1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla vs Drupal - Comparision

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by ablaye, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Torsten

Torsten Peon

Best Answers:
    ... I still will stick to wordpress for most of the time. But then I'm only looking for a tool that can easily handle smaller websites, has good SEO features, and does allow for basic widgets. I don't say the others are bad, but still would have to learn more about them i.e. getting them manageable for my purposes (gaining advertizing space for products and services under certain keywords)....

Torsten, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  2. jagdeepnegi0

jagdeepnegi0 Peon

Best Answers:
    depends on what you're going for.It's just not SEF by nature. So I would not suggest using it for simple sites, since its realy time consuming to run it on Joomla.

jagdeepnegi0, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  3. Alexandros1

Alexandros1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla has many great templates available in the community, and in this area, Joomla has the advantage over Drupal -- it's easier to find a professional-looking template to skin your Joomla site than it is to find one for your Drupal site. That's not to say that great Drupal themes don't exist or that it isn't possible to develop a great Drupal theme. Just the opposite. The themeing level of Drupal is very powerful, and exposes Drupal core functionality more effectively than the templating level of Joomla takes advantage of its core functionality.

Alexandros1, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  4. hospitaleracha

hospitaleracha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like an excellent idea! SY

hospitaleracha, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  5. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone talks about the learning curve of Drupal, but in my effort to go forth and learn it, I find either a $40 book or docs that a Russian national must have written with a one month crash course in English writing. There literally nothing available for a beginner without forking out serious cash. To say it's open source kind of begs the question of where's the open source learning docs. I found the docs on the Drupal site to be kind of hideous. And i program :eek:

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  6. laurief

laurief Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes me few hours to start building the first site with Drupal without any farther reading at all (with advanced help module installed). Indeed Drupal's documentation is little strange to understand at first (as Drupal itself) but once you put a little effort anything is ok.

laurief, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  7. bapatnmintri

bapatnmintri Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, I agree. But even though you may learn Drupal, you still can't answer this question without actually knowing what you want out of your website?

Here's something that I have learned while I was in my "Blogger->Wordpress->Drupal/Joomla" phase! Probably everyone goes through the same path I would say. Start with a blog and end with trying out the different things Drupal offers and all the plug-ins available at wordpress! But in just one try you know, Wordpress wins over Blogger :p

Anyhow, coming back. Ill try making this point number wise. Each point no. can be compared to the same point no. of the other (if I can keep this going) :confused:

Things may have changed from when I used it, so some of it may be wrong, correct me in that case. So generally, depends on you, what is it that you are looking for? Which has more ticks (by ticks I mean selecting which points you want) Drupal or Joomla?

Hope this helps. TC
    Regards.

bapatnmintri, Jul 14, 2010 IP
    TheVccMatey likes this.
  8. LittleWing

LittleWing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @bapatnmintri nice info :)

LittleWing, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  9. Terko

Terko Peon

Best Answers:
    I think, that Drupal is great. I tried Joomla, but almost every module is paid... In Drupal forums I can find people that can help me. I use Drupal from 5 years and I am very happy with it.

Terko, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  10. Torsten

Torsten Peon

Best Answers:
    I found it similar. They help on both forums but help at drupal seems to be more directed. I still use wordpress tough, because it has all the features that I would like a cms to have.

Torsten, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  11. MilesB

MilesB Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I used to think people at Drupal were asshats. Turns out I was wrong. Everyone is willing to help provided you ask the right questions and don't sound like a noob.

MilesB, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  12. DCrux334

DCrux334 Guest

Best Answers:
    I think Joomla is the best one as it is used by all the web master to create the dynamic web sites. Also it has the many features like extendibility, user friendly and it has several themes.

DCrux334, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  13. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like Joomla better

dougadam, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  14. joshmicky

joshmicky Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I think Joomla is better than Drupal. Thanks.

joshmicky, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  15. laurief

laurief Peon

Best Answers:
    wondering about how many of those said "joomla is better" have worked with both cms...

laurief, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  16. HTMwrestling.com

HTMwrestling.com Peon

Best Answers:
    The things I'm hearing about Virtuemart scare me :( It almost sounds like some bastard child of osC.

HTMwrestling.com, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  17. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer Peon

Best Answers:
    Not that I'm super experienced, but I started with Drupal, then I read several forums talking about joomla being so easy and great. So, i went and tried joomla for a little bit. I could not do what i WANTED. So, I buckled down and got a book on drupal and am now doing everything I want.

I think for someone who doesn't know anything about anything, joomla might seem like a great cms. However, if you have any clue about the real potential of a website, and have definite ideas of what you want to do with your site, there is no comparison between Drupal and joomla. Joomla is just so limited on so many aspects it's not even funny. For me the frustration I had with joomla stemmed from the product, and not my understanding of it, as I had with Drupal. But, like I said, once i tightened my belt and sat down and learned, there is no way I would make a site with Joomla.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  18. Maximus325

Maximus325 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal is better ..for me

Maximus325, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  19. davidtran

davidtran Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, It does really well. There are some extensions for to support adsense revenue sharing. I don't have a privilege to post a link to show you right now. Therefore, please search Google for "jomsocial adsense revenue sharing".

Drupal is difficult to get started but it really good for SEO. I prefer Joomla because it is easy to use, easy to develop further, a lot of community extensions. Joomla 1.6 (currently under Beta 10) will support SEO very well.

Anyway, I'm developing for both :D

davidtran, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  20. laurief

laurief Peon

Best Answers:
    I totaly agree.
    Unfortunaly in my case I spend 2+ years with Joomla before decide to give Drupal a chance. Never installed Joomla again afterwards.

laurief, Sep 28, 2010 IP