on the very same page, I also use it the other way, i.e. use the colon char before the closing tag so that it's itself bold too.

Example of one such program's link:

... <strong>BartPE</strong>: <a href="http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder" onclick="target='_blank';">http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder</a> ...
    Code (markup):
    Example of one such navigational text:

<strong>My various blogs:</strong>
    Code (markup):
    <strong>TinyURL:</strong>
    Code (markup):
    <strong>Disclaimer 1:</strong>
    Code (markup):

So since I am a "formatting maniac" (and like things being consistent through the site/page), I've decided to use the same formatting in both cases (i.e. in case of programs and these navigational etc. texts), therefore I am curious: by various written or un-written design "standards", which option is better, and which one would you prefer personally.

thanks in advance, tayiper

tayiper, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It looks to me as if you're using the strong tag to simulate a header. If you want a header, use a header tag. That said, and if that's the case, the colon punctuates the header. Thus, <h3>My various blogs:&nbsp;&nbsp;</h3>, would be the way to go.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  3. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the punctuation should always be used in the style tags, <b> <strong> <h1> etc.

rosiee007, Sep 28, 2006 IP
    tayiper likes this.
  4. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks both for your opinions ...

tayiper

tayiper, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  5. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Urgh, now I got so many different opinions (also on other forums) that I am even more confused than before, lol ...

tayiper

tayiper, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  6. Gordaen

Gordaen Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it matters too much, if you are consistent. I would include it within a strong, h, em, or other similar tag though, because it is part of the title or category. For instance, if a book is called "Holy Crap: The Story of Saintly Dung," the first two words (including the colon) would generally be written in a larger font (such as on the front of the book) than the subtitle.

That being said, in the case of anchor tags, if only the main title is a link, then I end the link before the colon.

*shrug*

Gordaen, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  7. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    tayiper, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  8. thevenerablez

thevenerablez Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like you could use a Dreamweaver template! It would save you a lot of time. I use it plenty for complicated pages.

thevenerablez, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  9. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Uhhh, well no, I am sure that it "doesn't look like this", i.e. I personally hate templates and WYSIWYG type of programs, and my site is "hand crafted" from the very beginning, and in fact, I am quite proud because of this ...

Also, I am really not sure what could possibly a Dreamweaver template have to do with these strictly formatting-related questions of mine !!

tayiper

tayiper, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  10. Gordaen

Gordaen Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like you've been posting replies to a bunch of threads that are minimalistic and scarcely related. Feel free to post all you want when your comments are relevant, but posting several times a minute with one-sentence replies that contribute nothing is not useful. If all Dreamweaver templates do the formatting in question a specific way, then that could be a useful contribution. Simply saying that one could use Dreamweaver templates has nothing to do with the thread, nor does it help with the original question.

Gordaen, Oct 2, 2006 IP